BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Why not just put a HP cap or something? I dont like watching a bunch of cars with engines built to practically the same specifications race around a track. I want to say stuff like "the turbo car is going to have an advantage on the straights but the big N/A v8 will pull through in the turns"

I want these cars to test the engineering of the teams, and not put all the teams in almost identical cars and test the racers. I care less about who is fast, I want to know which company has the best engineering and technology to offer me

Regulations and rules like this destroy innovation in the automotive industry IMHO. Racing technology used to trickle down... companies spent their resources on things like their F1 teams and eventually it found its way into mass production. Now racing technology is advancing at a predictable, set pace. They allow KERS when they allow it, they change the engines when THEY want to...

Who cares if one team has a faster car that BLOWS away the competition? Isnt that what competition is about? So that next year the losing teams will try SO hard to develop technology to BEAT the guy who was fastest? Where is the fun when they are all in the same stupid cars? Sure the engines are different, differentiated by the names, who produces them, and maybe a couple mm difference in bore or stroke. But really they are practically the same

sorry, rant over...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree 1.6L turbo engine for formula one is rediculous considering this is the ultimate motorsport.

Anyway this confirms that BMW are going in the right direction, they saw this coming and knew they won't be able to compete with their big heavy V10 NA engines against the smaller more powerful turbo engines.

It's good they moved early to Turbo and master the technology, they already have lots of data from the X5/X6 M which will enable them to further improve the engine in the F10 M5.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
blackxs, I am no expert, but from things I have read there are usually a few years of vastly different performing engines and technology/engineering between teams after the new formula regulations are set. If this is true, I would expect the next few seasons to be quite interesting as we see how each team engineers their 1.6L turbo. They will easily get 750HP+, but all in different ways.

To quote someone else, the responsibility of F1 is to open doors to the future. In this case, as the market has been shifting, the future is turbos. This change will lead to the most efficient and highest performing turbo engines ever. If the rules said 2-stroke diesels, we would have the best darn diesel engines you can ever imagine.

Also should mention that the 1.6L turbo engine is not as simple as you might think. 2013 will be a simple core turbo, but in 2014 the regulations open up to any type of turbo. I would expect to see many teams run turbo compounding. Still no word yet if there will be a limit on boost.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Wow, it's 1979 all over again. Back then it was 1.5L turbo motors. The BMW M12 was said to produce 1300hp at qualifying boost levels out of that little 1.5L of displacement. :)

32 years ago. Damn. Time flies.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Nevermind, this is for next season. Still interesting so I'll leave it.

The Amazing Illustrated Guide To F1's New Technical Regulations
Some really cool stuff in there, definitely a good read, thanks.

However, the fact still holds (IMO) that Formula 1 racing is not as exciting as it could be. They make regulations for every little thing. Every time some company gets innovative and finds a new way to get a couple extra mph top speed or whatever, next season there is a rule banning it. That link was very cool for the technical aspects but it was basically showing you a bunch of cool things teams did to get around the rules, and then explain how the rules change to prevent that from happening. They want everyone in the same car. I dont think thats fun to watch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts