BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha...so I am trying to register my car in NJ and need to mount the front license plate. I've seen the tow hook option and the hide-away, but prefer the oem mount.

Does anyone have one laying around or know where I can order one that is painted. I ordered a front plate holder painted for my M3 years ago, but can't find anyone selling those for the M5. My local dealers have to order the holders too, so I may as well try to find one pre-painted space grey. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Just leave it off, looks much better. I've been running without a front plate for 2 years now and have not had any problems (***knock-wood***).

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I just got a ticket for no front plate so bought the tow hook mount, took it to the court house, po po signed off and paid a $10 fine. Then I got home and took it off and my front end looks sweet again. Tow hook mount is the way to go. Also, the only reason I got the ticket was because I was speeding and I came up behind the cop so he couldn't give me a ticket for speeding, so he walked around my car a couple of times and came up with the no plate ticket.

I do have a factory plate mount but its painted Indy red.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just attached my front plate to the plastic mesh below the bumper with plastic zip ties through the holes of the license plate. I noticed no increase in oil temp as plate is in front of oil cooler. The cooler still looks like it gets adequate airflow. It doesn't look bad at all since the plate sits back and low.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I just attached my front plate to the plastic mesh below the bumper with plastic zip ties through the holes of the license plate. I noticed no increase in oil temp as plate is in front of oil cooler. The cooler still looks like it gets adequate airflow. It doesn't look bad at all since the plate sits back and low.
got pics?

this seems to be a good solution to me, but i'd be really concerned about loss of power from restricted airflow. Maybe you can drill many small holes in the plate to almost make it perforated.

·
Registered
641 Posts
got pics?

this seems to be a good solution to me, but i'd be really concerned about loss of power from restricted airflow. Maybe you can drill many small holes in the plate to almost make it perforated.
I'm by no means an authority on this, but I think most of if not all of the airflow for the engine is picked up through the kidney grills. The lower grill is for the radiator and oil cooler.

·
Registered
366 Posts
This seems like the way to go if you absolutely want to go with a permanently installed front plate.

When I lived in California, I got stopped twice for not having a front plate. Both times I was issued a "fix it" ticket, so I would tie-wrap the plate to the lower mesh area of the front of the car, drive the police station, and have the ticket voided, paying a $15 processing fee. To add, the DMV doesn't keep records of fix-it tickets, so there's no penalty for repeating this process if you keep getting stopped.

I recently moved to Connecticut, and although I don't want to find out the "hard way", I wonder if they have the same fix-it ticket laws here?

I have one of these and it works quite nicely: No Holes Front License Plate Bracket. It is also far less expensive than the OEM part.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks for posting the pic...I think I will go with this method as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts