BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger seat rattles when I drive along with no one sitting in it. If I push the backrest fairly hard it stops. Does anyone else have this or know the screw/bolt which I can tighten to stop this?? I prob spend 50% of my time without any passengers and it's driving me nuts!

Cheers,
Barney.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
welcome to the club my drives seat creeks alittle but has no play in it get that. the m5 loves to make creeking noises its part of the experince lol

·
Registered
576 Posts
My passenger seat rattles when I drive along with no one sitting in it. If I push the backrest fairly hard it stops. Does anyone else have this or know the screw/bolt which I can tighten to stop this?? I prob spend 50% of my time without any passengers and it's driving me nuts!

Cheers,
Barney.
Hi Barney, the rattle is sometimes caused by the first aid kit under the passenger seat. Remove the kit to check.
Wane.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hi Barney, the rattle is sometimes caused by the first aid kit under the passenger seat. Remove the kit to check.
Wane.
+1 on that - I found a couple of coins between the first aid box and the steel frame - annoyed me for about 2 months before I finally decided to have a look!! ouich

Richie.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The First Aid Kit does rattle sometimes but you can here that's from low down at the front and a good shove usually stops it.

This is a decidedly bigger rattle (not a squeak) which stops if you put your arm behind the passenger seat and push fairly hard...... Also, it goes when someone sits in it.....

·
Registered
371 Posts
Had this problem, but it was coming from the headrest. Try pushing the headrest forward and down against the top of the seat, if the rattle stops, either leave it that way, or replace the headrest mounting system $$$.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had this problem, but it was coming from the headrest. Try pushing the headrest forward and down against the top of the seat, if the rattle stops, either leave it that way, or replace the headrest mounting system $$$.

Good Luck!
Turns out you're bang on with your diagnosis. All I have to do is lower the passenger head restraint as far as it'll go and problem solved. Still can't figure out why pushing the seat from behind stopped the noise though....

Cheers!

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
A loose fire extinguisher clip is the most common cause of these rattles.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Ashok,

It was def the head restraint as the rattle has gone now it's right down. I am very curious about the fire extinguisher though as I didn't even know I had one. Where is it located?

Barney

PS. When's the next meet??

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Hi Ashok,

It was def the head restraint as the rattle has gone now it's right down. I am very curious about the fire extinguisher though as I didn't even know I had one. Where is it located?

Barney

PS. When's the next meet??
Mine was under my driver's seat - see the attached photo:

http://www.ashok.fotopic.net/p632661.html

No meets planned yet as I've been too busy but I'll try and arrange something - promise! :3:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts