BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading the stereo in my M and was hoping to get some feedback regarding amps.

For the *boom*boom*pow I will be running 2 IDQv3 D4s, I want to make sure they are well fed so I plan on sending each of them their recommended 500Wrms.

I am interested in (but not sold on) running a Class A/B amp for SQ purposes, but class A/Bs are not very efficient and draw lots of current from the car. The Orion HCCA1000.2 is a 2 channel A/B amp and JBL makes the GTO14001 which is actually an A/B monoblock!

The obvious choice is a Class D, they are much more efficient and cost less than Class A/B but even these "efficient" amps need take power from the M5's electrical system to do their jobs. Class D options are the JL Audio 1000/1v2 and Alpine PDX 1.1000

Another amp on my list is the ARC Audio KS1000.1 which is a black sheep since it is class G/H.

Has anyone used amps in this power range in their M? I am mainly interested to know if a Class A/B causes noticeable strain on the stock alternator.

I still have tons to learn about mobile audio so any additional information or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Evan

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Evan,

The amplification in my car totals around 800w r.m.s (4 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, less than 0.05% THD I seem to recall), all of which is class A/B. Reasonable quality gear, but nothing out of the ordinary (that's saved for home cinema / hifi:biggrinbounce:). Amps are a JL Audio 300/4 & Directed Audio 600/4, powering 6.5" Focal components and 10" Directed Viper subs respectively, mostly hidden away. Need to build a new false boot wall infront of the amps though....

I have it set up for sound quality as opposed to ridiculous bass, but even so, the alternator cannot deal with it at full pelt. I do not tend to listen to it at silly volumes anyway, but on the odd occasion when I've decided to see what it will do, I have been aware of the interior lighting dimming slightly to the bassline. :rolleyes:

At vaguely normal sound levels, there is no problem at all. Feel free to ask any questions - there are plenty of people on here with upgraded audio, and while I am not a member of the search police, there is a hell of a lot of info already on here about peoples builds that you may find useful.

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
I run three Tru Technology amps totaling 1060 watts RMS output without issue. I never even reach half of the possible volume on my headunit, however. I'm sure if I cranked it all the way, I would experience dimming and other voltage fluctuations. I am, as a result, exploring obtaining a high-output alternator, probably 150 amp.

--Peter

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

Since my amp will be class D maybe that will help a little when listening to normal-moderate listening volumes. I am probably not in the clear if I really want to "get after it" with some bass heavy tracks but l will cross that bridge when I get there.

Probably a wise idea to head back to Evosport and have them swap my Performance underdrive pulley for the Audiophile version! grrrrrrr

Evan

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I never even reach half of the possible volume on my headunit, however.
--Peter

I know someone who has..... "Zero, Tim, don't go past zero!" LOL, my bad dude......

I have a fare amount of power in my car, PDX4.150 and a Memphis Audio 16-MCD1000 (1ohm 1000 watts) I DO listen to my stereo loud, all the time. Yes, I am a volume/bass master, I like it when my ears bleed and I can't breathe from the bass, shut up. I have not experienced an issues. I am adding a PDX-5 and more speakers to my stereo this winter, and don't plan on changing anything about my electrical system. I am going to let herrubermensch to the hard work and find the alternator for our cars before stepping mine up as well. LOL. Thanks Peter! Haha.....

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
I know someone who has..... "Zero, Tim, don't go past zero!" LOL, my bad dude......

I am going to let herrubermensch to the hard work and find the alternator for our cars before stepping mine up as well. LOL. Thanks Peter! Haha.....
LOL. I remember saying that like it was yesterday!

I go back and forth about the alternator. I'll keep you posted. Going to talk to a place today about it.

--Peter

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Timmay,

How do you like your Memphis amp? I am mainly concerned about it's efficiency and performance. The MCD1000 is a possibility for me but it is a little more difficult to come by in the marketplace.

Here is the short list of amps I am considering...

- Alpine [email protected] ~$420
- Memphis [email protected] ~$475
- Memphis [email protected] ~$400
- Orion [email protected] ~$340
- Soundstream [email protected] ~$200
- Soudnstream [email protected] ~$200
- Phoenix Gold [email protected] ~$300?

I would really love to get my paws on the PG Xenon 1200 but that is even more difficult to find.

Evan

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I will sell you mine if you want. :) I would prefer to run all Alpine amps because they are Class D, and much easier to conceal than my Memphis. I love the amp, don't get me wrong, TONS of power when needed, no noise, and it doesn't get too hot. I just would rather have the smaller foot print of the Alpine. If/when I have the spare funds to purchase an Alpine pdx-1000, I will probably move the Memphis to my winter ride.

·
Registered
841 Posts
bmw electrical systems can take alot more voltage than other cars. the voltage stays constant most of the time. in my previous cars 1k+ would cause lights to dim real bad even with the big 3, now running at 1500rms on this car, i get SLIGHT dimming without the big 3.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Timmay,

How do you like your Memphis amp? I am mainly concerned about it's efficiency and performance. The MCD1000 is a possibility for me but it is a little more difficult to come by in the marketplace.

Here is the short list of amps I am considering...

- Alpine PDX1.10[email protected] ~$420
- Memphis [email protected] ~$475
- Memphis [email protected] ~$400
- Orion [email protected] ~$340
- Soundstream [email protected] ~$200
- Soudnstream [email protected] ~$200
- Phoenix Gold [email protected] ~$300?

I would really love to get my paws on the PG Xenon 1200 but that is even more difficult to find.

Evan
Just to let you know memphis, orion and soundstream have all went down in quality the past few years. they used to be american built powerhouses. for those prices you can get big power from sundown, zapco, and jl. The old soundstreams REF's were probably some of the best built amps if you can get a hold of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts