BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2007 BMW M6 Neiman Marcus Convertible with 30k miles and still under the original factory warranty. At 60+ MPH the front end vibrates. I took it to the dealer and they said the front control arm bushings were cracked and needed replacement and were not covered under the warranty. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm surprised that #1 the bushings need replacement after 30k miles and #2 it's not covered by warranty. I called BMW USA and they said to take it to another dealer to see if they would cover it under warranty.

Any help or suggestions? I really don't think I should have to pay for this. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've got a similar issue I think, and it should be covered under warranty

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I called BMW USA and they said to take it to another dealer to see if they would cover it under warranty.
That seems absurd! The factory warranty is determined by BMW, not the stealership. +1 is should definitely be covered.

Reactions: Clyde

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The BMW USA said the bushings are "not" covered under warranty...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The BMW USA said the bushings are "not" covered under warranty...
Maybe so, but in the corporate world of warranties, "not" often means "not unless the customer will not take no for an answer." Be persistent, and they will eventually step up to the plate and do the right thing.

Reactions: MKSixer

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone had luck getting BMW USA to cover things like this under warranty? If so, an approach would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Any help or suggestions? I really don't think I should have to pay for this.
I agree that this part should be covered.
If you need to pay, don't have the dealer do the work. That would be like playing the dealer to steal from you :nono:
When replacing the bushing, it can be easier to replace the control arm. The bushing is difficult (time consuming) to press out and a control arm will have both a new bushing and ball joint.

The likely failed bushing is from the tension strut. Dinan makes a Monoball replacement. It makes a big improvement in steering under high loads (high speed or tight turns). The monoballs have been reclassified as a racing part, so no warranty :Thumbdown:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I think that problem should be covered under warranty.
I have a similar problem. To replace arm control and bushing will cost around 1,000.:sad3:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called BMW USA again and told them they should cover the repair/replacement of the bushings. They said it is a maintenance item they don't cover. I told them I will take legal action if they don't make this situation right. They offered nothing. I said I have a 2010 535, a 2007 X5 4.8i and a 2006 M6 Convertible and won't be buying another BMW based on this experience. BMW USA could care less. I will be filing in small claims court this week. It would be cheaper for them to repair the car, but obviously they'd rather pay more for legal than to set a precedent and cover the repair.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$1200 to replace the bushings hardly seems "not expensive" plus it requires a $200 alignment.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm looking for a source for performance bushings, the OEM bushings only lasted 29k miles. Any sources? My mechanic hasn't been able to find any.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm looking for a source for performance bushings, the OEM bushings only lasted 29k miles. Any sources? My mechanic hasn't been able to find any.
Hmm, if you look at OEM part numbers, those bushings might be common with E60s. I'm not particularly a fan of ecs tuning after a less than stellar customer service experience, but they have had a good stock of urethane bushings.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Try to goole polyurethane bushings. You shall find many manufacturers of PU bushings biut none of them manufacture any for the E60 or E63.

Try to ocntact them and perhaps someone will be willing to do a custom order for you at a reasonable price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts