BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I'm looking for some front control arms for the old girl.

BMW want £182 each. Is there anywhere I can get them cheaper?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay...so there are a few different brands. I'm guessing the one above is not as good as Lemforder? Which of these do you think I should go for?

£74

£66 but down from £235 which is more expensive that BMW. This part also looks beefier.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
282 Posts
The Meyle HD units seem to get good reviews, if trying to save some money from the cost of the Lemfoerders.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Complete crap nowadays.
I installed a set of the HD thrust arms a few weeks ago - no complaints yet. I got them from FCP so pretty much a lifetime guarantee on them. If they fail, they'll be replaced with Lemfoerders.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I installed a set of the HD thrust arms a few weeks ago - no complaints yet. I got them from FCP so pretty much a lifetime guarantee on them. If they fail, they'll be replaced with Lemfoerders.
Well might work there, but here very soon rubber parts fail. Maybe because of winter.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well might work there, but here very soon rubber parts fail. Maybe because of winter.
Could be. I used nothing but Lemfoerder parts on my prior M5, but the budget was a bit tighter this time around. We'll see how it turns out as time goes on.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok. I've got the Lemforder aluminium parts on order. Thanks to uk_bm, now that I've saved about £200+ quid, i have a few quid in the budget to refresh some other components.

Before that, can someone please advise on where I should place the jackstands? I'm planning on taking the whole front subframe and refresh all the hardware. Is this possible on jackstands?

I have the group buy bushings ready to go in as well...what else should I replace whilst I'm there?

I'm thinking to order:

New: 2x 13, 2x 14, 2x [8,9,10,11,12], 2x [4,5,5,6], 4x 15
Powdercoat: 1,2

Do I need 16&17?

If I'm going this far, should I go a step further and remove the whole front axle support and refresh this also or is that too much?

I'm going to get a shop to push out the old bushes and pull the new ones in. Any other tools required?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Yes, I've done it. Stands can go under the frame rails.

Personally, I'm a great believer in only replacing what needs to be done. The upper and lower arms are good candidates, anything else check for play etc.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts