BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am completing an engine and transmission swap into my 2006 BMW M5 E60 S85. Blown engine and transmission has 150K miles. Donor engine and transmission from a 2010 M5. I listed the blown engine and complete working transmission with a 35K mile clutch for sale as a complete assembly on eBay and on Craigslist for $4K. Several inquires and 'watchers' but no buyers. So now time to part out.

The parts includes but are not limited to:
  • Long Block (right side cylinder failed and threw a chunk of metal (piece of piston?) up into the intake valve) (2006)
  • Complete SMG Transmission (2006)
  • Clutch Assembly (35K miles)
  • All accessories (2006)
  • ECU (2010)
  • Engine Wire Harness (2010)
  • Transmission Wire Harness (2006)
  • Intake Manifolds (2006)
  • Exhaust Manifolds (2010)
  • Exhaust for the front end of the car (2010)
  • Etc.

Instead of listing each part with details, I will field questions about specific parts on an add needed basis. My responses to include pictures. Local pickup available in Denver, CO. I will provided shipping quotes to all others. Thank you.

Henry

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was blown by the previous owner of the car. I believe he was running NOS fuel to the engine when it happened. The oil pan has an hole in it from the engine failure. There must have been an explosion in the engine because the right/passenger side air intake was charred. I have not removed the oil pan nor have I inspected the damage very closely yet. But I can tell you that there is a chunk of metal above the valves, looking down the 2nd from front throttle body on the right/passenger side. It looks like one of the valves is bent. Perhaps the metal chunk is the damaged valve. I am not sure which piston # that is. Let me know if there is anything you want me to look for. Thank you.

Henry

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was not planning on parting out the SMG transmission because it is a working unit. Plus I did the stud swap on it already so that the slave cylinder can be replaced without lowering the transmission. But if no takers after a period I would consider it. How immediate is your need? What is the Clutch Position Sensor part #?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kevin,

Thank you for the inquiry. The oil pan has a hole in it. When the engine was blown, either the pressue of the NOS fuel backfiring or a piston rod that went amiss punched a big hole right through the bottom of the oil pan. Sorry. And sorry for delay in responding. Work gets in the way of my car fun.

Henry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any chance the engine is rebuildable or pretty much toast? I am looking for one for a project. Probably will need to be drysumped.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My guess is that it is not. But I have not have time to inspect it yet. Likely the cylinder wall is damaged and the valve too. My plan is to remove the oil pan and inspect it. I just do not have a time frame yet. Sorry I do not have more answers now.

Henry

·
Registered
26 Posts
Kevin,

Thank you for the inquiry. The oil pan has a hole in it. When the engine was blown, either the pressue of the NOS fuel backfiring or a piston rod that went amiss punched a big hole right through the bottom of the oil pan. Sorry. And sorry for delay in responding. Work gets in the way of my car fun.

Henry
Henry, no ploblem! Thanks for you reply!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Henry,

I may be interested in the engine if only to use as a mock up even if not rebuild-able. I'm looking to use one in a project car. Engine and external bits etc. I will be using a different transmission that I already have. No rush on any of this.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
68 Posts
How does the transmission wire harness look; any broken insulation or connectors? Price? Willing to separate the SMG hydraulic shift solenoid assembly (mounted on top)?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Did it ever have any smg parts replaced with new ones ... such as slave cylinder, smg hydraulic motor, clutch position sensor, or anything like that? What about ignition coils?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is ECU still available? Mine is toast and looking for a reasonably priced replacement.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How does the transmission wire harness look; any broken insulation or connectors? Price? Willing to separate the SMG hydraulic shift solenoid assembly (mounted on top)?
Sorry for slow reply.

The transmission wire harness is in good shape. The skinny 2-pin connector that plugs in the front of the transmission is in bad shape though. If that connector on your current transmission wire harness is in good shape you could swap it over.

I noticed one of the other connectors between the 2006 and the 2010 versions are slightly different. What your transmission is yours?

Henry

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did it ever have any smg parts replaced with new ones ... such as slave cylinder, smg hydraulic motor, clutch position sensor, or anything like that? What about ignition coils?
Sorry for slow reply.

I do not know the age of the individual transmission parts. But I was assured by the previous owner that the transmission is in good working order. He swapped in this replacement transmission 34K miles ago and installed a new clutch at the same time. I do not think I will part out the components of the transmission but will likely sell it all as one.

I do have some spare ignition coils. How many do you want?

Henry

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is ECU still available? Mine is toast and looking for a reasonably priced replacement.
Sorry for slow reply.

The ECU is still available. It is from the donor vehicle which is a 2010 BMW E60 M5. The 2010 ECU has a tune from Fast Attack Motor Sports. What year is your BMW E60 M5?

Henry

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Henry,

I may be interested in the engine if only to use as a mock up even if not rebuild-able. I'm looking to use one in a project car. Engine and external bits etc. I will be using a different transmission that I already have. No rush on any of this.

Thanks,

Dave
Sorry for slow reply.

That could work. The transmission is a known good transmission. I should probably sell that separate from the blown engine.

Where are you located? Pickup or ship? I am in Denver.

Henry

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am in northern Utah. There is a chance I could get over there. 8f not it might have to ship. I do have a commercial dock it can go to. Zip 84318

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JPNDave,

It may be best if we email to discuss specifics. I want to make sure you know the condition before we finalize terms of sale.

Henry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts