BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fair disclosure... I have headers on my car. The family and I went to visit a friend for dinner over the weekend and left about 9 pm. I got the following email from my friend early the next morning.

Heh, heh. Got this email from my next door neighbor, who is a car buff, right after you left. Thought you would appreciate it.

--------------------------------

To: Ryan
Subject: Holy m5 batman!
Sent: Sun, Feb 27, 2011 6:02:33 AM

The exhaust on that thing literally gave me goosebumps!

What does that car have done to it? So Awesome!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Nice! As if you didn't know ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, my fuel bill is a testament to what I think of the sound :deal:

It was however nice to see that not only did my car wake this guy up, but he actually ran downstairs and sent an email asking what had been done to the exhaust. Pretty impressive considering I was cruising next to a CHP a few days ago and he didn't even give me a second look. Rumbly enough to wake the neighbors, quiet enough to keep the po-po off my back. Talk about range!

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
but he actually ran downstairs and sent an email asking what had been done to the exhaust.
According to the email, he did that the next morning.

·
Registered
145 Posts
When the muffler is deleted does the fuel consumption get worse than it already is, what if you fit an x pipe same effect ie lower mpg?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
When the muffler is deleted does the fuel consumption get worse than it already is, what if you fit an x pipe same effect ie lower mpg?
No what hes saying is that he loves the sound when he "gives it the beans" so much that he does it all the time, therefore reducing his MPG's cause hes into the RPM's so hard and high.

Reactions: lothar and harry d

·
Registered
9,355 Posts

If your fuel economy is bad, then have your car checked. A healthy M5 should be doing mid 20s cruising on the highway (MPGs, that is). Adjusted to European MPG, it might even be upper 20s.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, if fuel consumption is the same that's ok.

I get around 14mpg around town and about 27mpg or so on the highway is that normal?

·
Registered
194 Posts
If your fuel economy is bad, then have your car checked. A healthy M5 should be doing mid 20s cruising on the highway (MPGs, that is). Adjusted to European MPG, it might even be upper 20s.
What speed do you have to travel at to get only 20 mpg? When I took it for a road trip, I got about 25 mpg and I think I could've gotten even better if I had stayed on the highway the whole time...I was driving around 70 the whole time though. Just wondering. ;)

Ryan

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
What speed do you have to travel at to get only 20 mpg? When I took it for a road trip, I got about 25 mpg and I think I could've gotten even better if I had stayed on the highway the whole time...I was driving around 70 the whole time though. Just wondering. ;)

Ryan
If it's mixed driving, then it'll drop. During a month, my average speed was 47mph. I commute 30 miles one way and rarely drop below 60 on the highway (which is where I spend most of the commute). At night, sometimes I like to stay in the lower gears and do some sprints. At the end of the month, though, my average MPG (according to the OBD) was 21.4.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If it's mixed driving, then it'll drop. During a month, my average speed was 47mph. I commute 30 miles one way and rarely drop below 60 on the highway (which is where I spend most of the commute). At night, sometimes I like to stay in the lower gears and do some sprints. At the end of the month, though, my average MPG (according to the OBD) was 21.4.
Oh, I see. I thought you were meaning on a straight highway run you were only getting about 20 mpg. If it's mixed driving, I totally understand getting that. Most of the time I'm in town or not driving easily, and I usually get around 16 mpg. Sorry about that!

Ryan

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Oh, I see. I thought you were meaning on a straight highway run you were only getting about 20 mpg. If it's mixed driving, I totally understand getting that. Most of the time I'm in town or not driving easily, and I usually get around 16 mpg. Sorry about that!

Ryan

Oh, I see. I said mid 20s as in 25 or so, not 20.5 hiha

·
Registered
567 Posts
I understand the neighbor's reaction! I have the Timmay tips and once had a neighbor run out and say "Wow, I can't believe that BMW sounds like NASCAR!". Direct quote, I took it as a compliment. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I actually think the delete saves me gas as I don't want to be d*ck in residential neighborhoods so I keep the revs low most of the time. I think it's my Canadian politeness, lol.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Here is my car with SS Headers + Timmay Tips. Amazing is an understatement....it was good before, but the headers are a whole new ball game. Video really does no justice.

It seems like it cracks quite a bit more...I definitely want that! :hihi: Pretty slick! Need some full rpm runs now... :M5launch:

Ryan

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
It seems like it cracks quite a bit more...I definitely want that! :hihi: Pretty slick! Need some full rpm runs now... :M5launch:

Ryan

They are on the way I promise. It's been raining here all week. That is a great camera angle for dry weather but when it's wet the noise is unbearable.

It definitely cracks a bit more, but I also am still waiting to upload my powerchip tune so it's a bit lean now and cracking more than usual. I don't mind it though :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
They are on the way I promise. It's been raining here all week. That is a great camera angle for dry weather but when it's wet the noise is unbearable.

It definitely cracks a bit more, but I also am still waiting to upload my powerchip tune so it's a bit lean now and cracking more than usual. I don't mind it though :D
Yeah...I'd wait til it quits raining and definitely not beat on it if it's running lean...but AFTER all of that... :hihi: That would sound sick at the top end...

Ryan

1 - 20 of 31 Posts