BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
You guys lost me! So the getrag 280 (which is in my '91) is not rebuildable?!
My understanding was that the 265 was compatible with the 280 as a replacement for it. It looks like metric mechanic only offers the 265 which they indicate is the replacement for the 280.
But then again, metric mechanic seems like a tough outfit to get a hold of.
Both the 265 and 280 are rebuildable and BMW is a source for the internal parts(if they are not on backorder).
The 265 has a lower 1st and 2nd gear than the 280 and is better used on M5's with the 3.73:1 LSD as I don't think the M5 with 3.91 can really use a lower 1st & 2nd gear.
However, in any even the 265 has a bigger gearing gap between 3rd & 4th than the 280 which is what an individual that I know didn't like about the 265 transmission inadvertently swapped by an indy into his E24/M6.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sorry for the late response. So if I opt to go the metric mechanic route and get the rebuilt 265 conversion, I'm going to need a different drive shaft??
If so, that's awfully disappointing as the tranny on its own costs $4495 from MM!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
165 Posts
You might want to give M.M. a call on that question. When I was looking to get my car on the road I'm pretty sure their conversion accounted for the length and there was no drive shaft issues. You'd think for that kind of $ everything would bolt right up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The MM kit doesn't need any mode to the drive shaft as far as I know, check with them but I'm 99% sure it doesn't.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wanted to post here as well and let you guys one I dropped the met on the 265 conversion kit from MM. Talked with Jim and he said everything bolts right up. There are some mods done to the guibo Whig ships with the kit, that paves the way for no drive shaft changes to be made.

I'll post more as I know more! Really looking forward to getting this tranny in!

·
10,442 Posts
if you want to start a new thread i can try to move some of these posts, as it's a bit confusing to have this in the "parts for sale belong...." thread!

·
Registered
39 Posts
There should be a dedicated board.
can you point me? :)

I am not sure if anyone could share a US registration for a 94 or 95 M5 so I can order some parts from the stealership; I don't buy from Canada since everything is double and triple the price.
I can't order straight these parts from the US coz they're locked on the system

·
Registered
62 Posts
can you point me? :)

I am not sure if anyone could share a US registration for a 94 or 95 M5 so I can order some parts from the stealership; I don't buy from Canada since everything is double and triple the price.
I can't order straight these parts from the US coz they're locked on the system
There SHOULD be... but there isn't.

Try buying from FCPEuro or somewhere else online. Will be cheaper than either dealership and it will be the same parts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
here's when I try searching for a euro parts; just useless as expected

Product Details
This product has been identified to fit European applications only and is NOT available for FCP to order within the USA. Listing is for reference only.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Many of us here in Iceland ,,, use BMW of south-atlanta,,, pelicanparts,, rockauto ,,etc etc

the best way of ordering parts,, IMO is using ............ realoem.com click enter,, then archive,, E34,, sedan or touring,, US or EU model

i like the IMAGE ,, switch... not text

many things in these cars are almost the same,,,,,,,,,,,,, or the same

for 3.8 M5 .. or 525ix i guess there are some parts that you cant get stock from US dealers..

·
10,442 Posts
There SHOULD be... but there isn't.
There is. If you read thru this thread you're posting in, you'd see we agreed to use this as the for sale page:

M5 E34 Group Buy Forum and Sponsor Discussion and Offerings - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums

There's also this one:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/parts-other-sale-wanted/

But since that is for all generations, e34 parts can get lost in there. That's why we asked, and were allowed to you the group buy forum as a for sale forum (since there really aren't many Group Buy's going on for the e34)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
121 - 140 of 162 Posts
About this Discussion
161 Replies
53 Participants
airkhin
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing