BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, OK, you've all collectively convinced me that BMW's oil change interval is too conservative and I plan a 5000 to 7500 mile schedule.

So, before I have to confront the dealer...what happens when your oil changes are out of sync with the green service lights/other service intervals? I assume the lights shouldn't be reset with additional oil changes because of inspection 1 and 2, etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
378 Posts
KevinM said:
OK, OK, you've all collectively convinced me that BMW's oil change interval is too conservative and I plan a 5000 to 7500 mile schedule.

So, before I have to confront the dealer...what happens when your oil changes are out of sync with the green service lights/other service intervals? I assume the lights shouldn't be reset with additional oil changes because of inspection 1 and 2, etc.

Thanks.
I change my oil by the seasons. March 21st and Sept. 21st. I also keep track of the fluid chgange intervals, ie. brake fluid and radiator. I've never had a problem with my SA. I just have them reset the interval. The other inspections are about 30,000 and 60,000 miles. I just have them do a I or II depending on the miles.

To me the most important things are the fluids. Other than that, if the car is running great, I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
You should not reset your service lights for unscheduled oil changes. This will throw off all of your future services. Also, if you have your oil changed after 12 months of use (free and included in the scheduled maintenance) the service lights are not reset -- even by the dealer. Change your oil as often as you want, but do not reset the services lights until they indicate service. Perform the service, including an oil change, and reset the lights when the service they informed you about is performed.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
I change my oil every 5k miles, the dealer does not re-set the lights for un-scheduled oil changes. They do that, as not to throw off the Inspection I & II schedules.

Although, your better off just keeping track by mileage IMHO:)

·
Registered
13,086 Posts
As others have mentioned, do not reset the service light.

In fact, the BMW proceure specifically states that they should not reset it if it is a owner-requested service between 'BMW recommended' services. To be safe, tell them not to reset it.

I'll bet that you can change the oil in less time than it takes to drive to the dealer and come back....

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,036 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I change my oil at about 5-6k which for me is about 2-3 lights (leave them unset), I then wait for the service lights to get close 1 light or no lights left which is 11-12k miles later

As others have suggested it keeps the Oil between services, I and II in sync

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replys!

I would like to learn to change my own oil; maybe I can find someone to help me locally. I don't much like the idea of learning on my M5...

I wish the pictures for the links David provided (thanks!) were still available; any suggestions on viewing them?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.