BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been covered somewhere else - I searched and could not find anything.

I'm doing a front brake job on my M5 and am replacing the hardware. Per realOEM, the original part # for the shorter (43mm) pad carrier bolt (34116772117) has been superseded by part 34106864424. I'm hoping someone here can confirm that is correct. The original bolt had a hex head and the replacement appears to have a male torx head. Also, the description of the new bolt at ECS Tuning says, "bolts the caliper to the carrier," which makes no sense at all.

Thanks!

Cory

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think 34116772429 is the one you want. When I search for the 424 p/n on ECS it takes me to the 429 p/n. Not sure why RealOEM lists both as current parts.

Edit: I see what you are saying now. It shows two different lengths. I don't remember my car having different length carrier bolts. Sorry, I guess I'm not much help then.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think 34116772429 is the one you want. When I search for the 424 p/n on ECS it takes me to the 429 p/n. Not sure why RealOEM lists both as current parts.

Edit: I see what you are saying now. It shows two different lengths. I don't remember my car having different length carrier bolts. Sorry, I guess I'm not much help then.
No problem - thanks for the response! Yes - the front pad carrier bolts are two different lengths (43 mm and 63 mm).

Cory

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
Measure the one you have. If yours original is 63 there is only one. If yours is 43 then you replace it with the new 43. You don't replace a 63 with a 43 however.
If you don't have the bolt measure the carrier thickness and the mount flange and use the bolt that is the same length. You would not be leaving female threads exposed although a few MM of male threads might stick through but not by much.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Measure the one you have. If yours original is 63 there is only one. If yours is 43 then you replace it with the new 43. You don't replace a 63 with a 43 however.
If you don't have the bolt measure the carrier thickness and the mount flange and use the bolt that is the same length. You would not be leaving female threads exposed although a few MM of male threads might stick through but not by much.
Thank you Sailor24! I'm a little confused. Each carrier has one 63 mm bolt and one 43 mm bolt. I do still have the bolts. Are you saying to figure out the actual length needed and purchase aftermarket bolts?

Cory

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
Each carrier has one 63 mm bolt and one 43 mm bolt.
There appear to be 3 parts numbers the 63 remains as it was, so use the only choice for it where you need a 63. The 43 has been changed, personally I would use the bolt I had because I want one socket for the job not 2, but if you want to use a new bolt use the new number. all I was trying to say is don't replace a 63 with a 43.
The note says both sides not top and bottom. Maybe I don't understand what you are thinking but it seems pretty clear to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There appear to be 3 parts numbers the 63 remains as it was, so use the only choice for it where you need a 63. The 43 has been changed, personally I would use the bolt I had because I want one socket for the job not 2, but if you want to use a new bolt use the new number. all I was trying to say is don't replace a 63 with a 43.
The note says both sides not top and bottom. Maybe I don't understand what you are thinking but it seems pretty clear to me.
Thank you. Yes - I understand RealOEM. I've encountered instances where it is not 100% accurate, which prompted my original question to see if someone has real-world confirmation of using the replacement part #.

Cory

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
I understand RealOEM. I've encountered instances where it is not 100% accurate,
I guess I did not understand that., but all the info is there diameter pitch and length so I thought you might be asking something else. I have seen many a mistake in WDS but I don't think I have ever encountered one long term error in the parts catalog, so I must be lucky.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I did not understand that., but all the info is there diameter pitch and length so I thought you might be asking something else. I have seen many a mistake in WDS but I don't think I have ever encountered one long term error in the parts catalog, so I must be lucky.
Thanks again Sailor24. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and help me. I ordered the new part # bolts and will report back once they are installed.

I am probably being paranoid about RealOEM not being accurate. It's only happened to me a few times, most recently last winter when I was replacing the front subframe mounting bolts on my E30 Touring.

Cory

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
I ordered the new part # bolts
Is there anything wrong with your old bolts? I would not switch to the new design unless I had too. The socket thing would drive me crazy even though my tool box is big and only a step or two away. These new captured washer designs are for use with alloys mainly, not to suggest they will not work on non alloyed parts, it is just not required. Bolts for the caliper can be reused until damaged. The extra washer adds a slip point so the slip hopefully happens between the washer and bolt. If an alloy is being bolted up the old design will slip between the part and bolt and with softer alloys the alloy tears. Worse is that capture design may not even be required on any of the new cars, it could easily have been added because supplier A offered it as "an also" at a good price so it was used. Or worse in my book it might be being used because of straight, easier on the production line.
Anyway your car your choice, since it is you that has to be confident, somethimes I just like telling people to get off my lawn. And BMW can't go on my lawn.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To close the loop on this - the new part number (34106864424) works fine. It's the same as the old bolt except with a different head. I agree with Sailor24 that two different bolt heads would drive me crazy - if I were taking the pad carrier off all the time, but I don't plan to do that.

If I had it to do over again, I probably would have reused the old bolts. I ordered the new ones because I assumed they were single-use and came with locking goo on the threads. Turns out they are just plain metal, so I could have just reused the old ones with thread locker.

Cory

Reactions: Sailor24

·
Registered
965 Posts
Man why would they go to an internal hex head for this particular bolt that likes to be difficult to remove often? I think I'd be far more comfortable with a strong external hex head compared to an internal allen-key hex head type, even with a ratchet hex bits, I can see that thing wanting to strip with the amount of torque necessary to release those bolts most of the times I've touched them. Not to mention it's on the back of the caliper, facing the inside of the car, making it oh so awesome to see what you're doing, ha.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
why would they go to an internal hex head for this particular bolt
Not sure where you gathered that from? From the pics and description it appears to be an external torx. This is the common fastener on newer cars. New cars would have them top and bottom. We just got subbed to a new part when the old stock was done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure where you gathered that from? From the pics and description it appears to be an external torx. This is the common fastener on newer cars. New cars would have them top and bottom. We just got subbed to a new part when the old stock was done.
Correct - New style bolt has an external (male) torx head. Requires female torx socket or torx box end to remove.

Cory

·
Registered
965 Posts
AHhh external TORX, ok, my bad, I misread that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts