BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2002 M5, Imola / Imola
1,681 Posts
Congrats on the 6MT V10! That's gotta be a great car. I was recently shopping an identical list of cars. I have an E46 M3 6MT as a DD currently, and want to get back into a 4-door with a manual. I was shopping the E90 M3, F80 M3, and E60 M5 like you. In the back of my head I was thinking if the right E39 M5 popped up, I wouldn't hesitate there either. And that's what happened. My favorite color combo - Imola on Imola - popped up in the classifieds here. Complete with records, a few nice mods already done, and reasonable milage I made the decision to jump on it! Funny time to be buying cars right now though. Enjoy yours in good health!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
thanks - enjoy! My last E39 was Imola - great color.

And yes - strange times indeed - I pulled the trigger on mine 2 weeks before the other shoe dropped on all of this and luckily got it loaded on a truck and rolling before everything was clamped down. Probably would have held off if it was a few weeks later - but glad I got it all wrapped up and home when I did.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Congrats on this vehicle! As the owner of an e39 M5 and an e61, I've also had some experience driving the two chassis, and even in its plebeian form, the cockpit on the E60/61 is a sizable improvement over the e39. I finally got the e39 out for a drive last weekend, and must say, with the exception of the engine in the e39, the e61 is a more enjoyable drive....I see why you made this choice.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Took it for a quick spin today - needed to get gas. It really is a joy to drive - got the motor up to 7500 in 1st this time - a quick 1-2 blip not even taking it all the way up in 2nd and the car is going 75 already! Not that I'm surprised since both my Camaros are in the 500hp range power-wise. Such a smooth engine - it really is more refined to drive than a S62 as well - I always felt the stock tune on a S62 left a few areas of strange behavior - this motor acts like a BMW I6 except that it just makes double the power!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Your tires are low :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
991 seem nice. I haven’t driven one. Thought about that but didn’t want to spend more than I got for the Panamera. I ended up spending a bunch less. Nice to have a little extra cash in the bank.
Good timing for that, cars are an expense that you've minimized in style!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Probably the batteries in those pesky sensors.
maybe - or maybe the head unit. The receiver side module is about $270 and 4 sensors are about the same. If it was one sensor it would show one tire down and the rest green, so I don't think it's the sensors. Although at 12 years if these are originals probably near the end of service life due to batteries. I doubt batteries are replaceable - I don't see that listed as a part at RockAuto anyway. So worst cast $550 to fix it but then I wonder is it even needed? I drove a E39 M5 for 8 years without any TMS....

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
maybe - or maybe the head unit. The receiver side module is about $270 and 4 sensors are about the same. If it was one sensor it would show one tire down and the rest green, so I don't think it's the sensors. Although at 12 years if these are originals probably near the end of service life due to batteries. I doubt batteries are replaceable - I don't see that listed as a part at RockAuto anyway. So worst cast $550 to fix it but then I wonder is it even needed? I drove a E39 M5 for 8 years without any TMS....
You can go to Discount tire and they replace those sensor for much less. I guess whenever you need new tires so you won't have to pay for extra mount/dismount/balance. As afar as needing or not - I don't know, the light alone would drive me bonkers.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts