BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thank you very much for your response!
Ive sent Metric Mechanic an e-mail and will hopefully hear back from them. $4400 looks like the price tag, which is expensive, but not unreasonable all things considered. The replacement they offer for the 280 is a Getrag 265. Thoughts?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The 280's seem to be a bit more problematic. The 265 for what I've heard is their speciality and they remanufacture parts above original spec. I think if my 280 ever gives out I'll go for a 420 and get the 6-speed.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The more I hear about the 420, the more i want one too...
I wonder how much more of a pain in the arse they are to do that conversion. I ask because I would have the tranny put in at a shop, rather than be doing it myself.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The more I hear about the 420, the more i want one too...
I wonder how much more of a pain in the arse they are to do that conversion. I ask because I would have the tranny put in at a shop, rather than be doing it myself.
Bell housings can be swapped with no mods, you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Are we talking about putting the transmission in? Because something tells me that's out of my scope. I mean, I can turn a wrench, but I've never even thought about touching something like that....
If I knew someone who'd done one and could walk me through it I would certainly feel a lot more comfortable!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
62 Posts
Are we talking about putting the transmission in? Because something tells me that's out of my scope. I mean, I can turn a wrench, but I've never even thought about touching something like that....
If I knew someone who'd done one and could walk me through it I would certainly feel a lot more comfortable!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
That's all good. If you don't have have a way to safely lift the car high enough and pull the trans out probably best taking it to someone. If you don't confident going in to doing a job, it's best not to do it.

It's a straight forward process just awkward and lot of work if doing it in your driveway.

Don't forget to do your clutch, flywheel and flexplate while your in there. :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'll defintley try Turner Motor Sports. Been pleased with them in the past. Have you ever been I touch with Metric Mechanic? I tried to get a hold of them regarding a 265 Getrag, but haven't heard a peep back...

·
Registered
482 Posts
The 540 I believe also used the 540 if you happen to see any going cheap.

Or fully rebuild and solid;

Metric Mechanic Inc – BMW Performance Drivetrain Rebuilds | metricmechanic.com

Yep! the V8, 6-speed is cheap and plentiful but that is not what you need.
The I6, 6-speed is rare as hens teeth since they were only on the M5 for the 1995 Euro last production year.
The V8 & I6 transmissions are not interchangeable because the transmission has an integrated bell housing and the engine bolt patterns are different.
That I am aware neither is rebuildable, as BMW/Getrag don't offer internal parts so the only options are used and new.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You guys lost me! So the getrag 280 (which is in my '91) is not rebuildable?!
My understanding was that the 265 was compatible with the 280 as a replacement for it. It looks like metric mechanic only offers the 265 which they indicate is the replacement for the 280.
But then again, metric mechanic seems like a tough outfit to get a hold of.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Is there new available? Real oem shows only rmfd, are those good as original was ~20 years ago?

EDIT: Oh, you were talking about 6 speed s38 trans?

Yep! S6S 420G is a Getrag 6-speed use behind the V8(M60/M62) and I6(S38B35 & S54B32 etc.).
The V8 & I6 (also, I6 engine variants i.e. S38 & S54) bell housings are incompatible and integral to the transmission and that I am aware has never had internal parts available.
BMW is the only source for new transmissions.
The 265, 280 and 420 is an input torque designation

101 - 120 of 162 Posts