1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Why not just leave the plate off and take your chances?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not just leave the plate off and take your chances?
Well around where I live in Houston they seem to be looking for it or at least they did on vette we shall see on this car. the top flight unit is nice thogh no holes then two wing nuts take all but a 3m attached backer plate off so you can quickly remove it with two wing nuts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I have a Skene set of brackets on my M6 as I did not want to drill any holes into the face of the bumper. The Skene setup is 2 brackets (you space them out as you need) which mount via a single screw each on the underside of the bumper. The come in Euro (short) and U.S. height models. Also, they come in a variety of offset lengths (to accomodate how how deep you bumper is). Since it is 2 brackets, you can hand curve your plate and mount it up as you like. I had to curve my Euro size plate because when it was flat, one side interfered with the front park distance sensor.

Skene Design

I used plastic anchor screws to hold them on as a sheet metal sort of screw does not hold into just the plastic bumper facing.

Photos of the car with the plate: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/144526-very-individual-m6-40.html#post1731144
Photo of the anchors (from Home Depot): http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...144526-very-individual-m6-51.html#post1767115

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have a Skene set of brackets on my M6 as I did not want to drill any holes into the face of the bumper. The Skene setup is 2 brackets (you space them out as you need) which mount via a single screw each on the underside of the bumper. The come in Euro (short) and U.S. height models. Also, they come in a variety of offset lengths (to accomodate how how deep you bumper is). Since it is 2 brackets, you can hand curve your plate and mount it up as you like. I had to curve my Euro size plate because when it was flat, one side interfered with the front park distance sensor.

Skene Design

I used plastic anchor screws to hold them on as a sheet metal sort of screw does not hold into just the plastic bumper facing.

Photos of the car with the plate: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/144526-very-individual-m6-40.html#post1731144
Photo of the anchors (from Home Depot): http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...144526-very-individual-m6-51.html#post1767115

Im going to get that skene license plate bracket you mentioned. I mine is U.S. so its regular license plate size but where it says bracket size there are extra short, short, medium,long,extra long. Do u happen to know what fits the M6? Thanks

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Im going to get that skene license plate bracket you mentioned. I mine is U.S. so its regular license plate size but where it says bracket size there are extra short, short, medium,long,extra long. Do u happen to know what fits the M6? Thanks
I had to go measure mine since I could not recall for certain. It is 2 inches - so its a medium depth Skene.

I ended up using anchor/screws after finding that plastic rivets are not strong enough. I got these at Home Depot

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...144526-very-individual-m6-51.html#post1767115

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
excellent thanks. Gonna order this just in case. I can take a warning ticket or 2 but if becomes a monthly thing im just gonna leave the plate on.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well around where I live in Houston they seem to be looking for it

I have had no problem, until:

I got a speeding ticket (LASER) and he threw in the 'No License Plate' citation.

By mail, the NLP only cost $20 and a picture of the plate installed.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Y not just stick it on if you want avoid drilling holes ?
Where I live you have to have your license plate bolted/screwed on. Tape won't get past the annual safety inspection (the service station where I get it done is very straight arrow on this). They would not even pass my car with its faux european plate up front (which had a matching name/number with the totally legal rear plate). So I had to "mount" my legal front plate to pass inspection. It was supposed to be "bolted" on but the bracket I have made for it (to hang over the euro plate) has bolts on it so its looks legit (even though it is not). The inspector said I have to drive off his premises before I took it off again (he knew the score).

Long story short, if I only had a taped on plate, I would have not gotten my safety sticker (and the police will stop if you don't have a valid one).

Cheers

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I would think tape with time would fade the paint or even eat away at it. And you would need some very strong tape to hold it on and wouldnt tape that strong not come off anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts