BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I've noticed that there are two (2) seperate or different part numbers for the radio complaint "stereo to mono fade" complaint. I will be ordering the radio through my BMW parts dept. so I can also get the Sirius sat. radio BUt I want to make sure I order the correct radio unit with the correct part number. For those who have actually successfully completed this mod, can you please let me know the actual part number you used when ordering the radio from your BMW dealer. Thanks lot!
Robert :cheers:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The service measure I have dated 4/30/2004 has part number 65 12 4 135 562 (BM53 radio)

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
boostmiser said:
The service measure I have dated 4/30/2004 has part number 65 12 4 135 562 (BM53 radio)

Okay...........
Yes, the service measure is now one year old, and that part number no longer exists in the BMW parts computer system. Since then there have been ssooo many numbers that have super ceeded that part number.
The newest part number for a BMW business radio is 65-12-6-964-399.
Im just not sure if this part number is the replacement number for the original number posted by so many people on the message board. can anyone clarify???
Robert :confused:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'll chip in with my $0.02 worth as I have been moving toward a Sirius installation for 3 months.

In January, I complained to my dealer about the abhorrent "stereo to mono" fade. It took two visits because the first time they installed a new amplifier (part # 65-12-4-127-873). After a polite hiatus, I returned to the dealer saying that the fade had recurred. And, I handed my service rep a copy of Service Measure B65 209 04 dtd 4/30/04. Bingo, they said they'd install a new radio but that it would have to be ordered. In fact, it was backordered for about 6 weeks.

In the order process, the dealer said that the part no. cited in the SM, 65-12-4-135-562, no longer registered in the BMW parts system, i.e., nothing came up when that # was entered. And, I got a "geneology" of the radio part no.
From the oldest to the newest, they are as follows ( note, all begin wth "65"): 12-6-904-214 RMFD, 12-6-919-081, 12-6-922-513 REPLMT, 10-6-933-090 AM/FM Radio, 65-10-927-911 REPLMT, 12-6-964-399 RMFD, 12-6-943-450 RFMD and 12-6-927-911 RPLMT. [RMFD=remanufactured; RPLMT=replacement].

So, I have now the 927-911 in lieu of what the tech listed as "65-12-6-922-512. Note this is one digit off from that part listed in the geneology.

I have confirmed through another dealer that this is the latest and most current part number, that older part numbers can no longer be ordered and that the 911 part is Sirius compatible.

As a result of this process and providing the service manager with a copy of Gustav's "Everything you ever wanted to know about converting an M5 with navigation to Sirius radio but were afraid to ask," the service manager said they would charge me an hour's labor for the installation and, if it did not work, take the parts back which sure beats having $400 worth of parts you can't use. So, I told him to order the Sirius module, antenna and install kit.

All I can say is this is the twisted journey I have made to date. I hope it all works when installed. Not sure what else to check out before flipping the switch and going satellite. But, if someone has an idea or two, let me know.
5driver

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
FANTASTIC ! Question for 5DRIVER................

So what's the bottom line? Can you please tell us the "exact" part number we should tell or request our service writer to order from the BMW parts dept. I also wrote in a previous message that the original indicated part # is no longer good.
Here it is, "the service measure is now one year old, and that part number no longer exists in the BMW parts computer system. Since then there have been ssooo many numbers that have super ceeded that part number.
Im just not sure if this part number is the replacement number for the original number posted by so many people on the message board. can anyone clarify???
So now Im wondering which is the correct part number, since your number and my number differ, but we both got our numbers from the parts dept.. when they did their research, regarding the old non-existing part number. Also, would you please tell us the part numers for the Sirius module, part number for the antenna and for the install kit.
Please let us know, so this can be simplfied, once and for all! Many thanks! Im next in line to do this mod, so Im trying to get all the correct part numbers.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
R-

atchung was in the middle of a sirius install with one of the radios- not sure which, but it wasn't working... it will be helpful to hear if he got it working. Also, I'd see what happens with 5driver.

As you well know, this is not a 'BMW Supported' upgrade - unfortunately, this will probably take someone getting it to work with each specific radio.

What radio is listed for an E46 w/ Nav 9/03 and on???

The reason I ask is that there is a sirius kit listed for this model- I assume the radio in this car is compatible... reaching a bit, but a data point.

A

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had my radio replaced in my 03. The first complaint was the stereo/mono fade problem, which seemed to have improved after the radio improvement. I say improved because I still heard the stereo/mono fade, but less pronounced.

With the new radio came a new problem, a much bigger problem than the fm stereo fade. My radio now, totally randomly and with any source (AM, FM, CD, and AUX which has an iPod connected), mutes itself for anywhere from 2 seconds to longest I've seen around 20 seconds. If I don't feel like waiting the xxx seconds, turning the radio off and on again usually brings it right back.

I brought it in a few weeks ago. My SA said the part number for the first replacement radio was superseded with a new one, which I now have. I can tell you the stereo/mono fade issue is back in full force, like the original radio that came in my car new, and my mute problem has also been improved slightly. Yes it still mutes on any source at random, but it comes back on quicker. Still a big and very annoying problem for me. I will complain about this again next time I go in.

I wish to take back my original radio without the mute problem. I can live with the fm stereo fade problem but not this. I really don't know if the fm stereo fade is really a problem. We had a Lexus RX300 that had a similar thing with FM (only started paying attention after people complained about it in the 03 M5), and now another Toyota we have now also does the same thing in FM.

I don't know if this mute problem is unique to my car, but be aware if you decide to have your radio changed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just recently completed the Sirius upgrade on my '05 M5 a couple of weeks ago. Like Mike in the eariler response, I ordered the exact parts listed on the bimmernav web site (Radio P/N 65.12.6.927.910). I went through BMW of Sterling at the end of this past February to get the radio and they did have to get it from Germany. It was the exact part number and works great!

Dave

·
Registered
168 Posts
Re: FANTASTIC ! Question for 5DRIVER................

FAST 5 said:
So what's the bottom line? Can you please tell us the "exact" part number we should tell or request our service writer to order from the BMW parts dept. I also wrote in a previous message that the original indicated part # is no longer good.
Here it is, "the service measure is now one year old, and that part number no longer exists in the BMW parts computer system. Since then there have been ssooo many numbers that have super ceeded that part number.
So now Im wondering which is the correct part number, since your number and my number differ, but we both got our numbers from the parts dept.. when they did their research, regarding the old non-existing part number. Also, would you please tell us the part numers for the Sirius module, part number for the antenna and for the install kit.
Please let us know, so this can be simplfied, once and for all! Many thanks! Im next in line to do this mod, so Im trying to get all the correct part numbers.
OK, Fast 5, your bottom line is this. I got my Sirius compatible radio last week, part # 65-12-6-927911. I believe this is the latest one, i.e., it supersedes the P/N you cited as noted in my "radio geneology."

I work with two dealers here in Atlanta, Global Imports and United BMW. Both "swear" this is the most current radio. Furthermore, both have had BMWNA personnel review Gustav's installation link and the BMWNA people plus each dealer's techs think the conversion will work. And, given the quote of an hour's labor to try it out, I don't have much to lose.

The additional parts per bmwcenternet are (1) a Sirius receiver P/N 84-11-0-141-981 ($265), (2) antenna P/N 84-11-0-390-239 (60), (3) the installation kit P/N 84-11-0-141-975 and sometimes an Audio "Y" cable P/N 84-11-0-150-526 ($15.10). The book labor time for the "normal" installation is 1.5 hrs. So, again, my quote of 1 hr. seems fine. I have confirmed spedifically with United that these parts are compatible with the radio I put in. But, if they're not, I'm out one hour's labor.

Can I guarantee this will work? No, but I've run the string out about as far as I can go. And, again, for, say, $80 +/- I can find out.

I'll report back when the install succeeds or fails. don't have a hard timeline but would guess about 2-4 weeks.

One suggestion, if you can get all the parts tagged in your name without having to pay for them, I would do it. When I ordered the above radio 7 weeks ago, there were 246 backordered from Germany.

Good luck. 5 driver

·
Registered
168 Posts
Update, Robert. I will have my Sirius installed within the next week. I'll let you know its cost and success(?). 5driver

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Dealer ordered my radio today based on bulletin B65 209 04. The part number is 65 12 4 135 562

Why all the discrepancies in part numbers?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I installed my Sirius last week. Radio part # I got is 65-12-6-964-399, build date of Feb 2005 is on the sticker. works great, plug and play in <30 mins. I ended up deciding to mount the antenna under the rear shelf, so that took me another 45 mins. (I've been back there before.)

·
Registered
168 Posts
OK, guys, perseverance pays off. As promised Fast 5, I am reporting back on the dealer's installation today of Sirius in my '03 Beast with navigation. I am now Sirius radio active.

As noted in one of my reply's below, following the evil "stereo to mon fade," I had my radio replaced with P/N 65-12-6-927-911 on March 24th.

Today, the dealer installed P/Ns:
65-12-0-398-140 [Sirius receiver @ $345.60];
84-11-0-141-975 [E39 Sirius kit @ $60];
84-11-0-392-099 [Sirius antenna kit @ $60]; and
84-11-0-150-526 [Sirius CD ext. cable @ $15.10].

Because of the "experimental" nature of this installation, the service manager charged me only one hour of labor. He absorbed the overage as "shop time." In fact, it took 2.5 hours from the time they drove the car away until they brought it back.

Regarding the time and labor, I opted for a roof mount of the antenna. To do this, they run the antenna wire up the crevice (where the window seal is) along side the rear window and across to the center of the roof. Then, the wire is extended onto the roof where it is plugged into the antenna. Both the wire on the roof and the antenna are held in place magnetically. Had I elected to have it mounted on the rear shelf inside the window, the labor would have been significantly more. And, as threads on this site have noted, an interior mount can result, but not always, in degraded signal reception. Note, also, that a roof mount needs to be removed (easily plucked off) when you run your car through the car wash, if there's anybody out there that does that.

So, now the bottom line as requested by Fast 5, the install described above WORKS GREAT, all 2.5 hours I've had it!! The station, channel and track info come right up on my Nav screen. I'm still working on how to get it to scroll through the artist's name, title, etc.

I know there is much confusion regarding part nos. But, those noted above came right off my work order sitting here on my desk.

A thousand tips of the hat to Gustav for posting the detailed installation procedure for the benefit of us all. My dealer "Master Technician" had the copy I gave them stuck in his pocket as he drove my car away.

So, that's where this story ends for now. Should any problems arise, I'll let you all know. Any questions? 5 Driver :cool:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts