BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While swapping out control arm bushings for monoballs I discovered - to my horror - the hole for the driver's side rear control arm (the straight one) mount in the subframe had 'wandered' (see images below).

I suspect this is due to not being torqued to spec.

My question is whether it's worth it to try and repair/patch the mount or just pony up and swap out the entire subframe? I assume the latter will come with a labor cost premium.

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
While swapping out control arm bushings for monoballs I discovered - to my horror - the hole for the driver's side rear control arm (the straight one) mount in the subframe had 'wandered' (see images below).

I suspect this is due to not being torqued to spec.

My question is whether it's worth it to try and repair/patch the mount or just pony up and swap out the entire subframe? I assume the latter will come with a labor cost premium.
Ugh. I would replace. Cheap part (get from Clemster) and do it yourself over a weekend. That said, I'm sure it could be welded back into spec.

--Peter

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
Thanks Peter,

It looks like removing the front subframe will require suspending the engine?
Correct! And if you have never done it before, it sounds like a big deal, but I assure you, it is not! I absolutely have done this myself--no help--many times. It is rather easy. It just SEEMS daunting. But it's not.

--Peter

I also note that you are in Seattle. My son, Sam (boardmember with his own E39 M5), starts at Cray Supercomputer this Summer after he graduates, so if you want some help, he and/or I can certainly provide it at that point!

--Peter

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct! And if you have never done it before, it sounds like a big deal, but I assure you, it is not! I absolutely have done this myself--no help--many times. It is rather easy. It just SEEMS daunting. But it's not.

--Peter

I also note that you are in Seattle. My son, Sam (boardmember with his own E39 M5), starts at Cray Supercomputer this Summer after he graduates, so if you want some help, he and/or I can certainly provide it at that point!

--Peter
Thanks for the vote of confidence Peter and for the very generous offer. Hopefully I will be done with the subframe by the summer.

Congratulations to your son at what sounds like a very cool job (i've always been curious about the work Cray does). If you guys want any local recommendations, advice, or even a tour guide I would be happy to help.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to close the loop. Had the subframe replaced. No sweat.

I had a very reputable frame shop (Tru-Line) take a look and they thought it would be very easy to repair and did not warrant the replacement, but I wanted the peace of mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
Landscraper
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing