BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote this today and sent it to every service advisor and the Manager, ***'t Manager, and Director of Service at the dealership I go to with my M5.

Messrs. Kobell and Berry,

Be advised that I brought my 2000 M5 in for service on Monday the 29th, and picked it up
at approximately 6:30 pm on Friday the 2d of September, ticket # BMCS479385. I was shocked
by how poorly the vehicle was treated and flabbergasted at the response I received from Classic.

Everyone on your staff KNOWS how to win and keep customers. The chain of events I am going to relate
is a textbook example of how to LOSE and alienate a customer.

1) Fri. evening I noticed a large dent in the middle of my hood, created from the inside
of the engine compartment by something left inside and the hood was shut upon it.

I came back to the service bay around 10 AM on the 30th and had to "convince" the SA that I needed the
situation rectified and a loaner car, regardless of dealership policy. This gentlemen was not the
least bit conciliatory about the damage done to my car or the events that followed. I felt like I had
inconvenienced him in some way. He rated an A+ for bad customer service skills, or in other measures about equal with
any Chevrolet dealership I have had the poor luck of visiting.

2) Next I noticed my fan shroud was smashed and shop rag material stuck to the damaged areas,
presumably from whatever was left in the engine compartment.

3) The car was wheezing on Friday at pickup when the A/C was on and it smelled odd inside because
the ducts from the cabin micro-filter housings to the cabin were now MISSING.

4) I noticed the belly pan under the car was also missing.

At this point I said I'd probably feel better if the car was left at Classic, and re-checked thoroughly for any more
missing engine parts.

The SA replied that this was nothing to be alarmed about, and that I could come back on Tuesday with the car and start over again,
and that dent would pop right out! No loaner either because of the long weekend.

At this point I was so bewildered by the car's condition and the SA's behavior I was speechless. We did get a loaner after much hand wringing
and "checking with the manager" (who I could see thru the glass never got off his butt to say simply, "wow I am so sorry, we'll take care of you I promise!" )
and left.

That's all it would have taken.

This lack of excellence in service was so beyond bad that I feel I must let you and your staff know just what occurred with my M5.

Please discuss this with your GM, and with the technician that worked on my car. Who can look out for my vehicle if Classic cannot?

I would like for Classic to WIN my business back.

I can be reached at 214.263.0948

Respectfully,

Alex Einspruch

·
Registered
837 Posts
Thats a horroififc story, I hope you recieve some sort of compensation, best of luck, Josh

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have also had to write letters to dealers and thisfar i have gotten a good responds from it.
What i try to do is emailing and faxing the station manager and maybe the servicemanager and let them sort the mess out.

I hope it gets solved in a good way.

·
10,458 Posts
this was on some letterhead, right Alex??? :eek:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I would also CC copies of that letter to your local BBB(Better Business Bureau), Local Chamber of Commerce, your Local DMV, and BMWNA.

That should put a bit of fire under their ***.:mad:

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Beamer_usa makes a good point. I would say at least send it to BMWNA. I recently had a bad experience with a service advisor, but I felt much better when BMWNA called to ask about my satisfaction with the visit and I had a chance to explain it all to them.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
The cars are so good that there will always be enough people wanting the cars no matter how bad the service is.

The sad thing is that the dealers know they can get away with anything.

The really insane thing is that BMW NA let them get away with it.

I can only conclude BMW must like bad dealers. If they did not they would revoke the francises for many dealers.

It would be great if the culture changed for the better, but when BMW posts record sales each month, what is their incentive to drive and demand that change?

David

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Beamer_usa said:
I would also CC copies of that letter to your local BBB(Better Business Bureau), Local Chamber of Commerce, your Local DMV, and BMWNA.

That should put a bit of fire under their ***.:mad:

Good Luck
Apologies for the double post

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. Makes me crazy. But I think you're handling this exactly the right way. As for copying BMWNA, I would save that for the 2nd letter (you can include a copy of the first) if they don't satisfy you. And if you have to send a 3rd, then copy the prior 2 and include all, cc: the BBB and "M Brand Manager" at BMWNA - used to be Tom Purves but I think its a different guy now - someone on the board will know....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was reading this letter and there is no excuse forf poor treatment. But the other reply's after the inital letter amaze me....

I am a Service Advisor in California for a BMW store. I am going to respond to make you aware of how it works.

BMWNA "in my personal experience" does not care about your satisfaction. They have an $8.50 perr hour employee fielding complaints. In Alev 8 's situation he/she would have called the repair center and contacted the service manager and asked so what are you going to do to help alev8? Service manager states what the plan is, then this is docummented and if alev8 disappears after the innitial contact BMWNA asume that it is taken care of, with no followup call other than the call to let them know what the center is going to do to repair whatever damaged was caused. Nice hu???? There are 2 ways of taking care of situations like these, calling the BBB was an excellent idea if the center is not willing to take care of the damage that it sounds like they were guilty of. The other is to copy the owner and if purchased at that center they will roll out the red carpet, if not threatning the dealer with bad CSI calls are the worst for most dealers.

Sounds like alev8 is beinng takencare of and i am glad that this is finally comming together for you.

1 more thing i have to say is that the Customer Satisfaction Inquiry call that you recieve from BMWNA is a scoring system only the way it works is that they call from a hired outside company that reports to John Robert Powers scoring system and a scoring system is all it is. Your reports get faxed to the dealer and they are looking for a great survey from you and all of your comments and scores are ignored by BMW only by the center are they even reviewed unless you individual dealer is the worst in the region then they will have there sales liscense in relation to BMWNA revoked. All others in the region are looking for an award. It is called the Center of Excellence award going to the top 5 dealers in the nation and means big dollars to the dealer and your service advisor. The best tip you can give your Service advisor for doing a good job or establishing a great relationship with him/her is to rate them all 5'S this goes a long way due to the above statement. You need to search out and find someone that you get along with and that you trust to get the job done. I believe i am that person and that i do a great job and when people do not understand what a pain in the *** it is to hear that someone is upset because the cashier looked at them wrong or that the service advisor did not smile when it is 7:00 am and they just got thier *** ripped due to the CSI being low and then right out the shoot have to help someone frusturates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So in closing help if noone else help your service advisor because he will be able to help you in the long run, with prices, goodwill warranty issues. If you burn me i remember and when it comes time that you need help and my CSI scores are and have been low and you have been the one taking the calls and responding to the calls from BMW,
I WILL NOT HELP YOU!!

Remember you scratch my back and i will scratch yours.

And for all the rest who replyed sounds like you guys think the dealer is out to get you and that since 1985 is not true. Service and repairs are expensive and there is not but a few left out there willing to risk thier carrier for a few extra bucks on thier paycheck....

I hope these comments help to help you at your service center.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Arburk,

Welcome to the board! Thanks for posting.

Don´t get us wrong, we very much encourage building good working relationships with SAs and Techs. We appreciate the really good pros a lot.

Myself, I have the good fortune of knowing a few top notch BMW service SAs, and Techs in Germany. Amazing people who have extremely deep knowledge.

Arburk, do you agree that there is a huge span between the best and the worst professionals?

Do you agree that a dealer selling BMWs have extremely attractive products?

Do you agree there are dealers who take advantage of their customers lack of knowledge?

What I would like to see is BMW better encouraging dealerships to treat customers well. I do not mean to encourage anything other than professionalism. Sucking up and fake smiling is not professionalism. I don´t care if the SA smiles. I care about getting good advice, getting straight answers, and getting the car back on scheduled time with as few incidents as possible. If there are any damage done at the dealer, then I want full and open disclosure, and I want the damage fixed.

I could tell you insane horror stories from BMW service in Sweden...

I think a minimum reqirement of an SA is that the SA shall always look in the TIS when he is uncertain about something. I also think that the SA ought to know more about the car than the owner.

Of course SAs have to know many car models, so it is not an even playing field.

I have often experienced in Sweden that they don´t even bother to look in the TIS before declaring "That is perfectly normal."

Then I go to Germany, and they say "That is not good. We will fix it right away, and I will ask BMW to pay for it."

It is such a huge difference in how the SAs treat you between Sweden and Germany. From what I have read on this board, the situation in most places in the US is pretty much as bad as in Sweden.

I have had BMW Sweden tell me outright lies about the Vanos redesigns. When I have confronted them with documents from BMW Germany prooving their lies, the response has been "what? Those are secret BMW documents!", when in fact it is documents I got openly from a BMW dealer.

Cheers!

David

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
About the BMW service polls, I think those ought to be kept from the dealership, precisely to avoid getting the polls skewed because people are afraid of telling exactly how good or how bad the service experience was, fearing getting less favourable treatment from the SA.

The present "fear and intimidation" system is highly unfair to the really good dealerships. Those who truly have earned their high customer satisfaction scores.

David

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with your statement that we as Sa's should knnow more thatn the client and should visit the TIS and SIB information as much as possible to keep updated and informed.... there is no excuse for lack of knowledge and i pride myself of the knowledge and when not sure i find out the correct answer, but mabye i am outside the norm..

I have been working as a SA for 15 years and 2.5 for BMW and i will give you that the average BMW owner is more knowledgeable than any other car manufacturer aside from Mercedes Benz. This beinng said there is alot to say for the BMW client. I myself believe in the BMW product, it is the Ultimate Driving Machine, and in believing this statement i own an X3 and newly purchased an M5 (E39).

Also the reason i put such a lengthly message on the board is to help to educate everyone here that in exchange for good/great CSI scores open the door wide open for the dealer to lend a helping hand. This also said because after 12 months or 10,000 miles if a part on a BMW fails it is the dealer itself that absorbes the cost of repair. BMW corp will not participate with any cost of repair, even if they know that a SIB will repair the problem that they have been having since the car has been under warranty. This is where this information will help all of you.

I wish not to complain just to inform as I have 2 BMW's in my family and having the M5 i am now a BMW owner for life, wish you all the knowledge i have to help in your ownership of your BMW/BMW's. I want to help and know the previous post was a little harsh due ignorance of the BMW policy in relation to the Dealer policy.

Really i hope this helps. and let me know if i can help further.

Just remember Great CSI score (all 5's) is like a huge tip to your SA even if he/she does not deserve it due to what you will recieve in return.

Just giving you and ace in your pocket!!!!!!!!!!

Arburk2
DavidS said:
Arburk,

Welcome to the board! Thanks for posting.

Don´t get us wrong, we very much encourage building good working relationships with SAs and Techs. We appreciate the really good pros a lot.

Myself, I have the good fortune of knowing a few top notch BMW service SAs, and Techs in Germany. Amazing people who have extremely deep knowledge.

Arburk, do you agree that there is a huge span between the best and the worst professionals?

Do you agree that a dealer selling BMWs have extremely attractive products?

Do you agree there are dealers who take advantage of their customers lack of knowledge?

What I would like to see is BMW better encouraging dealerships to treat customers well. I do not mean to encourage anything other than professionalism. Sucking up and fake smiling is not professionalism. I don´t care if the SA smiles. I care about getting good advice, getting straight answers, and getting the car back on scheduled time with as few incidents as possible. If there are any damage done at the dealer, then I want full and open disclosure, and I want the damage fixed.

I could tell you insane horror stories from BMW service in Sweden...

I think a minimum reqirement of an SA is that the SA shall always look in the TIS when he is uncertain about something. I also think that the SA ought to know more about the car than the owner.

Of course SAs have to know many car models, so it is not an even playing field.

I have often experienced in Sweden that they don´t even bother to look in the TIS before declaring "That is perfectly normal."

Then I go to Germany, and they say "That is not good. We will fix it right away, and I will ask BMW to pay for it."

It is such a huge difference in how the SAs treat you between Sweden and Germany. From what I have read on this board, the situation in most places in the US is pretty much as bad as in Sweden.

I have had BMW Sweden tell me outright lies about the Vanos redesigns. When I have confronted them with documents from BMW Germany prooving their lies, the response has been "what? Those are secret BMW documents!", when in fact it is documents I got openly from a BMW dealer.

Cheers!

David

·
Registered
11 Posts
and i agree with your statement but as in all manufacturers this is a learning tool to better hold your client needs and wants to better yourself...

but understand there is alot of money out there for great CSI and will never change. The dealer must know, but in retrospect they use it as a black list for most and if you will remember that survey return when you came back to that same dealer for service and better yet the same SA and i bet you will see a huge change in attitude. You will see you will not be helped by the same person in fear that you will again score him low , or will not be helped by him at all. Changing the person you deal with and when you have moved through them all you will then probably go to another dealership in hopes that they will treat you well..... i am apart of a dealer that has held Service of Excellence award 5 years and running still i see the change in help you will recieve when the scores are high in relation to them being low.

food for thought.
DavidS said:
About the BMW service polls, I think those ought to be kept from the dealership, precisely to avoid getting the polls skewed because people are afraid of telling exactly how good or how bad the service experience was, fearing getting less favourable treatment from the SA.

The present "fear and intimidation" system is highly unfair to the really good dealerships. Those who truly have earned their high customer satisfaction scores.

David

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
From reading your posts I gather you are the kind of SA who takes his job seriously, and takes pride in getting constantly better at it. Maybe that is the attitude that got you your present job at a successful dealership?

For the polls to serve as learning tools and feedback, do the polls in your opinion need to be reported down to individual detail to the dealership?

I think you are the kind of person that would benefit very much from the abolishment of the present tit-for-tat system, as you would get good scores anyway, wheras the scores for the average SAs would be lower.

Today it is like the Olympcis where everyone gets a lot of gold medals by scaring the spectators to vote for them. It is absurd.

With the BMW car product being so good, why does BMW not take advantage of the situation to improve the dealer network. I think there are rather few car dealerships who would not rather sell BMWs than whatever they sell right now.

To me the BMW car has a refinement not matched by the service organization in general, at least not in Sweden.

In Sweden the attitude is: if you don´t like it here, take your car elsewhere. Well, there aren´t very many "elsewheres" to go to, and the dealerships know that.

David

·
Registered
11 Posts
and that is the reason for my frusteration. i feel i do what it takes to get great scores but i am average on the scale. and i put forth the effort to make it a good learning experience for my clients as i think that this is the way tol get it done by learning and establishing freindships. that my friend is getting lost in the translation of the service questionaire.....
DavidS said:
From reading your posts I gather you are the kind of SA who takes his job seriously, and takes pride in getting constantly better at it. Maybe that is the attitude that got you your present job at a successful dealership?

For the polls to serve as learning tools and feedback, do the polls in your opinion need to be reported down to individual detail to the dealership?

I think you are the kind of person that would benefit very much from the abolishment of the present tit-for-tat system, as you would get good scores anyway, wheras the scores for the average SAs would be lower.

Today it is like the Olympcis where everyone gets a lot of gold medals by scaring the spectators to vote for them. It is absurd.

With the BMW car product being so good, why does BMW not take advantage of the situation to improve the dealer network. I think there are rather few car dealerships who would not rather sell BMWs than whatever they sell right now.

To me the BMW car has a refinement not matched by the service organization in general, at least not in Sweden.

In Sweden the attitude is: if you don´t like it here, take your car elsewhere. Well, there aren´t very many "elsewheres" to go to, and the dealerships know that.

David

·
Registered
11 Posts
and i agree with your statement but as in all manufacturers this is a learning tool to better hold your client needs and wants to better yourself...

but understand there is alot of money out there for great CSI and will never change. The dealer must know, but in retrospect they use it as a black list for most and if you will remember that survey return when you came back to that same dealer for service and better yet the same SA and i bet you will see a huge change in attitude. You will see you will not be helped by the same person in fear that you will again score him low , or will not be helped by him at all. Changing the person you deal with and when you have moved through them all you will then probably go to another dealership in hopes that they will treat you well..... i am apart of a dealer that has held Service of Excellence award 5 years and running still i see the change in help you will recieve when the scores are high in relation to them being low.

food for thought.
DavidS said:

David

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Maybe you are a True Car Enthusiast, and some of your clients simply are not and don´t care to get educated, they just want the car to drive well right now. They don´t care about Why and How, they just want the expensive car fixed ASAP.

Perhaps your drive to educate will be better appreciated with people who are members here.

I bet you will get a few new clients from activity here.

Cheers!

David

·
Registered
11 Posts
i meant help in understanding/educatinng when needed if wanted. if not i try to get the car completed as fast as possible... i hope to make some lasting friends and help some people while apart of this board. i have read some interesting things since joining and have recieved some great advise so far ad will be passing them along as needed.

thanks and hope to help!!!

DavidS said:
Maybe you are a True Car Enthusiast, and some of your clients simply are not and don´t care to get educated, they just want the car to drive well right now. They don´t care about Why and How, they just want the expensive car fixed ASAP.

Perhaps your drive to educate will be better appreciated with people who are members here.

I bet you will get a few new clients from activity here.

Cheers!

David

1 - 20 of 20 Posts