BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I will be getting my M5 next week (I hope) and asked the sales person to ensure that the dealership doesn't drill holes to mount the front plate holder. Checking the DMV website it seems that I can legaly Velcro the plate mount on the front. However, he said that the car already comes with the plate mount already in place. I've read through some of these postings that the dealer puts on the plate mount. I hope someone can clear this up. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My car's going to have the front plate mount when it gets here, as

a) we did Euro Delivery
b) front plates are required in Germany
c) the front plate mount is installed when you pick up the car and that's all there is to it.

I don't intend to put a front plate on the car when it gets here, and will pull off the plate mount, but I guess I'm just not fanatical enough to worry about the holes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Originally posted by basil:
he said that the car already comes with the plate mount already in place. I've read through some of these postings that the dealer puts on the plate mount. I hope someone can clear this up. Thanks.
Your dealer is incorrect. I asked my dealer not to put the front plate on mine when it gets here next weekend. He thought it came with the front plate brackets and tried to convince me of it, but I debated with him for a few moments until he said that they just got another M5 they were prepping in the back and we could just go see.

When we got to the service department, we were faced with a black M5 with red interior (looks better than I thought it would) with NO FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKETS, just a clean front bumper.

I was promised no plate, but we'll see... I hope they don't screw up and put it on.

-TheTooth
LeMans/LeMans on the boat... oh, why does the boat take so long...

·
Registered
112 Posts
My colleage's M5 comes with a plate mount that is of the same color as the car. The picture that kind of best describes it is at the www.bmwusa.com M5 gallery.

Basically, the plate mount bracket is the same color as your car, and is of the same size as the license plate. If anyone knows where I can get this type of front license plate mount bracket, please let us know.

I have seen other M5's with black-strip run-along-the-front-rim license plate holder, and I don't like that.

Is there a way to specify the type of front plate mount bracket? If the dealer does not have something that I like, I'd rather velcro it than to drill holes in the front of the car.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I agree...up here in MA we are running around without a front plate. Fortunately our inspection place was cool about it and let us off. I think we are going to try and transfer a green plate to the car, however....

-Chris

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey Chris... I see you live in Springfield, MA. Give me an email or something... I was wondering if you could show me a bit your m5. I don't have one myself... but I am a pure enthusiast! Give me an email or something... and we can hook up. BTW... I live in Chicopee, MA.

- matt - moderator -

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I wouldnt do the velcro thing- gfb the plate pops off on the highway and turns into a dangerous projectile- you would be responsible.

ME

·
Registered
158 Posts
my two pennies.

here in MA you legally have to have a front plate on your car. however, the law is relatively new (< 10 years?) so nobody pays much attention to it. i'd guess it's about 50/50 or so.

when i picked up my M5 it had no front plate and i intended to keep it that way. however, i couldn't get my state inspection without it (rational), so the dealer put it on. grrrrr.

the GOOD NEWS is that it's not that big a deal IMO. it's two screws into the bumper. your front plate kit came with a bunch of screws, the plate holder and FOUR SCREW HEAD COVERS. take off the bracket, put the two screws that held the bracket in BACK IN and then cover them up with two of the screw head covers.

you end up with two dimples on your front bumper that don't look that bad at all.

if you're going to do this, do it quickly - otherwise you risk the plastic covered up by the bracket fading in the sun - then it'll look silly when you take it off.

ymmv,
shawn

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im sick of the FRONT PLATE (its ugly and hides the "scooped out" airdam)........Im removing it and my friend at BMW is ordering a "BLACK STRIP" that BMW makes to cover those ugly drilled holes.....

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all who responded to my query. I just saw my car and verified that the front bumper has no provisions for a plate. I've stuck on one side of some velcro to the plate area and instructed the salesman to ensure that it stays that way. I plan to remove the velcro as soon as I take possession of the car. "A Simple Plan" Anth/Blk/ExecAll/ByrClb/del/del

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hey Palumbo,
Are you sure those strips will work on the M5? I know it does on the regular 5 but I think our bumpers are a little different. I have been going through this B$#L%^IT now since I got my car. I had that salesman write on the order NO BUMPER MOUNTED TAG, here in Florida they usually put the dealer tag on since we don't need the state plate on the front as well. Of course the DU&*[email protected] put it on there leaving a drilled and scratched bumper behind. "No worries" they cried as they promised to have it fixed by the body shop. Do you think they return my phone calls though? No they don't. When something happens I will let you guys know.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lear,
Sorry to hear your sad story. It is in fact this eveingings nightmare as my car will be preped by the dealer tomorrow per similar arrangements. Best of luck to us both.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Let us all gather together and hope all turns out well... Come on everyoboy, group hug!

- Tooth
LeMans/LeMans to be prepped this week and ready for me to pick up on the 22nd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts