BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhh !
my story goes kind of like

The M5, The flimsy cupholder, The Orange Mocha chip Frappichino, a big lot with only one car (my brother's), a dumb idea, and the G-Force .

Well tommorrow I am taking it to the car wash. Get this, it is cheaper for me to leave my car at the hand car wash (clean outside,vacuum/clean interior, clean wheels, armor all wheels) every day then park it at my parking lot, very cool. Of course I wont clean it every day, i wouldnt want him to do that, but i will just take a different car in each day, cars will get cleaned once every 4 days or so. One of those NJ ironies.

That cupholder is absolutely useless, do not rely on it for nothing, it is garbage. Luckily my sportive interior is black.

fas

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I'll drink to that...and hold the cup myself.

The cupholders - when deployed - hold the cups uselessly close to the dash / radio.

And in my case, the passenger's cupholder is a pain in the barista to close...it keeps popping back out!

Alps

·
Registered
101 Posts
A casual observation, not intended to offend: my experience with German cars seems to suggest that when German engineers are forced to put in a feature as a concession to the US market, they do it in a passive aggressive way; ie, if I have to put in cup holders (ridiculous in the worlds finest sport sedan) then I will do it in the least effective way. Anyone owning a 70's or 80's 911 with its after-thought, poorly implemented air conditioning system will back me up here.

Steve

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think there is a niche in American market for reinforced cupholders for European cars or even aftermarket add-on cupholders, DIY cupholders?...Every person should be able to upgrade theirs, if not satisfied with BMW items.
sorry maybe for being such a smartass, but i don't really understand why its such a big issue? personally for me there has never been an occasion to use cupholders in my car, really never and my passenegers either.
they are brand new and in pristine condition

------------------
SL

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KR,
you are right to a certain degree. The thing is that if it is put there, they should be somewhat 'fault tolerant'. I mean it is better not to put cup holders there if they will not work, then put them there and have people spill there beverages all over the car. Dont you agree?
my .02

fas

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Alright, you guys -

I USE my cupholders. There. I admitted it. I have evidently violated the secret unspoken edict of M ownership. I apologize to everyone on this board. Keep this to yourselves so we don't ruin our collective reputation.

I drink a triple grande blended with-whip mocha most days. I NEED it. Outside of sloshing out of the cup itself, I've never lost a drop; never had a cup come out of the holder on its own. The cup holders DO feel cheap, but they work fine for me.

I don't expect any cup holder to manage hot liquid at anywhere close to 1G. So - I have to forego the occasional drag race or slalom while the cup is full. Of course, if anyone wants to build a fully dampened 3-axis gyro-stablized cup holder....

There, I said it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My wife drives an E430, which has a beautifully engineered cupholder -- as long as you use it only for one cup (the passenger's). The second cupholder sits somewhat underneath the first, so the cupholder above forces the cup below to tilt to one side. But the engineering! At the push of a button the thing slides out and moves out -- almost as many separate maneuvers as the SLK convertible hardtop. Yes, I admit it -- i do use cupholders occassionally.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by fais2000:
aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhh !
my story goes kind of like

The M5, The flimsy cupholder, The Orange Mocha chip Frappichino, a big lot with only one car (my brother's), a dumb idea, and the G-Force .

Well tommorrow I am taking it to the car wash. Get this, it is cheaper for me to leave my car at the hand car wash (clean outside,vacuum/clean interior, clean wheels, armor all wheels) every day then park it at my parking lot, very cool. Of course I wont clean it every day, i wouldnt want him to do that, but i will just take a different car in each day, cars will get cleaned once every 4 days or so. One of those NJ ironies.

That cupholder is absolutely useless, do not rely on it for nothing, it is garbage. Luckily my sportive interior is black.

fas

You can now have the cuoholders replaced with a small storage compartment if you like. They snap in in place of the cupholder.

------------------

·
Registered
52 Posts
i have to say that the cup holders in the M5 do the job, and they slip neatly and cleverly away when you aren't using them, which is nice. no complaints - hold the starbucks & 12 oz no problems. As for the BigGulp - get a minivan.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Parkerfe, parts numbers please! My rear cupholder has started falling out on it's own. Since no one is ever back there, and I would not let them have a drink if they were, I'd just as soon replace it with something else. Same with the front. Is it big enough to hold sunglasses? That would be more usefull!

Mark

·
Registered
417 Posts
I believe this is what it looks like, and if I remember correctly it is available only in Europe.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by RaMsEs:
I believe this is what it looks like, and if I remember correctly it is available only in Europe.
that's a refrigerator, right?

Dany

'01 M5 - lemans blue (in production - Status 150)
'97 M3 - cosmos black

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by RaMsEs:

But that's not the rear console of am e39 M5. What is it ?

------------------

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Looks like an Audi A6 to me..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts