BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

My car is finally built (status 155 last I checked with the dealer middle of last week). It should be on the boat now or real soon, and I think it should arrive at the dealer in Virginia next week or so. I will have it shipped to me in California.

I have a question to those who have enclosed-freight shipped their M5's across state lines. For those looking for the same service, I found 3 places:

1. www.horselesscarriage.com 800-631-7796
2. www.dasautoshippers.com 800.626.2505(NJ) / 800.726.2693(TX)
3. www.passporttransport.com 800-325-4267 (MO)

I was greeted by a pushy salesman at (1), but he says he can pick up the car on 24-hour notice and have it at my door in CA in 10-14 days. I called (3) and they need 2 weeks advanced notice of when the car will come in and the shipping will take about 10 days.

I've been quoted about $1700 from Norfolk, VA to California at both places.

My question is:

a. Do they need 10 days advance notice? Is the salesman at (1) pulling my leg when he says they only need 24-hour advanced notice? He says they have a center in Richmond, VA, which is about an hour away from Norfolk, VA.

b. Is there a way to make delivery quicker? I am sooooooooo wanting to drive my car. I don't mind paying a little (up to $300 maybe) extra to get the car here ASAP.

c. At (2) website, they said they have "same day pickup" for "rigorous schedule of relocation." Has anyone used them? Any positive/negative experiences?

Your information will be greatly appreciated!

Best of motoring,
-kuzibimun

·
Registered
418 Posts
I often have highly collectible, highly valuable (read $100,000 - $5,000,000+) vehicles shipped in the course of my business (Symbolic Motor Car Company).

For domestic shipments, I entrust our vehicles only Intercity Lines (800) 343-0802. Please tell them that you were referred to them by our company. THEY ARE THE BEST!!! (I should know -- I've used them all).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by HadE55NowM5:
For domestic shipments, I entrust our vehicles only Intercity Lines (800) 343-0802. Please tell them that you were referred to them by our company. THEY ARE THE BEST!!! (I should know -- I've used them all).
Thanks a lot for the info!
-kuzibimun

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
sorry to hear that about your work schedule. when you get the car in your hands, you might find your schedlue will need some tweaking......

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by MEnthusiast:
sorry to hear that about your work schedule. when you get the car in your hands, you might find your schedlue will need some tweaking......
Thanks for the concern! I am doing just fine.

My plan is to pull ahead of work schedule, so when the M5 comes here I can take a lighter load and ...um... "telecommute" to the truest sense of the word!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by MEnthusiast:
The reason I can't personally take delivery of the car is because I am an engineer, and the project is near completion. I stick around because I enjoy team spirit.

I enjoy and am passionate about my work, and believe it or not, the enjoyment and passion in work is rewarded, in just one of the many ways, as an ability to afford an M5.

Happy motoring,
-kuzibimun

1 - 8 of 8 Posts