BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The s85 would respond to boost extremely well, even in totally stock form. High reving high volumetric efficiency motors can get some amazing numbers. There are tons of 500-600whp Hondas running around with completely stock engines. A "street" turbo kit on a Honda S2000 makes 400whp easily on pump gas at low boost.

But yeah, the space. I'm sure with some cutting, welding, and work, you could make it work. If I wasn't afraid to cut the hell out of my car and had an extra M5 worth of money burning a hole in my pocket I'd turbo my M5 in a heartbeat!

Turbo S85 V10 in that upside down country, sounds amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myrep2aIgbw
Okay, honda's engine is less complicated and a LOT more reliable.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good luck and I hope it works out but I am afraid that the transmission and clutch will take a beating as the turbos come online. Add a cramped installation into a 8800 unit total production car that has very high compression and complicated engine management? Sounds like a car that will make great horsepower occasionally, require constant attention and spend most of the time waiting on rebuilds, parts, better parts or money for parts. I would love to be wrong. This car is beautiful in NA form, much like a Ferrari is. I want more power like everyone here does and looked at superchargers. I didn't buy one after going back and forth- I really felt like the power from a blower seemed finicky at times and several people with them told me they wouldn't do it again. The turbo option is going to be even tougher.

Just speaking from experience:

1991 Galant VR4 (640 hp way back in 1999)
1991 GMC Syclone
EVO IV
R32 GT-R
2000 Suzuki turbo Hayabusa (278 whp)
2002 Audi TT

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
There is absolutely no way I would put that car in a turn with that kluge of a reinforcement plate. There is absolute zero triangulation on that. I hope that's either a temporary brace or a prototype.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts