BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This Red Key Turns Your Boss Mustang Into A Race Car

Really? A key to do less than what the 'Sport' button ('M' button) does on everyone else's car? This Ford Key doesn't even adjust the suspension, perhaps the most important part of transforming your ride into a 'competition-ready track car.' And, of course, to change out of the aggressive performance mode, you have to pull over, shut down the car, dig out your 'Regular' Key and start up again. Genius! American car manufacturers continue to fail at the simplest things. :confused3 :crying: :grinyes:

·
Registered
881 Posts

Really? A key to do less than what the 'Sport' button ('M' button) does on everyone else's car? This Ford Key doesn't even adjust the suspension, perhaps the most important part of transforming your ride into a 'competition-ready track car.' And, of course, to change out of the aggressive performance mode, you have to pull over, shut down the car, dig out your 'Regular' Key and start up again. Genius! American car manufacturers continue to fail at the simplest things. :confused3 :crying: :grinyes:
Honestly I think it's a really good way for the owner to decide how much power the car produces for any given scenario. Certainly it stops the valet 'driver' from just hitting the Sport button as you mention and unleashing another 100 hp.

Bish

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Honestly I think it's a really good way for the owner to decide how much power the car produces for any given scenario. Certainly it stops the valet 'driver' from just hitting the Sport button as you mention and unleashing another 100 hp.

Bish
Considering that the 'Street' key has the full 444 HP, this doesn't work too well as a valet mode either. A proper valet key ought to reprogram the ECU to limit power to perhaps 200 HP and lock the traction control to max, etc. to severely limit the car's performance. After all, if the 'Track' mode is as aggressive as they are advertising, is the owner really going to ride around with the car in 'Track' mode all the time?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

Honestly, I think you are being a little harsh on Ford. I am sure that some corporate lawyer made this suggestion, as they were probably worried that some knucklehead owner is going to hurt (or worse) him/herself and blame Ford for making it too easy to disable traction/stability control. This way the use of the red key is kind of a "you knew what you were getting into" procedure thing. I think Bugatti did the same thing for their whole top speed mode thing, where you have to insert a separate key to get the all out performance.

Tom

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly, I think you are being a little harsh on Ford. I am sure that some corporate lawyer made this suggestion, as they were probably worried that some knucklehead owner is going to hurt (or worse) him/herself and blame Ford for making it too easy to disable traction/stability control. This way the use of the red key is kind of a "you knew what you were getting into" procedure thing. I think Bugatti did the same thing for their whole top speed mode thing, where you have to insert a separate key to get the all out performance.

Tom
Quite right about Bugatti, but it was done essentially as a gimmick (the Veyron will still hit 220+ MPH in button-actuated 'Sport' mode and you have access to all 1000 HP regardless), which is what this Ford thing is as well. How many Ford cars have a TC defeat button on the dashboard already? Per the article, this 'Track' mode does not unleash extra HP, which would potentially justify a separate key to 'protect' the driver. However, this would not be the first time a domestic car manufacturer's Legal and/or Accounting deptartments made a head-scratching decision.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Most cars sold in the UK now come with some sort of "sport" button.

In 99% of cases it's just a marketing ploy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts