BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have followed suit and bought clear indicators all round...

The sides and rear were obviously easy to fit, but a quick look at the front has filled me with some doubts...

Can anyone explain step by step how to do this??
I have looked for a post with this detail but so far have come up empty.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Steve

It is not as hard as it looks - just a bit fiddly.

There are 2 screws holding each indicator in. One parallel to the front of the car and one parallel to the side. Don't try to see them, because you wont be able to. But you should be able to feel them after you take of the shroud. They are both Phillips head.

With a bit of fiddling around with an array of different length screwdrivers, you should be able to remove them.

Putting them back in is harder, but again, a bit of fiddling around and it is possible.

If necessary, you might need to remove or loosen some of the extraneous bits around to give you more room, but even so, I find it takes me about 10 minutes a side.

Good luck!

Cheers

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:
Cheers David,

I may just attempt it tonight!!!

Steve
Hi Steve
Good to see you having a go.
Its true you cant see the screws that release the turn lamps.
I use three diffrent length screwdrivers to remove them.
What makes the job more of a pain is that these areas are exposed to the worst the northern hemisphere can throw at them.
That is all the salt spray & crud that builds yr on yr that fouls all the screws & threads.
Im pretty ok with the tools but it has never taken me just 10 mins to remove these blighters, more like an hour if not touched for a couple of yrs.

Probably not the same in Tasmania ... :haha: Thats down to our weather.

Regards
Darren

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
You may well be right. Tasmania is the coldest part of Australia, but all 3 of the E34's I have owned came from warm parts of Australia - 2 from Queensland and one from Western Australia - so they have lived their lives in sun and the goodlife!

Hopefully, it still wont be as bad as it could for you.

Best of luck with it.

Cheers

farrell said:
Hi Steve
What makes the job more of a pain is that these areas are exposed to the worst the northern hemisphere can throw at them.
That is all the salt spray & crud that builds yr on yr that fouls all the screws & threads.
Im pretty ok with the tools but it has never taken me just 10 mins to remove these blighters, more like an hour if not touched for a couple of yrs.

Regards
Darren

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
farrell said:
Hi Steve

Regards
Darren
I thought I would give it a go and see.

However, if the next time you see me I am minus front indicators, then you'll know it didn't work out!!!

Steve

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3 and a half hours and they are fitted!!!

Missed dinner, seeing my daughter before she went to bed and spending any time with my wife tonight.
To say I'm in the dog house is a massive understatement.

I also dropped a socket head down behind the lights that i cannot reach, so that rattling is bound to p*ss me off, unless it drops out somewhere..

I wouldn't normally mind, but the socket was a neighbours!

Who ever designed the fitting of those indicators, was a very bad person!!!

Tired and stressed,

Steve

·
Registered
96 Posts
farrell said:
....What makes the job more of a pain is that these areas are exposed to the worst the northern hemisphere can throw at them.
Im pretty ok with the tools but it has never taken me just 10 mins to remove these blighters, more like an hour if not touched for a couple of yrs....
Regards
Darren

Hi Guys
Just fitted new (clear) indicators last week as we prepped the car for a big holliday run. We might have taken the complicated way to change them but then again we had to change a cracked headlight lense as well. All in all we ended up taking out the airbox (to make room for our hands) and removed the front grill to get the headlights out!!!

But at least I managed to clean the whole lot so it looks bright and shiny.
Oh yeah...the reason for the quote. My car resides in Holland, bad weather and salty conditions so we've kind of developped the habit to spray almost everything with plenty of WD40 before digging in.
Let it do its wonders for 15-30 minutes and even the most reluctant screw,bolt or nut will come loose lovelove

with kind regards
Tamar

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:
3 and a half hours and they are fitted!!!

Missed dinner, seeing my daughter before she went to bed and spending any time with my wife tonight.
To say I'm in the dog house is a massive understatement.

I also dropped a socket head down behind the lights that i cannot reach, so that rattling is bound to p*ss me off, unless it drops out somewhere..

I wouldn't normally mind, but the socket was a neighbours!

Who ever designed the fitting of those indicators, was a very bad person!!!

Tired and stressed,

Steve
Well done Steve.
Midnightsun hit the nail on the head.
So now you know what the score is.
At least you can appreiciate your own handiwork & fore armed is fore warned.
My threads are smeared in vaseline after last time so there you go.

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
farrell said:
Well done Steve.
Midnightsun hit the nail on the head.
So now you know what the score is.
At least you can appreiciate your own handiwork & fore armed is fore warned.
My threads are smeared in vaseline after last time so there you go.

Regards
Farrell
The screws being hard to undo was not the problem.

It was having the right tool in the first place to get to the screws!!!

Still, like you say at least I know the score. NEVER EVER attempt it again!!!

Steve

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Having only visited Europe once (it was in Winter, but I spent most of the time either skiing in Switzerland - where I expected it to be cold and snowy - or in Italy - where the average temps were around 10 degrees celsius), I had not really understood how unfriendly to cars the weather is there.

When looking at cheap overseas cars to import, I have always been advised to look to Japan, not Europe, because the weather conditions (and the salt used to address them) mean the cars generally are in better condition. I guess the advice was good. Things sound pretty dismal there!

That said, for the 1st time in about 20 years, we are getting forecasts of snow down to sea level in Hobart for tonight. It would be a real treat for us. Our average winter daily maximum is probably around 12 degrees and minimum about 4 or 5 degrees.

Cheers

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've changed all my orange indicators to clear few years back on my E39 and the front ones also were a pain in the butt. Although they are of a push and realese type but I ended up with a few cuts and scratches on my hands. That engine compartment is way to tight.

·
Registered
426 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:
The screws being hard to undo was not the problem.

It was having the right tool in the first place to get to the screws!!!

Still, like you say at least I know the score. NEVER EVER attempt it again!!!

Steve
I paid a local mechanic £30 to do mine - glad I did!

Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts