BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my first oil change with a vacuum pump, took me about 30min including filter. You remove the dipstick, insert the dipstick tube to the bottom of the oil pan, give the handle a few strokes to build vacuum, and just watch the reservoir fill up with used oil. Sucked my oil pan dry, filled to the top at just under 7QT.

If you're still using ramps and wrenching drain plugs, or using the dealer for oil changes, a pump saves you considerable time and effort or time and $$, depending on your chosen method. And in the case of using a dealer, no more worries about too much, too little or what oil they used. :eek:oohhh:

For cars with no access to the filter topside, the pump is of marginal value because you still have to get under the car to change the filter. I'd have to empty it twice to do an oil change for my Ford 7.3L Powerstroke and I can get under my Jeep without ramps, so no real utility there.

But in the case of the E39 M, I didn't even have to change my clothes.

Very cool gadget. Mine is from Griot's, 6.8QT capacity, but would guess they are relatively generic items. Best thing is I never have to visit a dealer again for a routine oil change. :biggrin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for this, I'm getting ready to change my oil for the first time in my beast and I think I'm going to go this route! Any harm in doing this technique every time? I see the oil filter kit comes with a washer or bolt for the underside (drain). I'm guessing this is just a precaution in case something goes wrong, ie nothing that you need to worry about?

Thanks- Chris

·
Registered
974 Posts
I see the oil filter kit comes with a washer or bolt for the underside (drain). I'm guessing this is just a precaution in case something goes wrong, ie nothing that you need to worry about?
Every-time I change the oil I toss out the old washer and replace it with a new one. I've used the same bolt but its always good to examine them.

·
Registered
465 Posts
One benefit of taking down the filter housing

You can take a look to see if there is anything funky in it. Not a huge concern but worth doing periodically.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Late to the party but, when I used my extractor for the first time, I didn't slightly unscrew the oil filter and I think I created a vacuum of sorts on the inside 'cause it was a HUGE PITA to remove the oil filter cap, so much so that I had to buy a wrench to remove the cap. My tip would be to unscrew the oil filter cap bit before sucking out all the oil.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If you ever move to an E60 M5...You will be selling that thing :(

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I could change the oil in my E39 M5 literally without tools...Hand tighten the oil filter housing, no more problems with mounts shearing...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
bmwluvr4evr
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing