BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is due at the end of January so I am looking at car seats for the M5. Looks like the Britax is pretty good but was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a unit or a comment about a car seat not to get. I have found a few good units using consumer reports but wanted to see if there was any advice from M5 owners.

Thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm in the same boat, er car. I was looking at seats for our pending arrival in early December. Which year is your car? It may help answer your question as I believe the newer ones have the attachment points for LATCH. Probably best to check. It seems the LATCH equiped seats position the most securely.

Neither of our BMWs has the LATCH attachments, so we have to use the belt. After a trip to Babys-R-Us and messing around for hours, and reading baby bargains, I think the best solution is the Baby-trends Latch-loc Adjustable back infant seat (supports both LATCH and belt). It was also the top rated in Baby Bargains. According to the book, they expect the Britex to be good, but was too late for their review. The Britex is ~$200, the Baby-Trends is $90 and an extra $40 for an additional base (1 in each car!).

Good luck!

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
When you baby is little (less than a year) you need a group 0+ seat. As they grow you need to get bigger seats.

For the wee one we have a Klippan seat which is very comfortable and doubles as a carrier (folding handle).

For the bigger one, we have found the BMW Williams seat to be excellent (available from your dealer) - here's a photo:

Recaro do some excellent seats as well. Try not to get the BMW Group 0 seat with all the "scaffolding".

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have three kids and went with the Britax Roundabout for each of them. It has a 5-point belt system. It is a convertible seat which means it can be installed either rear or forward facing. I used this seat until my oldest was ready for a booster seat and then went with the Recaro.

If you have a 2002 or later model definitely get the seat with the LATCH belt. It makes installing the seat much easier and the seat fits more securely.

·
Registered
463 Posts
3 kids here, ages 7 to 1, and we've found the Britax seats to be the best among the several ones we've tried. We've usually had 2 cars outfitted with seats, so we've tried a few.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the 2001, with a Britax roundabout. 2 kids and 2 roundabouts. Use the tethers in the rear of the deck and that seat will never move! You can't go wrong with the britax. solidly built and easy to remove when you need to clean up the seats for maintenance.

My .02

·
10,445 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
When you baby is little (less than a year) you need a group 0+ seat. As they grow you need to get bigger seats.

For the wee one we have a Klippan seat which is very comfortable and doubles as a carrier (folding handle).

For the bigger one, we have found the BMW Williams seat to be excellent (available from your dealer) - here's a photo:
Recaro do some excellent seats as well. Try not to get the BMW Group 0 seat with all the "scaffolding".
Unfortunately, (at least last i checked) bmw was not importing child seats to the US, probably for liability reasons.
I'll throw in another vote for the britax units, we've had a few of those over the years, the fit the bmws well and have been durable and safe. My 5 year old is currently using a black recarro, which not only looks great, but is very supportive and adjustable.
Mike

·
10,445 Posts
Osodog said:
I have a 2001, and have been looking at the Graco and Britax makes. I am leaning towards an infant seat rather than a convertible, but this is just based on feedback from some friends and not any sort of research.
By infant seat, do you mean those carrier things, with the base that stays in the car? I'd definitely suggest you go that route. Really simplifies things when the baby is sleeping, and you want to get out of the car to go in a restaurant, for instance. After 20lbs, you can switch to a convertible seat.
Mike

·
Registered
172 Posts
Good point. That is a life saver too. You want to keep the little ones asleep as long as possible. We used the Grace with the belts - not as solid as the Britax - but works.

Another great reason for our cars - ultimate baby rocking cradle - excellent way to put a crying baby to sleep!hiha

mottati said:
By infant seat, do you mean those carrier things, with the base that stays in the car? I'd definitely suggest you go that route. Really simplifies things when the baby is sleeping, and you want to get out of the car to go in a restaurant, for instance. After 20lbs, you can switch to a convertible seat.
Mike

·
10,445 Posts
speedmonkee said:
Another great reason for our cars - ultimate baby rocking cradle - excellent way to put a crying baby to sleep!hiha
Too True! No better way to take the edge off a stressful baby night that strap him in the car seat and take a nice drive... I think this must be why my oldest son is into cars... (8 y/o now) Those midnight drives in my 325i of that time...
Mike

Edit: proud father momen, can't resist a pic, about 2 yrs ago at (then called) sears point.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
As an attorney who has represented several families which have suffered tragic losses due to design defects in childrens' car seats, I would strongly advise using Britax car seats. It has been my experience that these are the best constructed and tested seats available. They are a bit heavier than other brands and more expensive than many, however, at the risk of unintentionally insulting others, you are driving an expensive car and if an extra $100.00 for a top of the line car seat is difficult, I suggest downgrading your car vs. downgrading your car seat.

Just my opinion,
TexasM5

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Osodog said:
My wife is due at the end of January so I am looking at car seats for the M5. Looks like the Britax is pretty good but was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a unit or a comment about a car seat not to get. I have found a few good units using consumer reports but wanted to see if there was any advice from M5 owners.

Thanks.
I have the Evenflo Comfort Touch Triumph baby seat in the M5, which seems like a great car seat and was very reasonably priced. I did the internet research, and liked what I saw.

In my wife's Cayenne S, we have the Britax Marathon, which is a very large seat, and, in my opinion, not as great or supportive for a younger, small child. The Marathon is designed to accomodate a larger range of sizes. The Roundabout is probably a great size for the M5, and I would guess similar in size to the Evenflo.

I just received my recall belt adjuster part for the Marathon, and I'm going to install it right now.

Congrats on the new addition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts