BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from an E55 member who owns both an E55 and an M5:

"My conclusion that the M5 is much faster than the E55...

The M5 is just very very fast car."

·
Registered
955 Posts
Wolverine said:
This is from an E55 member who owns both an E55 and an M5:

"My conclusion that the M5 is much faster than the E55...

The M5 is just very very fast car."
case rest. we can finally move on now.

now we just need to get the same confirmation from CLS55 owners. :hihi:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
More power, less weight, and a much more efficient transmission add up to "much faster." Those who argued for the preeminance of low-end torque forgot basic physics.

Tom

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
In BMW own press reelase of the M5 they describe how more gears and higher revolutiosn could be better than alot of torque in a desriptive way:

"Engine speed has a major influence on performance and torque: As far as maximum torque (520 Newton metres) is concerned, the ten-cylinder matches the eight-cylinder power unit. Nevertheless, the new M5 beats its predecessor in all disciplines relating to driving dynamics. This phenomenon is also connected to the engine speed. A case in point: if a cyclist changes down when going uphill, he must pedal faster but he will master almost every gradient no matter how steep. If he does not change gears or if he even changes up, he needs a lot more energy or he has to get off the bike.

If there are two cyclists with the same amount of stamina, it is always the cyclist who pedals faster that wins the race.

The logical consequence is that the new M5 with its high-revving engine also effortlessly outdoes all direct competitors who exclusively rely on the “torque concept” of an eight-cylinder engine with an increased cubic capacity. In addition, this engine’s superiority can be put down to the fact that the concept-related extremely high torque of competing engines has to be transferred via a massively reinforced and heavy drive train – added weight and mass that must also be accelerated. Thanks to the V10’s high-revving concept, a considerably lighter drive train can be used and closer gear ratios can be achieved.."

http://www.m5board.com/articles.php?id=34&page=3

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
The problem with the torque numbers is a marketing one and IMHO very much like how people often buy PCs based on microprocessor speed only. The whole system must be accounted for.

·
Registered
73 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
The problem with the torque numbers is a marketing one and IMHO very much like how people often buy PCs based on microprocessor speed only. The whole system must be accounted for.
very true.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
IMO I think for people are fooled by marketing are looking at bhp and don't even know what torque is.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I agree with that to a point. I think there are tiers of information buyers look at.

I now see torque numbers advertised along with cars. The AMGs are very fast too. But they way they are built results in a different experience than the way the Ms are built. Neither is better in the abstract- it just becomes better when the wants of the particular driver are measured. I generally prefer the BMW way, but I do enjoy what AMG has brought to the table.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wonder if Mercedes & BMW's offerings in F1 are similar...? A torquey, less powerful unit and a higher revving more powerful one?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Nope, they can't really be different. In Formula 1 it doesn't matter how fast your feel but how fast you are. For this you need power, and power in F1 comes at around 18,000 RPM with the displacement restrictions.

Tom

·
Registered
391 Posts
Gustav said:
What speed did the M5 overtake the E55? Remember, the E55 is over 3 years old (4 model years now). It didn't seem like the M5 blew it away, certainly not down low, and the E55 is due for a makeover. Will be interesting. Enjoy the speed while it lasts. Maybe BMW can win me back but that will take some doing.
;)
Rgds,
Norm

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Noka said:
What speed did the M5 overtake the E55? Remember, the E55 is over 3 years old (4 model years now). It didn't seem like the M5 blew it away, certainly not down low, and the E55 is due for a makeover. Will be interesting. Enjoy the speed while it lasts. Maybe BMW can win me back but that will take some doing.
;)
Rgds,
Norm
This E55 starts first and the M5 has 2 or 3 people in the car during this clip.

We also heard from a owner who own both a E55 and M5 that the M5 is faster than E55.

All carcomparisons so far has better times than E55.

Also it sounds like some people think next E55/E63 is going to fly away from the M5. Not going to happen unless the next E55 has a lot of horsepowers, we also seen that M5 can keep up very well with 65 AMG's.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
We left him faster at higher speeds. You can see the gears. We hit around 250 km/h. :byee55amg

Also: totally different cars. E55 has not the driver involvement the M5 has, the M5 is a very sporty car (alt sportier than the M5 E39) and can at the touch of a button be as soft as an E55 with "autobox" and all.

Noka said:
;)
Rgds,
Norm

·
Registered
246 Posts
Gustav said:
We left him faster at higher speeds. You can see the gears. We hit around 250 km/h. :byee55amg
I have been in five real road races I have had with four separate E55's and a CSL55. With just drivers in the cars, there was nothing the CLS or the other E55's could do to keep up.
my car was set up at full power and suspension 3 setting but only going to 5.5k revs and then shifting via paddles.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Gustav said:
John: nice to hear. And you have not even driven in your car! Sounds promising!
Gustav: It was quite an experience for me and for the MB owners as they are all my friends. They could not believe I was not even at full revs. Then they asked how long to get an M5. When I told them, they were even more astonished than with the performance of the car.
Of course, four of them said that with the next AMG E65 (?) they would kick my butt. To which I replied:
"By then I would be able to use full revs so, it would be pointless.":7: :7: :7:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts