BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks! What an excellent video. These two M Cars are pretty incredible. :typing: I can't wait until they get the to the states! :M5launch:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I think it is a repost, but that is not my issue..

"RANT ON"

WHY must all of the reviews be 90% drifting? Every single one of them, even the 5th gear one... purposely creating drifts. Looks cool and all... but not the fastest way around the track.. Why not mix it up and bit?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Drifting and drag strip acceleration bragging - since when did " Dukes of Hazard " American - style pick-up truck hillbilly moonshine -running driving become the standard of performance for expensive refined European/Asian sports cars ? :3:

Soon , they will all come from the factory like this :

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
It's a repost :)

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
vndkshn said:
WHY must all of the reviews be 90% drifting? Every single one of them, even the 5th gear one... purposely creating drifts. Looks cool and all... but not the fastest way around the track.. Why not mix it up and bit?
Amen! This test was the worst offender yet. Let's attribute it to misplaced French flamboyance.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
The only defense that I have about drifting is that you get a lot of info about the stability, poise and controllability of the car when drifting. It sure looks great, but as Dan said is sure isnt the fastest way around the track. Hell of a lot of fun to do though. :thumbsup:
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
BmwNut said:
The only defense that I have about drifting is that you get a lot of info about the stability, poise and controllability of the car when drifting. It sure looks great, but as Dan said is sure isnt the fastest way around the track. Hell of a lot of fun to do though. :thumbsup:
It is cool to watch, and does tell you a bit about the car and it's ability to steer with the throttle. Certainly not the whole story though.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I think that the points made in defense are valid.. but when such a huge percentage of the video is just tire smoking drifting.. what has it really told us?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Well the video was in French, and I dont speak French so not a lot of info was gathered by me... :haha:
I agree though Dan and Wolverine, drifting sure is a poor way of showing off a car. It shows the driver has car control, but then again if you are on TV then your ego shouldnt need the stroking...
Great drifts, some ended in the dirt, but in the end a lap time with both cars traction driving would have told more about the car.
I enjoy watching those who can abuse the cars drift (as I cant because any borrowed M5 I drive I will not drift for the sake of the owner), but I agree, it only tells a percentage of the cars handling. In the end though, it is logical to assume that the E63 would beat the E60 around the track no problem. Entertaining though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts