BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this topic has been discussed to death. But there's still nothing available or in the works? This platform has been out for the good part of 14+ Years. And all we have is an $15k+ supercharger & $5k headers?!! to show for it? Now everyone and there mothers complaint is. (NO ROOM!) But what about a rear mounted turbo kit? I Mean sure a top mounted single e60 m5 would kill a puppy with every rev and make grown men cry. lol But if there making the same power what do we care? Someone needs to step it up!

going to be contacting http://www.ststurbo.com to see what they say.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
From a business standpoint, it doesn't make much sense, IMO. You are talking about a pretty limited market considering the amount of M5s made and still on the road. Also, you are dealing with a high compression engine designed to rev. Sounds like a ton of R&D with a lot of risk and not much profit in the long run.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
what he said...

From a business standpoint, it doesn't make much sense, IMO. You are talking about a pretty limited market considering the amount of M5s made and still on the road. Also, you are dealing with a high compression engine designed to rev. Sounds like a ton of R&D with a lot of risk and not much profit in the long run.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you look at the Gallardo, it does well with boost because it is a high revving high volumetric efficiency motor. Because it is built to put out great power in naturally aspirated form boost goes a long way.

The Gallardo revs very high for what it is despite having a 84.5mm bore and 92.8mm stroke. Yes, it is an undersquare design which you do not traditionally see rev high. The LP-560 revs to 8500 rpm and at that rpm has a piston speed of 5175 feet per minute which is insanely high.

The S85 V10 on the other hand has a stroke of 75.2mm being a high revving oversquare design. This means at 8500 rpm its piston speed is 4194 feet per minute. This means the S85 V10 engine components are not quite as stressed as the Gallardo's. It also means the S85 V10 has far more room to increase its stroke than the Gallardo for greater displacement. You could in theory have a 5.7 liter S85 V10 twin turbo that at 8500 rpm from an 85mm stroke would have piston speeds at 4740 feet per minute. More displacement, yet lower piston speeds than the Gallardo in stock form.

I really don't understand why people don't see this. I don't understand how people can call the M5/M6 weak when the potential there is really greater than... anything. It's harder to do turbos on the platform because the cars using the motor do not have a mid-engine layout. Space constraints mean serious skill is necessary. Not to mention the tuning necessary to accompany this.

also for any M/// or AMG Aftermarket you can make a killing $5-7k for an exhaust that cost maybe $700 to have made? 15k for a supercharger that cost 3500 - 4000k wholesale. gimme a break people will buy anything. Trust me all the vendors are laughing all the way to the bank.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
true. but you fail to realize that the market for this car is no longer top dollar owners. people in the gallardo income bracket are going to be willing to spend the money for these type of kits. so the companies are more willing to put in the money on R&D and make it back.

look at avg prices of used M5s and M6s now....people are able to afford them sure, but drop another 15k on a turbo kit? maybe not.....which isnt the case with gallardo owners....they will have more expendable income. add to that look at the car value to mod expenditure ratio too. 100k and 20k investment on performance vs 30k and 15k investment on performance...i dont see it happening at a frequency great enough for companies to take the risk.

too small a market and the market caters to a much different group of people....so you cant really compare the two beyond the number of cylinders in each ;)

If you look at the Gallardo, it does well with boost because it is a high revving high volumetric efficiency motor. Because it is built to put out great power in naturally aspirated form boost goes a long way.

The Gallardo revs very high for what it is despite having a 84.5mm bore and 92.8mm stroke. Yes, it is an undersquare design which you do not traditionally see rev high. The LP-560 revs to 8500 rpm and at that rpm has a piston speed of 5175 feet per minute which is insanely high.

The S85 V10 on the other hand has a stroke of 75.2mm being a high revving oversquare design. This means at 8500 rpm its piston speed is 4194 feet per minute. This means the S85 V10 engine components are not quite as stressed as the Gallardo's. It also means the S85 V10 has far more room to increase its stroke than the Gallardo for greater displacement. You could in theory have a 5.7 liter S85 V10 twin turbo that at 8500 rpm from an 85mm stroke would have piston speeds at 4740 feet per minute. More displacement, yet lower piston speeds than the Gallardo in stock form.

I really don't understand why people don't see this. I don't understand how people can call the M5/M6 weak when the potential there is really greater than... anything. It's harder to do turbos on the platform because the cars using the motor do not have a mid-engine layout. Space constraints mean serious skill is necessary. Not to mention the tuning necessary to accompany this.

also for any M/// or AMG Aftermarket you can make a killing $5-7k for an exhaust that cost maybe $700 to have made? 15k for a supercharger that cost 3500 - 4000k wholesale. gimme a break people will buy anything. Trust me all the vendors are laughing all the way to the bank.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
true. but you fail to realize that the market for this car is no longer top dollar owners. people in the gallardo income bracket are going to be willing to spend the money for these type of kits. so the companies are more willing to put in the money on R&D and make it back.

look at avg prices of used M5s and M6s now....people are able to afford them sure, but drop another 15k on a turbo kit? maybe not.....which isnt the case with gallardo owners....they will have more expendable income. add to that look at the car value to mod expenditure ratio too. 100k and 20k investment on performance vs 30k and 15k investment on performance...i dont see it happening at a frequency great enough for companies to take the risk.

too small a market and the market caters to a much different group of people....so you cant really compare the two beyond the number of cylinders in each ;)
true. Agreed.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You can still build an sts turbo kit for this car. Theres a bmw m6 out there running 6s in a 1/4 thats twin turbo. Just saying, and its a v10. So yes you can do it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The s85 would respond to boost extremely well, even in totally stock form. High reving high volumetric efficiency motors can get some amazing numbers. There are tons of 500-600whp Hondas running around with completely stock engines. A "street" turbo kit on a Honda S2000 makes 400whp easily on pump gas at low boost.

But yeah, the space. I'm sure with some cutting, welding, and work, you could make it work. If I wasn't afraid to cut the hell out of my car and had an extra M5 worth of money burning a hole in my pocket I'd turbo my M5 in a heartbeat!

Turbo S85 V10 in that upside down country, sounds amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myrep2aIgbw

·
Registered
258 Posts
are you going to tell us more or do we have to call a mod up in here to ban you :grrrrr::grrrrr::grrrrr:
I'm waiting for the mods to approve a new account first. Once that's done I'll be able to possibly go over want I'm saying. I don't know if the shop wants people to know about this that's why I said "it's in the works" . I recently found out about it so did troy jeup. Now take a deep breathe we all want a twin turbo kit ASAP lol trust me I know I do

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nice to hear one is in the works.. Not sure when they started but i say give it about 2 years to be completed.. On the other hand, that crap about no room is bull ****. Gintani was able to get twin turbo kit in the s65 m3 which has no room.. I wouldnt be suprised if its gintani working on a m5 kit. What i really prefer is a positive displacement supercharger like harrop is making for the s65 m3. They already are selling local kits.

Im giving this e60 m5 2-3 years, then im moving to a harrop supercharged e92 m3 and a f10 m5.. Just waiting for prices to come down on both, and some proven time on the harrop supercharger

·
Registered
258 Posts
Are you referring to the TT funnycar made by V.S Motors? If so, that's hardly an M6.
No sir I am not I just used that as an example, although you consider it a funny car it's still a twin turbo s85 engine. That said , I'm just waiting on approval of something and a thread will come up answering a lot

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
That VS car is nowhere near what we could do with a street driven car, spoke to them guys years ago and they told me this is not just a normal bolt on package for an S85.

Vids been around for years.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts