BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to tackle the Fuel filter and 545i Short shifter tomorrow. I still do not have a Service jack, stands or Ramps.

Hoping to go out and buy some tomorrow. Can you guys recommend some decent brands and places to get them from.
I have read too many horror stories online regarding leaky and faulty service jacks. Found a couple of "kits" at Northern tools and Sears but am a little apprehensive about a "kit" that costs $69.00 (at Northern tools).

I am sorry if this has been asked/discussed in the past.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Don't skimp on the jack. You can get rhino ramps anywhere. I have two sets of the big orange stands.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I am hoping to tackle the Fuel filter and 545i Short shifter tomorrow. I still do not have a Service jack, stands or Ramps.

Hoping to go out and buy some tomorrow. Can you guys recommend some decent brands and places to get them from.
I have read too many horror stories online regarding leaky and faulty service jacks. Found a couple of "kits" at Northern tools and Sears but am a little apprehensive about a "kit" that costs $69.00 (at Northern tools).

I am sorry if this has been asked/discussed in the past.

One day I'll have this jack.
Amazon.com: AC Hydraulic DK13HLQ Floor Jack: Industrial & Scientific

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Search around this thread and E46fanatics and you should see a number of folks that have make their own "Home Depo" ramps out of 2x10 or 2x12 lumber. Some have used pressure treated, however, I would not waste my money on pressure treat.

You stack up 4-5 pieces, stagger the lengths and put an angle cut on the entry to make a 22-30 degree ramp on the end, make sure to put a stop block on the end and nail or screw them together. Some folks make them full length so they can drive both sets of wheels up on them. They may be a bit heavy, but you can make them in less than 1 hour and pick the parts up locally.

I plan on putting something like this together in the next few days if I have time.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Expensive and reliable are two different things. I haven't seen or heard of any safety-related issues surrounding chinese-made steel 2 to 3 ton floor jacks selling in the $45 to $80 range or beefy jack stand kits (selling at Harbor Freight, Walmart, Auto Zone & various auto/shop discount stores).

I used my 10 year old $45 Harbor Freight 2-1/2 ton steel floor jack to repair the foundation on my great grandfather's house. It is heavy and cumbersome but I trusted it with my life many times. It laughs at large cars and easily handles 1 ton dualie trucks.

However I would be more cautious choosing a cheap ($80) lightweight low profile aluminum jack (typically rated 1-1/2 Ton) because material strength, welds & engineering design become paramount. These jacks may be better suited for changing tires on a 2600lb compact econobox.

PS: Northern and Sears are typically about 25% higher cost than Harbor Freight for the same Chinese tools painted a different color.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I picked up a Black Jack (from Torin) floor jack from Costco for $99. For ramps I used the rusty old things I've been using
for 20 years. I had to use some 2X6's to get the airdam to clear the approach. I also used them on the back wheels to
gain that extra wee bit to get the jack under the diff. A PITA the first time, piece of cake now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got raceramps under the tree this year, I havent used them yet, but they look real nice, and they are nice and light. I still cant figure how Santa got them down the chimney?

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have a Craftsman Jack and Stands. Very happy with them. The jack is a special high lift one that I got for my lifted jeep (RIP). Very handy for my Pathfinder.... Last time I used it I jacked from the diff using a piece of hard foam to protect the diff cover...

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I don't care what jack you have it is foolish to trust it with your life-- use jack stands or blocks before you crawl under your car. Even the best 2-post lifts have a mechanical safety system... there's no glory in going out having been smushed by your own car!

If your budget and time frame allows take a look at AC Jacks, or others at Car Lifts. Auto Lifts. Garage Shop Equipment. Automotive Service Equipment.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I finally picked up one a decent jack from Napa a few years ago (link below). I've been pretty happy with it. I looked into the aluminum jacks, but saw a lot of poor reviews overall. Basically aluminum jacks have one real benefit - they are easier to move. I decided I could roll my heavy steel jack around and would just deal with it...not a big deal really.

Store Locator | NAPA Online

·
Registered
42 Posts
I looked into the aluminum jacks, but saw a lot of poor reviews overall. Basically aluminum jacks have one real benefit - they are easier to move. I decided I could roll my heavy steel jack around and would just deal with it...not a big deal really.

Store Locator | NAPA Online
+1 to that !

·
Registered
120 Posts
I bought some rhino ramps to do a ssk last week since I some how misplaced my jack (had a craftsmen jack and stands from sears)

Lets say the ramps are great for oil charges or anything in the front of the car but it didn't give me much room to work around the shifter. Had to do the whole install one handed.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I bought some rhino ramps to do a ssk last week since I some how misplaced my jack (had a craftsmen jack and stands from sears)

Lets say the ramps are great for oil charges or anything in the front of the car but it didn't give me much room to work around the shifter. Had to do the whole install one handed.
We have some pretty good aluminium jacks in the uk.
Northern tools do them I think.....around £200..???

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picked up a set of 12000 Rhino ramps yesterday so I can at least get under the car and will keep an eye out for a decent set of jack/stands combo.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Beware on the fuel filter, the biggest PITA of that job is not swapping out the filter, or even opening the fuel pressure valve before disconnecting the filter [don't forget that] but pushing the plastic cover out of the way that covers the fuel filter. HUGE PITA! I spend more time dealing with that cover and getting around it than anything else in that job.

A lift would make that short work of swapping out the filter because jack stands just don't get the ///M high enough to move the cover all the way out to the side of the vehicle.

Also, you may want to make sure that you have some new fuel injection hose clamps [solid ring clamps compared to slotted ring clamps.] I buggered mine up beyond re-use when I changed the filter on my 540iT.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Beware on the fuel filter, the biggest PITA of that job is not swapping out the filter, or even opening the fuel pressure valve before disconnecting the filter [don't forget that] but pushing the plastic cover out of the way that covers the fuel filter. HUGE PITA! I spend more time dealing with that cover and getting around it than anything else in that job.

A lift would make that short work of swapping out the filter because jack stands just don't get the ///M high enough to move the cover all the way out to the side of the vehicle.

Also, you may want to make sure that you have some new fuel injection hose clamps [solid ring clamps compared to slotted ring clamps.] I buggered mine up beyond re-use when I changed the filter on my 540iT.

Thank you for the tips, really appreciate it!

The fuel pressure valve? is that the one that looks like the air pressure valve? Do I just loosen it till gas flows and the system is depressurized?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts