BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a new set of 20" wheels and I am trying to determine which manufacturer is best for the money.

I originally considered the Dinans, but feel 19s are too small aesthetically for my taste. I love the RAC wheels, but don't think I have the patience to wait for the group buy to happen.

I am now considering Forgeline ZX3s, BBS LMs or HRE 590R. How do you guys compare these wheels quality wise? The pricing is fairly similar with the HRE's being the most expensive. The HREs and Forgeline look very similar. Are they made from the same place?

I briefly considered IForged wheels, but have read that they are heavy and a lower quality wheel. Is this true?

Please help.

Tony

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
The best will come to the only one who wait.:haha: (at least that what i've been telling myself). RAC Monolite RG4v2, the best quality with money spend. Lightest and cheapest and one of the best quality of all your choices.

Put yourself on the RAC Groupbuy, it looks like it moving to phase 2 very soon, then another 5-6months. Or HRE Monoblock (similar to P40 style, 7-double spokes), should be out first week of April.

BBS LM, if you get from US version(like TireRack), I believe only come with 20x8.5 and 20x9.5. If you import from japan or japanese version, it will have 20x9 and 20x10. Weight similar to OEM 19" (25-27lbs)

Neez QD7 looks good too, if you can justify to spend that kind of money.

Good Luck with your choice,

I want to buy a new set of 20" wheels and I am trying to determine which manufacturer is best for the money.

I originally considered the Dinans, but feel 19s are too small aesthetically for my taste. I love the RAC wheels, but don't think I have the patience to wait for the group buy to happen.

I am now considering Forgeline ZX3s, BBS LMs or HRE 590R. How do you guys compare these wheels quality wise? The pricing is fairly similar with the HRE's being the most expensive. The HREs and Forgeline look very similar. Are they made from the same place?

I briefly considered IForged wheels, but have read that they are heavy and a lower quality wheel. Is this true?

Please help.

Tony

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
From experience is who ever has the best customer service...

·
Registered
80 Posts
best

AC Schnitzer Type V. Yah baby!

Please help.

Tony

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
+1000 what Barry Lausch stated.
Now this is a very touchy subject. There are alot of opinions but points to be considered should be:
1. Quality of construction
2. weights
3. Diversity of wheel style choices
4. cost
5. manufacture support and backing of the product
6. availablity

All said IMO the best company is HRE. Every component of the wheel are made in-house (not out sourced) except the titanium rivots which are made in Germany.

The RAC monolite wheel for the price, weight and design becomes a very good choice.

The Neez QD7 is an excellent wheel but the cost is outrageous and I then prefer for the money get Dymag CF wheels (they are incredible).

HRE provides a very large variety of wheel style choices.

Here are pics of a new wheel style from HRE called the monoblok forged aluminum. Soon to be available for the M5/M6. Comes in brushed aluminum, gunmetal or satin black finish.
I have these on my Audi RS4, running 19x9.5 and weigh 21 lbs.

http://picasaweb.google.com/whitneydelgado63/AudiRS4AndTheGang

Due to HRE's exact dedication the custom design, they made these wheels for me w/ specific offsets so I could run 285/30/19 tires all-around when this tire size was stated to be unable to be used.

:cheers:
M5Ranger...Juan

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
You shoudl also consider the upkeep as well. I agree with the above posts with HRE, RAC, and BBS all being great wheels. But the HRE are a chore to keep looking new whereas the BBS are much easier. So it really depends on what your looking for out of your rims. IMO, you really cant go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Up keep is a real issue to maintain the wheels looking great.
My HRE 590R's after one year look like day one on my M5.
The new HRE monoblok wheels will totally easy to maintain. These HRE monoblok wheels will come in the 7 spoke split mesh and 11 spoke design. They are great.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Up keep is a real issue to maintain the wheels looking great.
My HRE 590R's after one year look like day one on my M5.
The new HRE monoblok wheels will totally easy to maintain. These HRE monoblok wheels will come in the 7 spoke split mesh and 11 spoke design. They are great.
Juan, I went to HRE headquarter in Vista yesterday to check out their existing Monoblock P40 (none for M5 yet to produce) and he said it will be very similar to P40 but with BMW style:confused2 (if you know what they mean, but I don'touich) Anyway, the quality and craftsmanship are top notch. The first set of production will be April 1 (hopefully not April fool:haha:)

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I've been debating going to a more performance oriented wheel like the ones mentioned here as well. I know the QD7s are expensive but I guess I still rate visual appeal very highly and I think the QD7s look the best above the RACs and Monoblocks.

Maybe the Monoblocks for BMWs will look slightly more aggressive than the ones for the Mercedes? I love the aggressive inward curvature of the QD7s.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
The monobloks are coming for the M5 real soon, stay tuned because it will be end of March to early April. I should have the first set in a couple weeks for the M5.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Hey Juan, any idea of price and weight for the Monobloks?

I'm in no hurry to change my wheels so I can definitely wait and see what they look like.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Earlier in this thread I gave a link for pics of the monobloks as shown on my AudiRS4. The 19 x 9.5" wheel is 21 lbs. You could extrapolate for 19" wheels for M5 sizes which should be the same or lighter.
The 19 x 12" wheel for the GT3 is 25 lbs. as another relative correlation.

The set I am expecting from HRE are 20x9 and 20x11 wheels. I will weigh them when they arrive. These wheels are beautiful and am planning to get a pinstripe on the outer lip.

Cheers,
M5Ranger...Juan

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Looking forward to seeing pics of your new wheels!

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Earlier in this thread I gave a link for pics of the monobloks as shown on my AudiRS4. The 19 x 9.5" wheel is 21 lbs. You could extrapolate for 19" wheels for M5 sizes which should be the same or lighter.
The 19 x 12" wheel for the GT3 is 25 lbs. as another relative correlation.

The set I am expecting from HRE are 20x9 and 20x11 wheels. I will weigh them when they arrive. These wheels are beautiful and am planning to get a pinstripe on the outer lip.

Cheers,
M5Ranger...Juan
I visited HRE headquarter yesterday, they told me HRE Monoblock for BMW can weight up to 27lbs rear (I assume 10.5-11"). A little disappointed in weight, but the quality/craftsmanship is :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Wow, I was expecting them to weigh around 22-23lbs.

·
Registered
307 Posts
All good wheels. I chose RAC for my M3 b/c they were readily available. I would not want to wait for a group buy. Puke. BBS is always a good choice. I like HRE a lot due to infinite choices in style and offsets, etc. Not as familiar with Forgeline. One of my good friends is a HRE distributor + Maya and others. If you decide to go with HRE I may be able to hook you up.

Regards,

Scott

1 - 20 of 87 Posts