BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have a one-year old daughter, and I've been looking for a sedan that will fit a baby seat better than my 330 convertible did. That car was turned in on lease a few weeks ago, and I've been scouring the used market ever since. I've been borrowing my sister's Miata in the meantime, and my 6'1" frame couldn't WAIT to get the hell out of that little thing. So anyway, last Thursday afternoon I found exactly what I'd been looking for, for the right price, listed on Autotrader.com. The only rub being that the car was in Chicago. They offered to ship it out to me, buy I couldn't stand the thought of two more weeks of Miata torture. I worked out a price with the dealer, and was on a flight by 6:30am Friday morning. 12 hours (mostly through torrential rain) and about 770 miles later it was in my driveway. It was a trial by fire (water actually) for the new car, and it came through beautifully despite the difficult driving environment. Speed and comfort the whole way, although the rain was scary strong at times.

I purchased from Luxury Motors of Oreland Park, by the way, a dealer familiar to some on this board.

The car has about 29,500 miles on it now. It's carbon black, with black interior and wood trim. I've posted a few crappy pictures below. I paid $36,500, which based upon months of research seems an excellent price for such a low-mile example. Patient shopping was key. I offered $37,000 for a car with 48,000 miles on it the week before, and was refused. I may have to send that dealer a thank-you note for turning me down :haha: .

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS:

The car absolutely ROCKS. I'm coming from an engine that had 220HP into one with almost 400HP, so obviously it's a huge difference. The sound and acceleration remind me of my father's C5 Corvette, although the feel is very different. While the vette is light and tight, the M5 feels heavier and much more smooth. The car feels rock solid, and surprisingly compliant over bumps for something that handles as well as it does.

The first couple of times I test drove M5's I was a little disappointed in the acceleration low in the rev range, although it felt very fast at highway speeds. I was also surprised at how quiet the cars were. The M5's felt much more tame than I remember an M3 feeling. Then I noticed the "sport" button on the dash and remembered reading that the car had essentially two modes of driving: tame/luxury and attack. A press of the button and suddenly the thing is snarling and fast off the line... the M5 I was expecting.

My main impression of the car is that it does an amazing job of combining sports car performance with luxury car ride and ammenities, but you all know that already.

MISCELLANEOUS

The interior is beautifully appointed. I was surprised by the amount of leather coverage, and the Alcantara headliner is a nice touch. There's a built-in radar and laser detection system with front and rear receivers (added by the previous owner). Carfax shows it as a one owner car, that was regularly dealer serviced and driven less than 7,000 miles per year.

I do have a few questions for those with experience with these amazing rides:

1) What's the maintenance schedule? Is there anything big coming up at 30K?
2) There wasn't an owners manual in the glove or trunk. Any suggestions on where to get a replacement? How much will BMW whack me for one?
3) The driver's side door seal has a hole in it. I noticed this on several used examples, so it seems to be a common flaw. Any idea how much a replacement will run?
4) I'm driving this thing "naked"... no warranty (a factor in the reasonable price I received). I'd really appreciate advice on either BMW or third party warranties.

As many of you will understand, I'm in automotive love. What an amazing automobile!

·
Registered
298 Posts
E39 in Philly said:
1) What's the maintenance schedule? Is there anything big coming up at 30K?

2) There wasn't an owners manual in the glove or trunk. Any suggestions on where to get a replacement? How much will BMW whack me for one?
Welcome and congratulations.

The maintenance schedule is based upon the SI light on the dash rather than just mileage. In general, though, and Inspection I is due at around 30K miles.

You can download a manual in pdf format from the Owner's Circle website oc.bmwusa.com.

As well as this forum check out:
http://www.bmwtips.com/

and you may want to join the E39 Yahoo Group at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bmwe39/ they have a lot of stuff in the archives including Inspection I and Inspection II checklists.

Regards

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jhowton said:
Welcome and congratulations.

The maintenance schedule is based upon the SI light on the dash rather than just mileage. In general, though, and Inspection I is due at around 30K miles.

You can download a manual in pdf format from the Owner's Circle website oc.bmwusa.com.

As well as this forum check out:
http://www.bmwtips.com/

and you may want to join the E39 Yahoo Group at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bmwe39/ they have a lot of stuff in the archives including Inspection I and Inspection II checklists.

Regards
Great advice, thanks! The dash indicator suggests a inspection is coming up.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Very nice....I'm in Delaware not far from you. In fact, I'll be in Philly tomorrow for the Phillies business persons special. Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
boostmiser said:
Very nice....I'm in Delaware not far from you. In fact, I'll be in Philly tomorrow for the Phillies business persons special. Good luck.
It's a beautiful park, and the weather should be great. My brother-in-law is the former managing partner of McFaddens, the bar attached to the ballpark. They usually have live music there after the day games (at least they did last year), it's a fun spot. It's easy to have a good time down there despite the Philles hiha .

·
Registered
184 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase. Where in Philly do you live? I grew up on the Main Line, and most of my family and friends are still there.

In terms of the maintenance, it's been pretty well documented here that BMW dealers charges seriously overcharge for Inspections I and II. A member (Hudson) here has a shop in Wayne that services BMW's so if you're close you might want to pm him and check it out.

In terms of warranty, I have two words of advice - get one. I'm pretty sure it's too late for you to extend the BMW warranty, so you'll have to go third-party.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
WannaM5 said:
Congratulations on the purchase. Where in Philly do you live? I grew up on the Main Line, and most of my family and friends are still there.

In terms of the maintenance, it's been pretty well documented here that BMW dealers charges seriously overcharge for Inspections I and II. A member (Hudson) here has a shop in Wayne that services BMW's so if you're close you might want to pm him and check it out.

In terms of warranty, I have two words of advice - get one. I'm pretty sure it's too late for you to extend the BMW warranty, so you'll have to go third-party.
I'm in Blue Bell now, having moved out here from Center City about a year ago. I'm very familiar with the Main Line, and not too far from Wayne (just down the Blue Route a bit). I'll have to look into that shop, thanks.

And you're right, I think I'll have to go third-party.

·
Registered
259 Posts
as far as the owners manual goes, i bought mine on eBay (actually the dealer paid me back since it was missing)

The whole kit including all the books and the ///M case was about $90. I just checked eBay, they dont have any now, but I do see them from time to time. I just search "2000 BMW M5 Owners Manual"

(I'm assuming MY2000 based on headlights and small navigation screen)

there is a MY 2001 manual listed if you're interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tegory=34227&sspagename=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

·
Registered
240 Posts
Welcome to the board from another Mainliner! Member "Hudson" has a shop in Wayne, and I would recommend using him for out of warranty work. He's a nice guy as well. P.M. him for his shop address.

Eric

·
Registered
931 Posts
Welcome to the Board and all of the riches that it holds.

Your car looks very nice! Good Luck and enjoy that Beast. :M5eyes:

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
congrats and welcome.
Regarding maintanance, given the car's age and milage (and i'm assuming lack of service history, since you have no books) i'd go all out, oil and filter, trans and diff oil, coolant and brake fluid. Maybe put a new set of plugs, air and microfilters, and if you want to go wild, a fuel filter. At least you then know where you stand, and can figure a reasonable schedule from there. I, for one, do not solely rely on my SII. It seems to take 13-14k miles to go thru that, and my car sees track time. I probably do an oil/filter change every 4k miles, usually around a track event. it may be excessive, but oil is relatively cheap.
Enjoy!
Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
7sport said:
Great looking car and seems like you got a great deal. Out of curiosity, what price was the dealer ASKING for the car? Thanks.
I actually don't remember the listed price, but I believe it was north of 38K. I really didn't negotiate all that much, because I was pretty happy with the price.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, and for the great advice. A board like this is an incredible resource, particularly for someone buying used. I got great information here during my search for a car, and I'm already getting great information as an owner.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Welcome fellow Mainliner. Looks like a nice car you picked up. The price sounds good too. As suggested here you probably should change the fluids and check the car over just to know what you have. The 30000 mile service will tell you a lot about the car.

You didn't say what year it was but looking at the dash and headlights it looks like a 2000. My 2000 has the same hole in the door seal as your. I need to replace it but haven't done so yet. The door seal is about 70 bucks plus installation, maybe a ½ hour.

I found a leather pouch for the manuals for my car on e-bay, so keep a watch there for you owners books. I remember seeing a whole set for a 2000 M5 when I was looking a few months ago. I recommend that you get all the proper owners manuals.

Good luck, that smile won't go away for a long time.

Joe

·
Registered
146 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts