BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, heres the story...

I was pulled over in Pohatcong New Jersey on i78 back in September for 82 in a 65, which is pretty pathetic on a major roadway like that. I went to court with my attorney yesterday (Mind you, this was a "hick" town near Pennsylvannia with a Judge who looks like Uncle Ben with down syndrome). My lawyer took me into the prosecuters office, and I sat down and talked with the prosecuter and the state trooper that pulled me over. The prosecuter said that since my record was clean (all prior tickets dismissed) the judge might go easy on me, seeing as how i was only facing 2 points. We got back into the court room, and the judge says "No, 82 in a 65, thats way to fast, and you failed to keep right... If your record has the slightest thing on it, I'm taking your liscence."
I didnt really care, I knew me record was clean up til now. However, he saw it, and said "No, no no no. I'm taking your licence anyway." This douche wanted to suspend it after only 2 points!!! I told him flat out "Your honor, i cant lose my licence because i commute to school every day 5 days a week, work on weekends, and will be interning at a hospital for winter break." Then he tells me "Sell your car and I might spare your licence." I wanted to beat the crap out of this guy! Afterwards, the trooper that pulled me over walked out with my attorney and I. He told me flat out, "Listen, you're a nice kid, very proper and respectful. I was only giving you a hard time that nite i pulled you over cuz i was tryin to scare you into driving slower." From day 1 i told my lawyer to take my word that the cop didnt radar me. Even the night that he pulled me over, he couldnt tell me what he used to radar me, because HE DIDNT RADAR ME!!! Since my lawyer requested the radar discovery 3 times, and each time they didnt present it, he might try to get it dismissed in 45 days...

My question to you Jersey guys is this... Are there any defensive driving schools or courses that i can take, that are renowned or reputable, so that i can present that to the judge on my next court date? I brought the idea up to my attorney, and he told me that it wouldnt hurt to try it. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what i can present to the judge? I've already got a copy of my college transcript, with a 3.8 cumulative GPA and letters that say im on the Presidents List because of my high gpa. Thanks!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Vendor
619 Posts
-rant on-

I am shocked and amazed at your story. 17 over on a highway is nothing, especially on I-78. This is the kind of thing that really brings home the point that the "traffic safety" system is all a money-making scam without any legitimate attention to safety. If they were really interested in safety, they'd put drunk checkpoints outside of every bar parking lot.

- rant off-

There is "traffic school" that you can go to which knocks a couple of points off your license... but you cannot take it pre-emptively to get a "credit". For example, if you have zero points, you don't get any benefit. Once that judge (lower-case "J", no respect for a civil servant who is neither civil nor providing a service) gives you the points, then you can have them removed with the school.

However, note that the point removal is only for your license total, not your insurance total. The points remain for the NJ insurance company to ding you just as if you had not gone to school. The point removal is valuable for people with almost enough points to lose their license, gives them some breathing room.

You can still (or could have) used it as a bargaining point, promising the judge that you would go to the school if he did not mug you.

"Sell your car"... unbelievable...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly what my lawyer said. He works for Fusco and Macaluso (a top notch law firm that had gotten Mike Tyson his boxing licence back) and he told me that he defended people against murder charges and assault on police officers, and had never seen a judge as bad as this one. He flat out told the judge "This is amazing your honor, drunk drivers get off with less of a punishment than this." Now, my lawyer has much experience, and works with some of the top and highest paid attorneys in NJ, and he said that he will speak with them and try to figure out a way to get me out of this ticket...

Yesterday, my lawyer got a letter from the trooper that pulled me over, and recieved a radar callibration, but no discovery. This is the 4th time that they did not present us with proof of what the radar read on the night i was pulled over. My lawyer didnt tell me when the radar was last callibrated, but he will look into how often a callibration must take place, and see if we can get the ticket dismissed on those grounds.

Also, i have registered for a saturday course at a community college in my area that lasts 6 hrs, and i recieve a certificate afterwards that says i have completed the course.

Next time I will be up at the Pohatcong Township Municipal Court, i will take a few pictures so that you can all have a good laugh hiha .

·
Registered
109 Posts
I thought you need 12 points before you lose your license or a DWI. How can he take it away with one ticket? Do judges have this power? I am sorry there is nothing I can add to help your situation. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Would you believe me if I said............

There are parts/sections of western New Jersey (close to the PA border)
that are very similar to "DUKES OF HAZZARD" Land ! Good-Ol boyz roaming around, both residents and town officials. Some of these men look just like the "Z Z TOP" musicians. Scary sight and even worse if you have to speak with them. They size you up and if they detect your a "city boy" they'll give you the evil eye stare!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Again....... Im talking about New Jersey of all places, neighbor to the big city, New York !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts