BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
On previous cars, I have dropped the front sub-frame with engine and transmission to a dolly and rolled it right out for easy access. I thought I would do the same thing on my touring. I already had all of the front steering and strut assemblies off of the car. Six bolts and everything should drop free, so I thought. With engine hoist attached, the bolts all came free. I started to lower the sub-frame, but nothing moved. It became obvious that something else was holding it. Finally, I discovered the rear underside of both sides of the sub-frame were welded to the frame! Has anyone else heard of this practice? The car has never been in an accident, however, both floor pans are bent due to improper jacking. I am planning to repair this after my current repairs are done. I was going to cut the welds but reconsidered on the side of caution.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the slow reply. I tried to pry the sub-frame free but could tell it was binding at the back end like another bolt was holding it. I will take a picture, but I will need to raise the chassis up to be able to show where the weld is. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I've done the sump gasket too, and the subframe does drop. If memory serves there may have been a couple of spot welds, but nothing major.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
The front subframe is not welded to the chassis by the factory , although it often gets seized into place over the years .

D

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Interesting. I distinctly remember being p*ssed off as I thought I'd blown the alignment when I saw what looked like the broken spot welds. Wish I'd taken a picture at the time.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Wish I'd taken a picture at the time.
Me too !

I should be pulling another subframe off soon , so I'll take a look then !

I've had some drop down easily , but who's to say that those particular ones had not been removed before ?

I've had others that have been a real ***** to drop down , so perhaps they hadn't ?

Yet another M5 bit of trivia to investigate !

D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
219 Posts
Golly, that's definitely a weld.
Gotta wonder why you'd bother?

Reactions: davidoli

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was wrong!

Gentlemen,
I apologize for giving out wrong information. The sub-frame is not tack welded to the frame as I stated at the start of this thread. There is a weld and when the sub-frame is tight to the frame, it look's like it is secured to the frame, but it is not.

I just got back from pulling another sub-frame from the local wrecking yard. This sub-frame had the exact weld that mine had. I knew I wasn't that unlucky, so I assumed this must be standard for the sub-frame. It took me almost four hours to get it free, because it was being held by the dowels on the back most hole. This has been discussed and referenced in several posts by several members. I personally apologize to these members for not heeding their knowledge and advice.

The one good thing I accidentally found was a nifty tool for pulling the sub-frame. I was not prepared for another sticking sub-frame so I improvised with the tools I had. I had a Harbor Freight ball joint puller that does it's appointed job quite well. You can also separate it and wedge it between the frame and sub-frame. Then you use the screw against the frame to spread and ultimately drop the sub-frame free. I will post pictures this coming week.

I will also post pictures of the weld on the new piece once I get it cleaned up. I hope this correction gets out to everyone. These cars are hard enough knowing the correct procedures. Having somebody, muddy the waters with bad information is in very poor form. This was not the start I had hoped for...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts