BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am one of BMW and ///M owners and lovers and interested more than any cars make and i am always with hard and long discussions with my friends that love american , japanes and mercedes-benz cars they are said mercedes and american cars are better from BMW cause they produced a super cars and BMW only have the m6 its doesnt fast enough for supercars i said bmw will produce the M1 they said it is not good too it is six cylinders turbo 450 hp only 0-100 in 4.0 sec not as the other supercars i said BMW was produced the maclaren F1 engine with more than 600 hp 0-100 in 3.1 and that was in 90s they said BMW not good in formula 1 now.........i mean i wanna tell them that BMW engines is best engines in the world and they take the engines of the year in differant categories i read this at this link International Engine of the Year Awards 2008
now the question that i dont have an answer to it that (if BMW is good as u say why they dont produce a supercar as mercedes maclaren SLR , merceds DTM and Black series or ford GT and porsche carrera GT.....?) please help me BMW pepole what i have to say to let these dogs stop barking

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
BMW produces extremely capable cars for all conditions. Have they tried driving any of the AMG cars fast? in control? I don't think so. BMW does what it does well. It knows Porsche produces great track cars, Ferrari produces emotional cars.
Some battles can't be won.

Reactions: Terabass

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Humm ...

I didn't buy my car for what others would think ... I bought it for ME. I bought it for comfort, performance, handling, high speed cruising, decent gas mileage, good looks, and RELIABILITY.

You will never win an argument with folks like those, get over it. You have the best all around car ever manufactured. Hands down. Enjoy it. Go out and drive it fast.

·
Registered
188 Posts
M-Division has been around for decades.. so much history and hand craftsmanship and CLASS. American cars have ZERO class. Would you rather take your date out in an Evo or a BMW M5.. you get my point..

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Usually such people have no idea what they're talking about or the extent of their knowledge is gained solely from magazines. The easiest response is to ask them if they've driven or owned each marque such that they have personal knowledge. If the answer is no, then tell them they know not what they're talking about until they have done this. Tell them once they have driven BMW Ms against the AMG and other competition, they will not appreciate how much better the BMWs are compared to the others. I've driven AMGs and Aston Martins, for example, and really the Ms have much better handling and road feel, and yet also ride much better. AMGs ride like trucks and skip across bumpy turns. Astons ride more harshly yet do not handle any better. Porsche 911s are better, but they're more single purpose as they have no real rear passenger room or trunks. You can spend a lot more money, like for an Aston, and not get much more for it other than exclusivity.

·
Registered
32 Posts
To answer your question as to why BMW doesn't currently market an expensive "supercar", I believe it's because that's not the direction cars are heading anymore.
From the way I see it, the point of a supercar is for it to be the quintessential vehicle, no other car can ever perform like it.
But that leads to the question of what defines performance. Is it the wheels? the brakes? the engine? the suspension?
Performance can only be determined by individual preference. Some people like to go the fastest in a straight line, some people like to go the most comfortable in a straight line, regardless of how fast they get there.

So the problem BMW faces if they were to focus on a supercar, what would make it stand out in terms of performance, because that is the only point of a supercar.
We know BMW can make a car faster and handle better than any other car out there, but we also know that mercedes and audi are capable of eventually improving on that car.

Instead of working on improving the current car market, I believe BMW is instead working on innovating the current car market.
The concept BMW Gina is a perfect example of innovation that the new supercars will most likely imitate.

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,243 Posts
Ferrari has a soul to it. Can't beat it. I said and my friend who has an M6 said the same thing

BMW produces extremely capable cars for all conditions. Have they tried driving any of the AMG cars fast? in control? I don't think so. BMW does what it does well. It knows Porsche produces great track cars, Ferrari produces emotional cars.
Some battles can't be won.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
The premise of the discussion is flawed.

What is "BEST"???

It is a silly concept which has no concrete meaning... and arguing with friends and others over 'best' is, to me, strange.

A

·
Registered
61 Posts
The premise of the discussion is flawed.

What is "BEST"???

It is a silly concept which has no concrete meaning... and arguing with friends and others over 'best' is, to me, strange.

A
Exactly. EVERY car being driven right now is the BEST car for that person right now. Otherwise they would be driving something else. People are so different that there is a never-ending list of parameters for what defines 'best'.

There is no one best car, or car manufacturer. If there was that would be the only car or brand you would ever see, because all the others would go out of business.

Personally, In a perfect world, I would rather get a Vette. But they are too wide, the insurance is too expensive, the cops are on the lookout for them, the interior is sub-par, and the steerage committee would probably nix the transaction.

Therefore, a four-door saloon that runs like a Vette becomes the 'best' option. Ergo, the 2001-2003 M5 (because of, umm, cosmetic issues, with the newer ones)

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Exactly. EVERY car being driven right now is the BEST car for that person right now. Otherwise they would be driving something else. People are so different that there is a never-ending list of parameters for what defines 'best'.

There is no one best car, or car manufacturer. If there was that would be the only car or brand you would ever see, because all the others would go out of business.

Personally, In a perfect world, I would rather get a Vette. But they are too wide, the insurance is too expensive, the cops are on the lookout for them, the interior is sub-par, and the steerage committee would probably nix the transaction.

Therefore, a four-door saloon that runs like a Vette becomes the 'best' option. Ergo, the 2001-2003 M5 (because of, umm, cosmetic issues, with the newer ones)
Well stated:wroom:

·
Registered
36 Posts
would you not consider the 850csi a supercar? I've look at many cars and dream about owning the burgatti veryron, the mclaren f1. But who could afford the insurance as well as the up keep $25000 for brakes come on. But my wife and I went to Bmw dealership. Sat in the 09 M5 started it I look at my wife and I see a ticket in my future.She not asport car person. But now she wants it as bad as I do

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
BMW 850 CSi is a classic, but as much as it is a true BMW M classic the V10 M5 is better in almost or all respects. except 4 wheels terring ;)

would you not consider the 850csi a supercar? I've look at many cars and dream about owning the burgatti veryron, the mclaren f1. But who could afford the insurance as well as the up keep $25000 for brakes come on. But my wife and I went to Bmw dealership. Sat in the 09 M5 started it I look at my wife and I see a ticket in my future.She not asport car person. But now she wants it as bad as I do

1 - 13 of 13 Posts