BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
I know that in LA, you can get hit with a fixit ticket for leaving it off. That said, mine is off. I would rather not have a plate blocking precious cooling air while driving in the hot SFV during summer.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i keep mine off and I think it looks A LOT cleaner.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
I left mine off-

but I keep a folded up new car registration taped to the front window in the lower right corner- to a casual cop it looks like a newly purchased used car. (Hopefully)

:)

·
Registered
569 Posts
I already had one on mine when I bought it.

I'll remove it when I move back to GA as it's not required there. :1:

But, I didn't bother to put one on the front of the Vette when I got it registered here in WA either. I just ride around with it in the back in case I ever get stopped over it.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Mine is also off, although it is illegal in the state of Virginia. I have yet to be stopped, I believe police have more important things to worry about other than my front plat.ouich However, if I get pulled over and they wanna make an issue, it could cost me $100, but I am willing to pay that for the cleaner look!!lovelove Take care everyone!:wroom:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Mine is on (law in Ohio) and has an LE-30 mounted right along the bottom edge.

:cheers:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mine is off, but I have all the necessary parts to put it on in the trunk in case I get a ticket.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
OFF OFF OFF.... So far not hasseled in the Chicago area (actually north suburbs... Chicago's finest DO enforce this). Keep the plate under the seat just in case...

Cheers,

·
Registered
283 Posts
(no offence to law local enforcement officials)... but here in Canada the police really dont have anything better to do then to pull ticket-me-blue BMW's over for the smallest of things like something so trivial as a licence plate holder. I really want to take mine off, but, with my luck id actually be ticketed with it parked in my driveway. In British Columbia its mandatory you have one on.

grrrrrrr

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Leave it off, although it's illegal in Illinois. I've never had a problem, but my dad got a ticket in his porsche for no front plate while his car was parked at a meter in chicago. I keep my plate under the front seat and just throw it up on the dash when I park on the street.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Well, the parking Nazi's got me in front of my house no less - street cleaning day. I wanted to know if the front plate mount blocks the intake area - anyone have a picture of this thing? I may just pay it and put the plate in the window.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
It's a $104 fine here now!

:cheers:

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
I've left the temporary paperwork taped to the edge of the front window- cops look at me, see that and never check the rear plate (so far...)

A

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Nidan said:
Does anyone keep a front license plate on their beast?
What's that?

Seriously: I don't have one. During regular driving, cops either don't notice or are nice. They can be opposite me at an intersection and they choose not to do anything. However, I think if you park in city streets, then the parking cops will tag you. I hear stories of tickets on city parking spots. Also, if you give regular cops or troopers a reason, then I'm sure they'll be glad to ticket you.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Its illegal not to have them in Victoria, Australia, and it always has been that way (as far as I can remember - im only 25), so I have mine on

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
In California, front plates are required, though a lot of BMWs run w/o them. In San Francisco, watch out if you park on the street or any city owned garage! The parking control officers will give you a ticket for sure and it's $100.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts