BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
For sale is a custom designed and built controller that interfaces with the E60/E63's K-Can bus to read the status of the M-Mode, and allows throttle and RPM depended triggering of an exhaust valve.

I built this unit while developing my own custom exhaust controller. However, unlike the one in my car, the switching thresholds are user variable via four dials built into the controller. The throttle and RPM thresholds are set independently for M-Mode on and off. For example, the thresholds may be set such that with M-Mode off, the exhaust does not open until the throttle has reached 50% and the engine speed is greater than 4500 RPM, while in M-Mode the exhaust is open under all conditions.
In summary, this controller allows you to not only trigger your exhaust through a push of the factory M-button, but also allows you to dial in some OEM like smarts into your exhaust switching.

The controller requires wiring into a ground and 12V source, as well as tapping into the K-Can can-bus lines. It is designed to sit in the unused space adjacent to the battery, which also allows easy tapping into the adjacent K-Can wires leading to the PDC.
The controller outputs a constant 12V until the thresholds are reached - this may or may not require inversion through a relay, depending on your exhaust setup. I have set it up this way, as this is how my particular valved exhaust operates; requiring 12V to keep open the vacuum solenoid for it to remain quiet. My understanding is that this is how most valves, and BMWs OEM systems also work.

I am asking US$500 or best offer

The actual unit mounted in my car for testing:

The controller, showing the engine speed and throttle percentage threshold adjustment knobs for both M Mode active and deactive, as well as the wiring. A plug will be provided so you can make your own wiring harness, however the wires are as follows:
Black -- Can High
Yellow -- Can Low
Red -- +12V Supply
Brown -- Ground
Orange -- Switched output to power for example a solenoid (+12V when below threshold, 0V when above threshold

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump - make an offer, this is useless sitting in my workshop.
Will make an invaluable addition to any valved exhaust and/or cutout.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts