BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my dealer finally has received the newest radio to fix the "stereo to mono" issue on my '02.

Thanks again to all who helped me get to this point. Ard provided the TSB that finally convinced the dealership to order the radio.

My SA seems fairly frightened about the software for this radio as it is the latest edition. He has braced me for up to 3 days of the car sitting there while they converse with BMWNA about the software upgrade. I'm thinking "WTF...3 days to load some software", etc.

So for those who have done this radio upgrade, has the software upgrade been an issue?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The only 'problem' I've had since the upgrade (two months now) is AM reception. It's almost non-existent. My dealer had it done in a day...so not sure what the problem is.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I droped off the car in the am, picked it up in the afternoon, all was well. I did not try AM radio as I never listen to it. Now that I did the NAV MK4/Sirius radio install all is working and that was almost plug and play.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
boostmiser said:
The only 'problem' I've had since the upgrade (two months now) is AM reception. It's almost non-existent. My dealer had it done in a day...so not sure what their problem is.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MEnthusiast said:
What was the problem with the radio?
Certain M5 radios shift from stereo to mono phase and back again while listening to FM radio. The fix is a newer radio and new software.

Thanks for the other replys. I'll let my SA know when I drop it off that others have had software upgraded in less than a day.

·
Registered
235 Posts
They have had your car for 3 days ??? I'd *****. That process should only take 30 minutes MAX.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
El_Mono said:
They have had your car for 3 days ??? I'd *****. That process should only take 30 minutes MAX.
Not yet they haven't. I drop it off tomorrow; however, the SA said that the software could take up to 3 days to install correctly because (so he says) it is a new version and the techs are not familiar with it, blah, blah. I agree, it sounds ludicrous to me as well which is why I wanted some feedback.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
KevinM,

Be happy that your dealership will even replace your radio! I had my '03 in for Inspection I for the last four days, handed them the TSB that showed what the problem is, and they said "we can't replace it if we can't reproduce the problem". Total BS...now I have to contact BMWNA to get it taken care of... grrrrrrr

SA's are such morons (my apologies to those BMW SA's on the board who know their *** from a hole in the ground)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Bummer that you have such a bad SA/$tealership....
My radio was replaced with out a problem. I may have been lucky, but I am glade my Sirius radio is in and working :1:

·
10,458 Posts
M-Fünf said:
KevinM,

Be happy that your dealership will even replace your radio! I had my '03 in for Inspection I for the last four days, handed them the TSB that showed what the problem is, and they said "we can't replace it if we can't reproduce the problem". Total BS...now I have to contact BMWNA to get it taken care of... grrrrrrr

SA's are such morons (my apologies to those BMW SA's on the board who know their *** from a hole in the ground)
Come on Jeff, you supersprint x pipe is the real cause of your radio problem. something about sound waves of the x pipe interfering with the dsp system, wavelengths etc...
Mike

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
mottati said:
Come on Jeff, you supersprint x pipe is the real cause of your radio problem. something about sound waves of the x pipe interfering with the dsp system, wavelengths etc...
Mike
hiha hiha hiha hiha hiha

Evidently it's the cause of the grease smeared on my roof as well :confused3

If I didn't love this car so much, I swear grrrrrrr

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't want to turn this into another dealer-bashing thread, but what is the deal with (many/?most) BMW dealerships? Most (many/?some) BMW drivers know at least something about their cars and are passionate about them. BMW courts this type of driving fanatic, who tend to be somewhat particular about their cars.

You'd think the dealerships would be HELPING us out, especially with the 5-point rating system that is so (theoretically) important to them.

The thought that a SA (or anyone connected to BMW) can look at a BMW TSB describing the problem exactly (and intermittent at that) and say that they cannot do anything makes me steam, and I'm a pretty level guy.

At the Mercedes dealership, where I bring my wife's car for service, they are practicallly falling over each other to help me. In retrospect, the fact is that I am much LESS picky about her car, which may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
What "software" adjustment are you referring to in a radio install? I know that AM tuners need to be tuned to the anteenna for best reception-- is that what you're talking about?

Wilkie

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
KevinM said:
My SA seems fairly frightened about the software for this radio as it is the latest edition. He has braced me for up to 3 days of the car sitting there while they converse with BMWNA about the software upgrade. I'm thinking "WTF...3 days to load some software", etc.

Thanks.
I would tell them to give you a loaner (typically dealership gets charged) which should have the desired effect of making them want to get it done quickly (but give them credit for wanting to get it done correctly the first time) and I would note the mileage so they don't put on 30-40 miles "testing" the software!!! :1:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wilkie said:
What "software" adjustment are you referring to in a radio install? I know that AM tuners need to be tuned to the anteenna for best reception-- is that what you're talking about?

Wilkie
No, the SA is just referring to the overall software that needs to be installed whenever a new radio is put in. I think he is just worried because this particular dealership has never put in this radio, which is a relatively new model. Judging from others on this board who have had the install, hopefully his worry is unfounded.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gsfent said:
I would tell them to give you a loaner (typically dealership gets charged) which should have the desired effect of making them want to get it done quickly (but give them credit for wanting to get it done correctly the first time) and I would note the mileage so they don't put on 30-40 miles "testing" the software!!! :1:
Regards,
Jerry
Yes, I have a loaner (athough I believe the dealer owns the loaner cars) and I took a digital picture of the mileage when I dropped it off this morning. We shall see.

Incidentally, I would have never even thought of taking a picture of the mileage before I owned an M5 (and I owned 2 different 5 series prior). However, the first time I brought it in for service, I am convinced it was taken on a joy ride...now I'm more careful.

·
10,458 Posts
KevinM said:
No, the SA is just referring to the overall software that needs to be installed whenever a new radio is put in. I think he is just worried because this particular dealership has never put in this radio, which is a relatively new model. Judging from others on this board who have had the install, hopefully his worry is unfounded.
Sounds fishy to me. I installed a new radio unit in my car as part of the sirius retrofit and my car has never seen a dealer since! There was no "software upgrade" needed, it's a radio!
If the radio has any software, it was preinstalled in my case. When i installed my mk4 nav computer, i did need to load software to is as there was none preinstalled.

Now I could have my new radio and nav system "coded" to my car, but i see no reason to, since i'm not having any issues. In addition, if i were to have my nav system coded to my car, i'd get the "accept" screen back.
Mike

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, it turns out the SA's concern was for naught. I got the car back the same day with radio installed and Service I done as well.

So far it seems as if the new radio has fixed the previously described problem.

Thanks to all who chimed in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts