BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Forgot rear airbag. Do I need it?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mailman 
#1 ·
Just did my first rear lock actuator (if was fun getting the door open after the actuator failed). Put everything back together and realized I forgot to reinstall the airbag. It is deactivated from the factory. Is there any reason I need to take the door panel back off at this point just to reinstall the airbag?

Thanks, Cory

#2 ·
If it's deactivated in the software then no; in fact I'm about 95% sure that when they are deactivated they are ALSO supposed to be unplugged. So the difference between it being in the door and unplugged and in your garage and unplugged is just. . . weight savings! Oh, but do please store and/or dispose of it safely! Airbags do NOT make great storage tables for wrenches!!! :p

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies! Airbag was never plugged in, so no airbag light. I will store it correctly and reinstall it next time the door panel is off.

#6 ·
Funny! I put a new bead of Window Weld on the vapor barrier, but if this car is anything like the E46 I maintained for 170k miles, it will be needing a window regulator soon.

Cory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.