BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My front bumper has way to many rock chips for me to live with and I noticed the bottom of the bumper is cracked.

If someone could suggest a good fitting aftermarket solution, that would be great. I saw a few "m5 stlye/look" on ebay and was going to give one a try, but worried about the fitment.

Also is there any bumper company out there who makes a different design for the e39? Like say this one? Would be cool to try.

BMW 5 Series M5 E39 4DR 97 03 Duraflex GT s Front Bumper | eBay

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
The vast majority of experiences on this board with aftermarket bumpers have been hit or miss. Some are even initial misses but they end up hitting with minimal work. However, no one will argue against the recommendation of going OEM.

Try getting in touch with board member Clemster. He's the M5 partout king and he may have an OEM bumper available for you.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I changed mine for the same reason of yours. The aftermarket one didn't have holes for washer nozzles headlamps. I guess you need to drill that. Second thing which is more important is the side edges don't match the wheels arches on finder. Maybe I have to wiggle with it one more time but not sure. Other then that looks just like original for a lot less. But if I have to re do it all over again I will take my original bumper to body shop to fix the cracks and refinish and repaint. Will fit back perfect and still oem and cheaper

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
A used OEM bumper costs about the same as a replica bumper, both need to be prepped and painted, so I am personally not sure why anyone gets replica bumpers anymore. Going with replicas made sense when parts were hard to come by and OEM bits were still $800 or so used but now they can be found $250-350 pretty readily.

Used OEM > New replica IMHO

·
Registered
561 Posts
A used OEM bumper costs about the same as a replica bumper, both need to be prepped and painted, so I am personally not sure why anyone gets replica bumpers anymore. Going with replicas made sense when parts were hard to come by and OEM bits were still $800 or so used but now they can be found $250-350 pretty readily.

Used OEM > New replica IMHO

I don't know where you live. But over here almost impassable to find used oem bumper in good shape. That's why I think the best rout is to fix the original one unless it's smashed. Aftermarket good for none M e39 only because it's still look better then stoke none m e39 bumper

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I would go with OEM, ya its a bit more expensive but you wont regret buying it.

·
Registered
899 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will end up going oem.

The only reason I was pondering was because I just replaced and had an ebay rear bumper painted. Cost 300 for the bumper and 500 for paint/install. Overall It fit well except came a tad too big. Not the best picture but here is the ebay rear on my e39.

Now as far as fixing the front bumper, Id rather just get a new one due to the crack on the lower right (front facing) bondo job that the p/o did.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
After market $300 bumper don't align with fender arch View attachment 414730

I'm pretty sure it was designed this way. Since you can't see the nose of the car while driving, it allows one's wife/girlfriend/significant other/friend with benefits/whatever to gentle run into the garage wall one time. When this happens, two things occur:

1. Wife/girlfriend/significant other/friend with benefits/whatever is trained
2. Bumper is knocked backward into the exact correct position

Those German, they think of MOST things, but man, those aftermarket suppliers think of EVERYTHING! :hihi:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts