BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Front right sway bar bracket snapped clean off. HELP!!!

6125 7
I have no idea how this happened but it obviously took a hell of a whack. I mean, the bracket is welded to the front sub frame so I have no idea what this is going to entail. It looks like there's a mounting plate welded to the crossmember and that snapped as well. Has anyone ever seen this? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
The exact same thing happend to me I bought a replace my subframe with the bar I was going to post a thread asking if engine needs held with cradle to replace subframe
These subframes aren't expensive I bought mines from eBay

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

· Registered
104 Posts
The exact same thing happend to me I bought a replace my subframe with the bar I was going to post a thread asking if engine needs held with cradle to replace subframe
These subframes aren't expensive I bought mines from eBay

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yes the engine needs to be supported if you drop the subframe. Have a look to the #3 step of the rod bearing DIY (http://www.germanautosolutions.com/diy_tech/m5_rod_bearings/s85_rod_bearing_change_diy_forum.php) , you will see how to hold it safe. The threaded hole mentionned on the explaination is a 8mm metric, a 30mm long bolt will do fine.

You will have to change a few washers on the steering hoses, bleed the steering gear and redo a full geometry at the end of the job. Good luck.

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So I found a shop here in Louisville that is pretty awesome. Winning Formula. The first pic is of the broken mounting plate that is welded to the sub frame. They straightened out both the part of the plate still attached and the piece that broke off and then welded them back together. The end result looks pretty good. Thanks for your guy's input.

· Registered
1 Posts
i’ve got a 550i with a 6 speed that had the left one break off. how much did the shop charge to weld a new one cause i have a replacement bracket i’ve just been trying to get an estimate or if i should go ahead and buy a frame off of ebay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts