BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed this in many cars that are stickshift that in order to go from 1st-6th gear to reverse you have to make a complete stop first before going into reverse. So, if you're in 3rd gear then you go to neutral, break to about 3 mph or so then try to go in reverse you can't because the clutch will start cranking on you. Is this true for M5 owners as well? I have an 87 F-350 and I don't have to come to a complete stop before going into reverse, but my friends 82 Toyota celica has to completely stop before going into reverse from gears 1-5.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Mine doesnt do that, but then again i only do it from 1st gear only from reverse, and vice versa.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
robluvs2xlr8 said:
Mine doesnt do that, but then again i only do it from 1st gear only from reverse, and vice versa.
so you can be in 1st gear then all of a sudden be going 5 mph and change your mind, go to neutral then hit reverse and the car will let you? it won't make noises or anything?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well I dont go 5 mph, maybe 2-3mph. But the transmission really doesnt do anything, then again im still new to the manual transmission

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
robluvs2xlr8 said:
Well I dont go 5 mph, maybe 2-3mph. But the transmission really doesnt do anything, then again im still new to the manual transmission
As long as it's not a complete stop, you've made my day! Even my friend's 97 Camaro has to come to a complete stop before going into reverse. Thanks Robluvs2xlr8, you've really made my day!
... :2:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Rudy said:
As long as it's not a complete stop, you've made my day! Even my friend's 97 Camaro has to come to a complete stop before going into reverse. Thanks Robluvs2xlr8, you've really made my day!
... :2:
lol, I know mini coopers are like that, they like to be at a near stop before you shift from either 1st to reverse, or visa versa

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
The Getrag 226 box has a synchro on the reverse gear, so it will take even if the car is rolling forward. Most modern BMW's are that way.
If the clutch is in, the clutch has no importance when it comes to engaging gears. When it is in it's job is done, and anything else is the operation of the tranny. By putting the clutch in you release any power the engine is trying to put through the tranny, so you can engage gears.
It is generally good practice to select reverse and first if you are at a dead stop, but Getrag boxes will usually take those gears no problem if you are rolling. If you are rolling at a few mph's, selecting reverse to back into a spot etc will not harm the tranny, or make any unwanted noise.
:cheers:

·
Registered
165 Posts
you can dump into reverse in most cars whilst rolling forwards if you double declutch - try it

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
that noise is the gears crying for help.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
I assume an academic question, since all you are doing is increasing clutch wear by engaging reverse when moving forward and then releasing the clutch. Might not be much wear, but wear nonetheless.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
It does have one practical application: when doing a bootlegger´s turn you want to engage reverse during the inital brake (the forward brake) in order to save valuable time. Then you want to engage first gear during the second brake (the backwards side-slide with front wheels locked).

;-)

David

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
You're right ard, there is a little extra wear when you use the clutch to stop tehcar and reverse direction. The brakes do a lot better job at it.
David David David...teaching these people how to do J-turns...shame on you. :haha: :haha: For the record though, if I do them in my Jetta my tranny grinds like something awful coming out of reverse. Too bad a getrag box wont bolt into my VW...hiha

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Well, you know... sometimes there are "No U-turn" signs where it would be most conveinient to turn, but I have never seen a "No J-turn" sign.

Have you?

Cheers!

David

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
DavidS said:
Well, you know... sometimes there are "No U-turn" signs where it would be most conveinient to turn, but I have never seen a "No J-turn" sign.

Have you?

Cheers!

David
hiha hiha Someone should have put one up in the parking lot of my last job. So much room, and the exit was behind my spot...
With reverse there usually isnt a synchro, and that in and of itself will not let you engage reverse at any normal forward speed. The gears just wont mesh. At low speeds though the gears will try and mesh, hence the awful CRUNCH that is assosiated with taking say a Honda or VW into reverse while still rolling forward. If there is a synchro on reverse that the gears will mesh into place fine, without noise or too much wear. Synchroed reverse gears usually dont whine when backing up like non synchroed trannys do.
I'm not too sure about lockouts in trannys, but a lot of times the "lockout" is a synchro that isnt up to the task. I have had people complain of lockouts to first gear, but then when you double clutch the gear selector slots in just fine, which is indicative of poor synchro action and not any mechanical lockout. I'm not sure if that is the case in every car, but just an observation FWIW.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Uhh, the money shift is when you downshift to lower gear by accident. has nothing to do with shifting to reverse gear.

chivas said:
it's the syncros. i had a 300zx twinturbo a whiles ago and it would lock out gears so unlike the imfamous M3 money shift, the Z will never do that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
dmz said:
Uhh, the money shift is when you downshift to lower gear by accident. has nothing to do with shifting to reverse gear.
yes but either or, the syncros locks it out. downshift to a wrong gear or going in reverse, both would ruin your day.
VW has a pretty cleaver way of preventing going into reverse, you have to press down (or pull up) on the shifter to get it in R.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Yes, but once again my VW doesnt have (or any other VW product I have owned or operated) a synchro into reverse, so if you push the shift lever down and try to get reverse while rolling it will try to take it. Crunching ensues. My Jetta will take 2nd at a much higher speed than the engine would take, but feels locked out into first. Double clutch, and you can get first at 35mph if you want it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.