BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend's car pulls to the left. It has done this from day one according to him. I drove the car and his steering felt very tight, more so at low speeds. almost like his pump is not at full cycle. When he took it to get aligned they said his camber is off a little on the front left. Is this a big deal. Should he just get a camber kit to correct this? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought that was the case too, but from what I understand the camber in the front of m5's can not be adjusted. He said that the previous owner claimed to have hit a curb. Is his frame or perhaps a control arm bent causing the camber to be off.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Any good alignment shop has access to a map of reference measuring points underneath any car. That's how one determines what is, or isn't, bent. But my first concern would be with the stiff steering, because that could indicate that the rack could be slightly bent.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the steering being stiff is either related to the fluid or the pump. As far as the shop and alignment chart this place is supposed to be good and said that all I would need is a camber kit but I am skeptical.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I think the steering being stiff is either related to the fluid or the pump. As far as the shop and alignment chart this place is supposed to be good and said that all I would need is a camber kit but I am skeptical.
The E39 M5, as built at the factory, does not NEED a "camber kit" to meet spec.... my goal would be to restore the car to pre-damage conditoon.. AND THEN if I need a camber kit I'd buy a camber kit!

Your friend needs to go to a shop that can diagnose his suspension damage. Not just an "alignment shop"

A

1 - 5 of 5 Posts