BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am trying to remove my front brake hose(from pipe to caliper) but the small 11mm bolt securing the line in place(the lower bolt in the pic below) is rusted beyond all recognition! What do you recommend to do to replace the hose if the bolt cant be removed?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
People use a vice grip pliers to loosen and tighten them once they are rounded; the other item is to replace the line, it has standard sized fittings and you just need to bend to fit.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
People use a vice grip pliers to loosen and tighten them once they are rounded; the other item is to replace the line, it has standard sized fittings and you just need to bend to fit.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST
Thanks, have tried soaking it with wd40 and getting the vice grips in there but to no avail as of yet. This thing is literally moulded together, the nut is unrecognisable!

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
does not look rusty to me. did you use a flare wrench? make sure you're turning the right direction.

·
Registered
381 Posts
does not look rusty to me. did you use a flare wrench? make sure you're turning the right direction.
I don't think that's his picture. That one looks like it just rolled off the production line!

On the pipe, I'd replace it. Even if you manage to Mole Grip it undone, you'll end up with the old hose in your hand and your DOT4 dripping on to the deck with only the rusty bodge as the way forward. The pipes are steel so you won't be flaring the pipe with a new fitting like you would a copper pipe. As above you could spin the rusty fitting in to the new hose and Mole Grip it tight but that's not really for me.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Hi all,
I am trying to remove my front brake hose(from pipe to caliper) but the small 11mm bolt securing the line in place(the lower bolt in the pic below) is rusted beyond all recognition! ]
Im going to assume that he was using the picture as reference... 'this is what the nut looked like before it disappeared into a rusted mess'

:eek:h:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts