BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the thoughts on changing Differential and transmission fluids? I have a 2000 M5 with 113,000 miles and as far as i can tell these have not been done. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I think the general consensus is, yes, do them if they've not been done, not difficult if you can get under the car, and should make improvements in smoothness and shift quality.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It makes a difference, easy and cheap to do ......... so do it.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Scott many here have gone to Royal Purple Synchromax tranny fluid to help get rid of notchy shifting when the tranny is cold. And because the lifetime fill thing is b.s. I have to say that it certainly helped me re: the notchiness, but it's not perfect.

It's quite easy to do. There are threads on here w/ instructions. I did mine with ramps up front, hydraulic jacks in the rear, and a small $10 hand pump. The only retailer near me (NJ/PA) that shelves the manual tranny fluid is Pep Boys so call around. Same place had the pump. You need 2 quarts to do it. You may not see it weep out the fill hole after 2 quarts, but its enough. Like 2 more ounces gets it to overflow so the 3rd bottle becomes a $20 garage ornament...like mine.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Scott many here have gone to Royal Purple Synchromax tranny fluid to help get rid of notchy shifting when the tranny is cold. And because the lifetime fill thing is b.s. I have to say that it certainly helped me re: the notchiness, but it's not perfect.

The concensus is that it is NEW fluid that impacts how the tranny shifts- and not the BRAND that matters. Every report i've read about "less notchy" has been someone changing 75000 mile fluid for new.

I cannot recall a direct "new LTF BMW" versus "new RP"....

So change the fluid, DO NOT convince yourself any one fluid is superior.

IMO

A

·
Registered
276 Posts

It's quite easy to do. There are threads on here w/ instructions. I did mine with ramps up front, hydraulic jacks in the rear, and a small $10 hand pump. The only retailer near me (NJ/PA) that shelves the manual tranny fluid is Pep Boys so call around. Same place had the pump. You need 2 quarts to do it. You may not see it weep out the fill hole after 2 quarts, but its enough. Like 2 more ounces gets it to overflow so the 3rd bottle becomes a $20 garage ornament...like mine.

where is a good place to buy the Royal Purple Synchromax tranny fluid? I live in Germany, so it would have to be some online shop. can you recommend one?

how about the differential? what fluid do you recommend for that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts