BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
@C4RACER congrats in advance and welcome to the “afterthought” 6MT Club!

3.91 or 4.10 fixes any gearing issues on the 6MT. Also, I’ve never overheated my 6MT at any track days, with ambient temps north of 100 degrees. The 6MT is a solid transmission. I daily drove and tracked 139,000 miles out of my OEM clutch and transmission, which I just replaced. Now, I’m at 170,000 smiles.

Even at the limit the SMG may make the car faster, but not make the driver faster.

My 3.91 6MT quicker than 3.62 SMG in a straight line. The only SMG faster than me that day was running race fuel, while I was on California 91 pump gas.

View from my 6MT:

Same race, but from the SMG:

At the track, in the corners, that’s a “faster” SMG getting smaller in my rear view camera. Good thing his SMG shifts faster.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
No it’s not going to be a track car. Not a fan of the SMG based on the ones I’ve driven. And there is no way I would want that liability. The Porsche PDK is probably the best automated manual made and I still didn’t love it.

so this car is a 1/07 build so pretty hard to know what that means in terms of which version of the engine it has - I would assume it's a 1/07 build engine because the car shipped in 2/07, but I doubt there is any way to trace that via the VIN.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
@C4RACER congrats in advance and welcome to the “afterthought” 6MT Club!

3.91 or 4.10 fixes any gearing issues on the 6MT. Also, I’ve never overheated my 6MT at any track days, with ambient temps north of 100 degrees. The 6MT is a solid transmission. I daily drove and tracked 139,000 miles out of my OEM clutch and transmission, which I just replaced. Now, I’m at 170,000 smiles.

Even at the limit the SMG may make the car faster, but not make the driver faster.

My 3.91 6MT quicker than 3.62 SMG in a straight line. The only SMG faster than me that day was running race fuel, while I was on California 91 pump gas.

View from my 6MT:

Same race, but from the SMG:

At the track, in the corners, that’s a “faster” SMG getting smaller in my rear view camera. Good thing his SMG shifts faster.
Its not about straight line speed, shift speed or any of that. Its about the experience. SMG is made for S85, 6MT feels very archaic with this engine. Yes, I drove both extensively (many hours behind the wheel) before deciding which one to get. I have 5 other manual BMWs, but for my M6, its was SMG no question.

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Its not about straight line speed, shift speed or any of that. Its about the experience. SMG is made for S85, 6MT feels very archaic with this engine. Yes, I drove both extensively (many hours behind the wheel) before deciding which one to get. I have 5 other manual BMWs, but for my M6, its was SMG no question.
I've driven both and prefer the 6MT. To each his own!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
decided based on the info provided on the improvements made in the version 2 S85 motors per the link from CSBM5 with the fully draining oil pan and the improved Vanos gear - I am going with the 2008 car I was originally looking at instead. This won't have the version 3 improved oil squirter which would be ideal, but has the initial improvements made in the motor which I feel are important ones. Also the dealer came down on the price making it a very attractive deal, and it will have the 08 infotainment system improvements plus the refreshed interior. Also that car has fold-down rear seats which I greatly prefer for transporting my road bike. This one is Monoco Blue which is a rather rare color as well - supposedly 17 made in that color - not sure if that's true, but it's a really nice looking car. All stock. 65K miles. Rod bearings still original. I will do a blackstone analysis after first oil change after about 4K miles and decide based on that if I do them then or later. And maybe I won't even wait - plan is to do them as long as I am keeping the car awhile so might give it a few months to make sure before I drop that $3.5K.

Yes - this one also a 6MT.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Excellent choice and unique color too! With proper upkeep, it won't depreciate from here at all imo. Now it's time for that full Meisterschaft exhaust -- not sure I've ever heard a car sound as wicked as that going by at full song.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Congrats and welcome back! I just read through this whole thread from the beginning. Nice to see/hear opinions given on the various platforms without it degrading into arguments.

I will own an e60 M5 someday, for similar use. Just occasional drives, short road trips, etc. I would also search for the 6MT. If you think people have strong opinions for pro SMG, people get even more opinionated about the F10 M5 S63 with DCT! All the same arguments and they are valid points if someone cared about them. I have a 6MT 2013 M5 and absolutely love it. I don't care if the engine operation works better with DCT. It works just fine with a 6 speed too. Since I daily drive the F10, that everyday shift action is what I want. I think you will love the E60 with 6MT and wish you luck!

PS - please post up a picture when you get the car! Monaco Blue sounds amazing!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I do think the e60 is the best driving generation of M5, by a pretty significant margin.
Yes - I do too. And it was just time for me to own one. I've had two E39 M5's and I had already owned a E90 generation car - 328i convertible. So considering what I am looking for from the car and the rest of my stable - it makes more sense to take the plunge now while I can. Not like these type of cars will ever be made again.
Eventually I think someday I will get a E46 M3 too - that's another car on my bucket list. Or maybe a Z4 M coupe or roadster instead. We'll see how long the Camaro SS stays with me. 4 years at this point and not bored with it yet!

The dealer I purchased the M5 from is arranging shipping now - I am hoping it goes out this week. Should have it around the end of March if all goes well.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Looking good!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
got it out for a 25min drive. Very impressed with this car. It's a lot like a E39 M5, except has a more refined and stiffer chassis - communicates much better through steering, very precise with plenty of feel from the steering and chassis. Transmission is similar - pretty typical BMW there - it works, it's refined, shifts well, it's not a sports car set-up. I hear the Z3 shifter and knob is a bolt in and reduces the throws significantly - will probably give that a try.

The motor is a real gem. It just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling. I didn't get all the way into the rev range yet - made it to ~7K a few times. Got some nice scratch from a hard 1-2 shift up around 6500, but the car just plants and goes. It's really easy to drive this car stupidly fast - but unlike the Panamera it has a lot more power and a lot lot lot more feedback. Exactly what I was looking for from my sedan - much more my kind of car for sure. Very analog feeling car all around. Probably the latest generation of BMW where you can get this - along with the E90 era M3 and maybe the current M2 but those are rather small cars.

Runs a bit rough when cold - I assume that's normal - even the S62 did. I was getting some vibration from 1500-3000 rpm, could be just cold motor - seemed to go away once warmed up. Could also be motor mounts are starting to go. Either way those will be replaced when I do rod bearings in the next 5-10K miles so for now I won't stress about it. It was 40 degrees when I headed out for the drive.

My plan is to do a full fluid refresh - oil, trans, diff anyway. Will wait on coolant since I have the 4 radiator hoses ready to do at some point. Also will skip brakes - the ABS controller was just replaced so that was all flushed recently anyway.

Oh - and if I didn't already mention the car showed up yesterday!! Woo Hoo!!

Monaco is a very deep dark blue - looks black in low light, but it's not like Carbon Black - way more blue and less metallic. Very pretty color. Not sure I've ever seen another one in this color.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hi C4racer,

Nice initial response for your thoughts there!

Once you take care of any mechanical issues that you feel are required quickly, will you be making your E60 look better too?! ;)

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Probably will lower it slightly with Dinan springs.
likely open up the exhaust to hear this glorious motor better. Again likely Dinan there. Needs floor mats. That’s about it. Maybe spacers on wheels- they suck in maybe a bit much from factory. But I like the stock wheels and tire sizes. rear tires are 285-30-19

·
Registered
195 Posts
Congrats on the 3 pedal e60, my coworker had one with an exhaust and we still both talk about the sound of that car!
Those cars feel smaller on the road than they are.
I was about to respond to your post then read you bought the e60.

In October 2018 I was in the same boat looking at the e90 and F80 as a replacement for my e39 M5. The e90 had to be driven hard for the power up top and I wanted something for around town/DD that was easy to enjoy. Drove the F80 and felt similar to you, it drove like a lot of other newer cars in feel, however the thought of an exhaust and tuning one will get me back someday maybe:)
So I ended up with a 991s for the awesome sound, ease of parking, maintenance (oil change, plugs, serpentine), and back-up track car when the rat is apart. Kept the e39 M5 and will always have one!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
991 seem nice. I haven’t driven one. Thought about that but didn’t want to spend more than I got for the Panamera. I ended up spending a bunch less. Nice to have a little extra cash in the bank.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts