BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some searching and while there are many threads I can't find anything specifically about how to remove the cup holder. Google gave me just enough info to make me think it's not as straight forward as removing the 2 screws that can be seen when opening the cup holder. So.. is there some trick to this? The reason I want to do this is so that I may drill a small hole in the plastic face to the left of the cup holders in order install an AUX input 3.5mm jack.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It's as easy as removing the 2 screws. I removed the POS holders:

And replaced them with this:

I have since spray painted it black to blend better.

I did this when installing my water methanol system to help clean up this area.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ECB. I read some posts on other boards stating that there was some kind of internal tongue that needed to be depressed with a bent coat hanger, etc etc. Had me a little worried!

·
Registered
80 Posts
... the new cover color's....in the pic, it's not matching up to the black console surrounding. Is that just b/c of the camera at an angle ?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
... the new cover color's....in the pic, it's not matching up to the black console surrounding. Is that just b/c of the camera at an angle ?
It is also too shiny but he mentioned that he re-painted it to match better at a later point

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
There is a tongue. After removing the two screws you have to depress it to slide out the cup holders. I settled for ripping my cup holders out forcefully because after 30 minutes I could not get them out.

I now have the same cover as ECB. They have it in gray like in his picture and in black which I have wrapped up somewhere and haven't checked to see if it matches. Other option is CF wrap.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so any tips for getting the thing out without breaking it? I'd like to put it back in afterwards! :)

·
Registered
879 Posts
You can try using a credit card or other similarly sized, firm piece of plastic to release the tounge, but I've found that in a lot of cases once the holder has broken the internal parts go everywhere and the easiest solution involves brute force. In every E39 where I've replaced cupholders the old one tends to come out in 4 - 6 pieces.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see. My cupholders aren't broken.I just need to drill a small hole in the left side of mine to mount a 3.5mm jack.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
That is exactly where I'm going to mount it however I have an 03 so I'm building a proper cable to connect behind the monitor. Hopefully my trim piece wont stick out like the one in the photo you pointed to.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I don't think you need anything except a screwdriver to get this thing out. I didn't. Pulled it straight out (easily) after the 2 screws were removed. The center air vent...well now...that's a different story!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm trying to diagnose a driver seat heater issue. Spent today removing the seat and removing the leather covering. I should have checked the switch first. Anyone know how to remove the seat heater switch? Currently I am wrestling with the cup holder. I'll use my credit card as suggested.

Thanks. James

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used a credit card it popped right out. As for the center control console, if you reach under with your palm facing up, you can pry it out with your BMW special tool. Just kidding - use your fingers.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Good info, mine's comming out next week. Replacing it with a delete plate as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts