BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
That VS car is nowhere near what we could do with a street driven car, spoke to them guys years ago and they told me this is not just a normal bolt on package for an S85.

Vids been around for years.
It's a 4.8 litre highly modified monster. Still, that thing is 1800hp. I think a rod/piston everything else stock s85 could easily make 900hp though without problems!

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
It's a 4.8 litre highly modified monster. Still, that thing is 1800hp. I think a rod/piston everything else stock s85 could easily make 900hp though without problems!
Anything can make 900hp for a short period of time but to do it right then you do need to build the engine. Heck I am pushing over 840hp to the crank so I know it can handle more but planning ahead for longevity is the key.

·
Registered
258 Posts
This motor can handle more than what people think. People are just paranoid and I don't blame them. You can make a twin turbo kit for this car if you can make a supercharger kit, **** you can make it single turbo and be good. Twin is just preference as a big single can do just as much hp depending on size of turbo.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Anything can make 900hp for a short period of time but to do it right then you do need to build the engine. Heck I am pushing over 840hp to the crank so I know it can handle more but planning ahead for longevity is the key.
840hp!!! o_O wowzers!!!

:flag:

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
This motor can handle more than what people think. People are just paranoid and I don't blame them. You can make a twin turbo kit for this car if you can make a supercharger kit, **** you can make it single turbo and be good. Twin is just preference as a big single can do just as much hp depending on size of turbo.
There are guys in Russia who run high hp on their M5 / M6 but they have told me that after a year they have to replace their engines. Some are actually on their 3rd engine, that maybe fine for some but many on this forum are not of that mindset.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Going for 1000 hp on a daily driven M5 ;)

ACG I commend you on your build. Its truly one of a kind. Love to hear you thoughts and/or concerns on putting that kind of power to the ground. Widebody and wing?

I have started my research for big power, stroker, supercharger, stroker and supercharger, internal upgrade and supercharger and now the talk of a TT setup (most appealing). I keep going back and forth on whether the money is better spent on making power on another chassis (P car, GTR, yada yada...) I LOVE the S85, that is the reason I bought this car however in my search for a good example of a E60 M5 (I feel I did pretty good) I neglected to look at what comes after when I get board with the BMW provided power. Its not that I don't have a bit of scratch to put in, its mostly what that scratch gets you... 15 large for under a 30% increase in power is lackluster at best. Maybe I'm just jealous of the E90 guys getting more attention by the tuners due to a better market. I can not blame the tuners as it is business.

Bit of a ramble here. I am just curious about the thought process of those who are dedicated to moving this platform forward whether for business or personal reasons.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
ACG I commend you on your build. Its truly one of a kind. Love to hear you thoughts and/or concerns on putting that kind of power to the ground. Widebody and wing?

I have started my research for big power, stroker, supercharger, stroker and supercharger, internal upgrade and supercharger and now the talk of a TT setup (most appealing). I keep going back and forth on whether the money is better spent on making power on another chassis (P car, GTR, yada yada...) I LOVE the S85, that is the reason I bought this car however in my search for a good example of a E60 M5 (I feel I did pretty good) I neglected to look at what comes after when I get board with the BMW provided power. Its not that I don't have a bit of scratch to put in, its mostly what that scratch gets you... 15 large for under a 30% increase in power is lackluster at best. Maybe I'm just jealous of the E90 guys getting more attention by the tuners due to a better market. I can not blame the tuners as it is business.

Bit of a ramble here. I am just curious about the thought process of those who are dedicated to moving this platform forward whether for business or personal reasons.
Boy.....well I went through this many years back and honestly I love this car so decided to push whatever I could out of it....does it cost more than you get out of it...yes it does but I just had to see what could be done.

I agree that spending the amount I have on this car would have made the Porsche I have crazy fast but people have done that already so wanted to be different. Sometimes it's the boredom in me that makes me want to push the limits further.....I am a little nutty that way, the hardest part is getting the tuners onboard so that they can facilitate some of the mods I want.

Widebody is the last thing I want to do but eventually it maybe required as I am getting limited traction in 3rd gear now and that is not fun :(

·
Registered
204 Posts
Widebody is the last thing I want to do but eventually it maybe required as I am getting limited traction in 3rd gear now and that is not fun :(
I'd think a 305 rear drag slick should solve just about any traction problems you are having. :)

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I'd think a 305 rear drag slick should solve just about any traction problems you are having. :)
I would love to get fatter tires but no slicks on this puppy as I drive this to work 2-3 days a week and drag slicks would not last very long.

·
Registered
769 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Anything can be done. No doubt about it. But a forum-friend of mine, on another generic car forum, went down this road with TT on an E60 M5. It ended with him building this in an E46 M3 instead, because of two main reasons: no space where the turbos should be positioned for optimum performance and a "mint condition" low mileage E60 M5 is too expensive to just chop into pieces, hoping to get it to perform well. You'll have problem getting it sold and getting it through the mandatory yearly inspections and that's a big and expensive risk to take on, for most DIY:ers. When you are talking about tuning companies, it's quite the opposite. The number of high income over-class E60 owners are getting fewer and the cars are not expensive enough, to invest another $20-30k in performance parts.
The build cost of his S85 TT + gearbox and rear axle was approx $25-30k in just parts and machining. All the manual work, besides the ECU tuning, he did himself. For this money, he got approx 1400 chp on ethanol and 1100 chp on pump gas, good driveability and presumably decent longevity, as no costs were spared on the parts. Only top notch. So, it surely responds good to turbo charging, but it's the market and the fitment problems, that's been keeping the tuners away from our S85's. Not that it would be a "weak" engine that don't respond to tuning.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
The leading tuners out there are not going to build a TT kit for such a small market, even the supercharging market is not that big so recouping the cost for R&D is not going to be easy if you are the 3rd or 4th coming into this platform.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Anything can be done. No doubt about it. But a forum-friend of mine, on another generic car forum, went down this road with TT on an E60 M5. It ended with him building this in an E46 M3 instead, because of two main reasons: no space where the turbos should be positioned for optimum performance and a "mint condition" low mileage E60 M5 is too expensive to just chop into pieces, hoping to get it to perform well. You'll have problem getting it sold and getting it through the mandatory yearly inspections and that's a big and expensive risk to take on, for most DIY:ers. When you are talking about tuning companies, it's quite the opposite. The number of high income over-class E60 owners are getting fewer and the cars are not expensive enough, to invest another $20-30k in performance parts.
The build cost of his S85 TT + gearbox and rear axle was approx $25-30k in just parts and machining. All the manual work, besides the ECU tuning, he did himself. For this money, he got approx 1400 chp on ethanol and 1100 chp on pump gas, good driveability and presumably decent longevity, as no costs were spared on the parts. Only top notch. So, it surely responds good to turbo charging, but it's the market and the fitment problems, that's been keeping the tuners away from our S85's. Not that it would be a "weak" engine that don't respond to tuning.
Would this happen to be that car?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09RRavdW3C0

·
Registered
769 Posts
21 - 40 of 64 Posts