BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone advise me or point me in the direction of some information regarding the "floating calipers" fitted to the last E34 M5s???

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Not calipers, but floating rotors.

Look close and you can see that the Al rotor 'floats' around the spindle via pins. This saves weight and supposedly resists warping as the rotor can cool independent of the spindle. There are concerns that they are more prone to cracking, though. :confused:

You want the rotors for a `95 MY M5. The part #s are:

Rotors: 34 11 2 227 735/736
Calipers: 34 11 2 227 115/116
I have the Euro floating rotors on my E36 M3. I don't think they necessarily perform any better than the stock solid rotors, but they look cool. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK Im not entirely with this yet....the disc (rotor) is attached to the spindle via a series of pins? Is this correct? Any better diags etc would be appreciated.

Just purely from an interest point of view.
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
toxicfrog said:
OK Im not entirely with this yet....the disc (rotor) is attached to the spindle via a series of pins? Is this correct? Any better diags etc would be appreciated.

Just purely from an interest point of view.
Thanks
Paul
Here's a nice exploded diagram

The rotor disk is mounted to the central spindle/hub via the pins on the circumference of the spindle (the part with the embossed ///M on it), thus 'floating' around the spindle rather than the rotor and spindle being a single piece as seen below

·
Registered
970 Posts
There's this url: http://bmwe34m5.com/faqs/?theme=1&l...27&chapitre_id_select=37&document_id_select=3

Shows a bit more detail.

Also, having changed from the 315mm to the 345mm discs, I can assure anyone that the breaking performance is massively enhanced. No heat problems as I experienced with numerous warped discs with my original 315mm discs. Stopping distances seem like they are halved. No problems with front/back bias (the original rear discs are 300mm, the matching later rears are 328mm).

Cheers

Brian

Gop-Dogg said:
Here's a nice exploded diagram

The rotor disk is mounted to the central spindle/hub via the pins on the circumference of the spindle (the part with the embossed ///M on it), thus 'floating' around the spindle rather than the rotor and spindle being a single piece as seen below

·
Registered
646 Posts
So much for not warping!!

I had a set replaced under warranty just last week, they were fitted in April 2004 and the car only did 6,000 miles since then, had serious judder under braking as warped! The local agents were very helpful though, didn't even charge for the fitting.

Cheers,
David.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
M5saloon said:
So much for not warping!!

I had a set replaced under warranty just last week, they were fitted in April 2004 and the car only did 6,000 miles since then, had serious judder under braking as warped! The local agents were very helpful though, didn't even charge for the fitting.

Cheers,
David.
I've had two sets of discs and 4 sets of pads in 60,000 miles - including about 12 track days.

I find that the fronts can feel a little lumpy after a couple of hard laps, and the only way to smooth them out again is to do some long, light braking to smooth them out again.

What I found was the pad deforming slightly under the heat and then requiring a little persuading to go flat again. A week later the feeling has gone - until the next track day. Maybe hotter pads would withstand the heat better (Ferodo DS2500/3000 possibly?)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts