BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I was browsing Craigslist and found a VERY good deal on a set of 4 Blizzak MZ-03 Run Flat snow tires with 80-90% tread left.
They are P245/40R18's. I plan to purchase a set of M-Par replica wheels that are 18x8's. Think these will work ok or too low profile? I think the 245/45R18's were recommended by TireRack...

Thoughts?

Thanks,

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hi, I had Blizzaks on my E34 M5 although they were 17s and not run flats. I wasn't overly impressed as they were a bit noisy and not overly great in snow. That said, they were older (don't know if the tread has changed) and mine were worn a bit. I think technically 17 inchers are spec'd for snows on the E39. Blizzaks seem to be a popular choice though...

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hi, I had Blizzaks on my E34 M5 although they were 17s and not run flats. I wasn't overly impressed as they were a bit noisy and not overly great in snow. That said, they were older (don't know if the tread has changed) and mine were worn a bit. I think technically 17 inchers are spec'd for snows on the E39. Blizzaks seem to be a popular choice though...
I am going to have agree with Carbon on this one. I had a set of Blizzaks and I was not really impressed, they got around ok, but I was surprised how much grip they DIDNT have. I had a set of Hankook Ice Bear's, which I LOVED and I currently have a set of General Tire Articmax, which seem fine, but we have not really had much snow yet, so I can not comment too much. Also, with winter tires, the smaller and skinny you can go the better. I would find a set of 17's that work since you have to buy rims as well as tires.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the opinions. I have had blizzaks before, but not in this tread pattern or as low a profile (or run flats for that matter)

I ended up jumping on the deal. Didn't want to lose out if they were gonna work good, and figured I could easily make money off them if they wouldn't work. They are practically brand new and cost me $200. (talked him down a bit) So I guess now I'm looking for some 18's to put them on!

·
Registered
154 Posts
245/45-18 is recommended for the E60 M5
245/40-18 is fine for the E39 M5 assuming your wheel selection is also good ... so your tire size is good but the rubber selection could have been better from what I've read.

Blizzacks have a multi layer compound. The top compound is a soft cellular one that grips well on ice. Once that is gone, previous owners have indicated that it is no better than a regular all season tire. Some are convinced that it IS a regular all season tire underneath.

This point seems to come before 5000 miles for most drivers. On a (relatively) heavy E39 M5, this will be accelerated if you're not there already.

I am kind of in the same boat as you. Picked up a set of replica 550i wheels with Blizzack LM25's 245/40-18 already mounted. They were used on an 550i. I don't suspect they'll be very good but the price was right.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They were in fact the 245/40R18's as recommended.

I am looking for wheels, as stated above. I found the new replica M-Par wheels on ebay, they are 18x8's with 13 offset. These should work ok?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I use Blizzak LM-25s on my factory wheels every winter and I'm pretty happy with them. 235/40R18 - 265/35R18. I have no problem at all getting around and I've driven through several snowstorms and up and downhill in up to 5 inches of snow. I really don't have anything to compare them to as I haven't used any other snowtire, there may be better ones out there, there may not. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not going to look for alternatives unless these leave me stuck somewhere.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I run both blizzaks & dunlop snows

Blizzaks on 17" on the wifes 530 and dunlops on 18" on the M5. We tend to get only a few storms in the DC area (last year being the exception) and the snow is usually pretty wet/heavy stuff (not powder). I'd have to say the blizzaks actually performed better in the deep stuff we had last winter, but that could simply be the 17" v. 18". The blizzaks are certainly louder under most conditions, but not so bad I'd ditch them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts