BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing about 2000 miles last week, driving up to the Scottish Highlands and back, I booked the M5 in for an Oil service, new water pump and chain tensioner upgrade at my local indy. I arranged a meeting point with my mechanic where we swapped cars....... About 10 minutes later I got a sheepish call from him to say that he had hit a deer with my M5! I had spent the week dodging herds of deer in Scotland and he hits one after a few minutes in Devon!

I am told there is not too much damage. Just bumper, spoiler, head light, front panel, radiator, a/c condenser and dent in bonnet. Sounds expensive to me. He is taking it to a BMW approved body shop where it will be mended.... I am worried that even though the damage is not too great, these cars are not worth much from book, even when they are in fantastic condition like mine. ( car is '94 5 speed 3.8 with 67,000miles) I hope nobody argues that it should be written off.

Should I expect him to repair it even if it is written off?

Ben

·
Registered
832 Posts
So sorry to hear this Ben....I really feel for you knowing how much these cars mean to us.

Hope it all works out well and that you're reunited soon.

Cheers

Erik

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Ben .......sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident .

As your mechanic is a working professional , he should have both Motor Trade Insurance and combined liabilities insurance ( public and employee ) .

His Motor Trade Policy should cover the damage to your car , although their assessor may well conclude that your M5 is an uneconomical repair and therefore write it off .

This would not prevent you from buying it back for an agreed value and having it repaired from the proceeds of the write off value but your car would then be recorded as damage repaired i.e. Cat C or Cat D .

Your mechanic always has the option of not claiming through his insurance and putting the damage right himself .

He sounds respectfully apologetic and seems to be taking steps to rectify the situation , so it may be worth sitting back and waiting to hear his suggestion re a resolution .

Best of luck .

D

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Don't forget that insurance cover 'should' put you back in the same financial position as before the claim. i.e. if they offer £2k as it's an old car and that's the 'market' value, then tell them to F.R.O.

You'll have to prove how valuable you car is by providing supporting evidence of low mileage, full SH, enthusiast-owned cars of similar standard.

There can't be that many with the same specs/details as yours, so you need to be persistent, if it comes to this.

Sounds like you could get all the work done for less than a £2k, especially if you've got a friendly mechanic to do the labour cheaply! Can't see it being written for that amount though, as it must be worth £10k.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I hate other people driving my cars if I am not with them.

I'd be seriously p...ed off were I you.
Sorry to hear, hope the repairs get done properly - I'd monitor them every step of the way.

·
Registered
341 Posts
We have lots of these critters around are roads - the Muntjack variety like a cross between a lab. sized dog and a pig.

They are dense in their mass and inflict terrible damage to themselves and cars I've had meetings with 4 of them over the years....

You need to stay insistent on having your car repaired properly and would go for a bmw approved repair so that no corners are cut.

As long as thorough repair is carried out there is no reason that it cannot be put back to its former glory and in the process the front will be repainted and will probably look better than before.

It is amazing what a difference a fresh coat of paint can make to the front as how ever much we clean and polish the paint (in this section) it is always being attacked by fine dust and grit thrown up by vehicles in front and as a result the sheen is always dulled.

Still it is a horrible experience!

With the bonnet damage it maybe worth checking whether a new bonnet might be better than having it knocked out and filled and would also avoid another layer of paint being added to the existing which tends to show through badly in time as the paint chips of the future will be deeper and more difficult to touch in...

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Just one question Richard .......

Did you eat any of the deer that you mangled ?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hi!
Just be sure to take a lot of pics of the car pre and postrepair, so that anyone that asks what the reason for repairs was, you can show them and verify that it was deer and not a semitrailer......

Just my 2c
:cheers:
Sakke

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the excellent tips.

I will try any get to the bodyshop and take some photos for the record. The bodyshop seem to be very good and sensible. However, they think the work will cost about £4k! The boss of the bodyshop said that he is on good terms with the insurance assessor and will try to twist his arm not to write the car off. Whatever happens I will get it fixed even if I end up having to fork out some cash.

Ben

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Thanks everyone for the excellent tips.

I will try any get to the bodyshop and take some photos for the record. The bodyshop seem to be very good and sensible. However, they think the work will cost about £4k! The boss of the bodyshop said that he is on good terms with the insurance assessor and will try to twist his arm not to write the car off. Whatever happens I will get it fixed even if I end up having to fork out some cash.

Ben
£4k:eek:
For "minor panel damage" of course with new parts it will be ridiculous(as the bumper is expensive) but if some parts are sourced second hand(bumper, maybe bonnet) the cost should come closer to 2500£

Hope it sorts out. :cheers:
Sakke

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi there

£4k sounds like its going to have new parts sourced, £300 wing £560 bonnet and £900 bumper, £250 light cluster

If you phone a breakers yard like Quarry up you should be able to get a wing for £35 a skinny bonnet for £60 or so and a bumper for £150-£250, this should bring the cost down by a lot.

Ive just had my car resprayed to a very high standard, with a second hand door, pair of wings, bonnet, grille and tailgate, spoiler at a total cost of £3000, the car had to be jigged to pull the A post out where it had been hit, the other parties insurance company got £1600 for the damage caused to mine, for a new door, wing and a post pulling out.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102496&page=2

Good luck with getting your car sorted

All the best Andy

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Don't forget that insurance cover 'should' put you back in the same financial position as before the claim. i.e. if they offer £2k as it's an old car and that's the 'market' value, then tell them to F.R.O.

You'll have to prove how valuable you car is by providing supporting evidence of low mileage, full SH, enthusiast-owned cars of similar standard.

There can't be that many with the same specs/details as yours, so you need to be persistent, if it comes to this.

Sounds like you could get all the work done for less than a £2k, especially if you've got a friendly mechanic to do the labour cheaply! Can't see it being written for that amount though, as it must be worth £10k.

+1

4k is a lot, FAB Quarry etc should have some bits, The bonnet is the same as any e34( excluding the insulation) ant the front lights,wing etc. Admittedley the bumper is M only but the saving would be tremendous.

Then you could be of the mind that you only want New original parts(which i would be if somebody else was paying) then that could be the way to go.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am sure that I could get the work done for much less than £4k if push came to shove, but I would like it to be repaired properly using new BMW parts, with no corners cut.

Phlem5 - That deer in your photo looks much better in it's natural habitat, compared to the one that was stuck on my bumper! Scotland is a wonderful place to drive an M5 with some great roads and scenery.

Regards,

Ben

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I am sure that I could get the work done for much less than £4k if push came to shove, but I would like it to be repaired properly using new BMW parts, with no corners cut.

Phlem5 - That deer in your photo looks much better in it's natural habitat, compared to the one that was stuck on my bumper! Scotland is a wonderful place to drive an M5 with some great roads and scenery.

Regards,

Ben

Well in any case i would source a second hand spoiler/bumper as it is plastic and does not deteriorate as the steel bits do. Used bumper does not make the repair poorer, just cheaper. When it is all painted up, noboby could tell.

This of course partiicularly if cost becomes an issue. If the insurance company happily puts out for new parts, then yippee
:cheers:
sakke

1 - 20 of 23 Posts